Racing Games for the Pandora?

porg

Does anyone know of native Pandora racing games other than Racer and AudioRace ?

Or are these yet the only one?

Does anyone know of planned ports or fresh developments?

I would love to have some kind of 3D racing game on the Pandora.

(AudioRace is 3D in perspective but practically there is no steering, but only switching between lanes)

There is N-Speed, but it is totally unsatisfying for me as the tracks are ambiguous (where to go?) and the graphics and physics are neither good nor original.

I'd like something like this too. A simple arcade racer would be perfect (on or off road!).

There are many emulated options of course, but that would be for another thread.

1) Thank you guys for all those hints. Already tested some games, and testing the remaining ones, gonna report back here once I tested 'em all.

2) A bit sad too me is the notion that all those Penguin/Linux themed games are of little originality, merely always a clone of commercial games. This is for sure also appreciated, but I like open source games even better if they have original game ideas, or create new combinations, alterations, etc. Luckily I already came across the latter kind of games as well on my Pandora! I.e. Super Geometry Dust, Shootet, 2H4U, etc

TuxKart is based on irrlicht engine, which was ported, but the oglesbranch needs work for pandora.

To make that happen, Cloudef would need to be sent a pandora asap!

http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/ could probably be ported. Looks pretty good anyway.

Last time I talked to the project team they replied that they wanted us to get a better irrlicht first. Then they will help us with the performance issues (providing lower poly-count models and such). By that time I wasnt able to find what was the performance issues.

We now have a better irrlicht (thanks to cloudef), but my focus somehow changed. If anyone want to get started, go ahead I'll assist as much as I can

There's also TORCS
This depend on Plib. The porter would need to port Plib and torcs to GLES. doable, lot's of works

Just released: GLtron. Not the racing game I am wishing for, but at least something near.

(Explanation: + Does meet my expectation - Does not meet my expectation)

+ 3D

+ Opponents

+ Not only lane switching (like AudioRacer) but freedom of movement

- No free steering (subtle angle change) but rather only 4 basic directions (90° steps)

- Other gaming principle (left traces matter, one crash ends it all)

But the original TRON Light Cycle Race also only had 90° steering in the Movie so I wouldn't count this as a Minus Point. ;)

I will test the game on the Pandora, I've played it already a while ago on the PC, at least one of the many Lightcycle racer games that are available. :) Now we just need some "SPACE PARANOIDS" Version for the Pandora. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
As written, TRON is a different gameplay concept than with classical Formula One / Rallye / etc racing games.

I am wishing for something of the latter sort on the Pandora! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, you compared it to "classical" racing games, OK. ^^""

Well, besides some Need for Speed I never palyed this genre that much, except Stunts maybe but I wouldn't call it a classic racing Game. I wonder if "Formula One Grand Prix" works well on the Pandora with DOSBOX, more classical Racing is not possible IMHO.

Besides that, there is not much Open Source Racing games available for a native Pandora port I guess.

I found some Open Source Stuff on the Webs but their HW Requirements could be a problem.

http://vdrift.net/

http://torcs.sourceforge.net/index.php

Back