What was your favourite Childhood toy?

Wow, I wasnt the only boy in the world to love Rainbow Brite? I have it on DVD now, both TV series and the film, I have actually not gotten around to watch through the TV serie yet only first 2 episodes, what a great show, and the movie is the single most amazing experience as a kid seeing cartoons, I remember my parents took me along as they were gonna play cards with friends, it was usually me and my sister and their kids hanging out then, but my sister wasnt with us that time for some reason and their kids were away also for some other reasons, so they put on a VHS with recorded cartoon shows, it was Danger Mouse at first wich I loved, then all of a sudden no more Danger Mouse episodes, instead this new stuff came on that I had never seen or heard of, the intro wasnt there so I never knew what it was, but it wasnt like anything else, this wasnt 10min episode, it just went on and on and on, a spectacular adventure unlike anything I had ever seen before, what an amazing film really!

My favorite toy overall was G.I.Joe I guess, great stuff. Something I did like more though but was very rare was ROBOTECH! My cousin introduced me to this spectacular TVserie (Macross Saga) that you could rent back then, later my parents would buy me the first 7 tapes wich was probably ep 1-14 or so, I have watched those about a bazillion dillion times and still love it as much as ever. The toys were exactly like G.I.Joe, in size and design, but were caracters and machines from the TVseries and endlessly much cooler for that, I only ever got a single caracter though, Lisa Heiz I believe she was called here, the other few they had to select didnt have a helmet and that helmet was to cool to give up so there. I also had Roy Fokkers transformable jet, not the big one that could house one of those caracters, a smaller design but still so cool!

And now I just have to talk about videogames! I think my first experience was Commodore 64, I didnt really know what it was or how it function, I remember being at my cousins place and playing it with my sister and cousin 3 player Karate, on a monitor. Im actually not sure about the title of the game, it might have been Karate? Anyway, we thaught it was great fun.

Then some time after, I just remember a flash of seeing my cousin play Super Mario Bros on their TV as my parents called from downstairs that it was time to go home, and I didnt want to... I dont remember how I came to learn the name Ninetndo and Mario, but I did and for some Christmas me and my sister wished for a NES, and guess what, we got it! it was the NES with Super Mario Bros that completely blew me away and changed my life priorities. As a kid people asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up, I said stuff like stunt man, bus driver, whatever, but when I was 7 years old I think, I remember sitting infront of the TV with SMB and suddenly realising that this was what I wanted to do, I wanted to make these games! And now some 25 years later or so that wish is finally on its way of coming true!

As good as SNES days was, as much as I loved AMIGA and PC, as much as I fell in love with Jaguar, as much as I lusted over Mega Drive, it was the NES that defined a new world for me, a vision, the images and the sounds, the style I think of whenever I hear the word videogames. My dad used to work at a electronics store back then and sometimes I would get to come with him and see all new NES games on the wall, and get to play them in a sideroom, every time you heard of someone with videogames us kids in the neighborhood would gang up and go on pilgrimage to this spoiled persons house to persuade them to let us play, well that sounds bigger then it was, but the feeling was very much so :) Without internet, without money, games were very scarce it was like finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow every time we got to hear about or even see a new game.

I dont think anyone of my friends took it even half as serious as me, I was obsessed and have always been, just less so over time for the changing of games, the magic have disapeared quite a bit, but the electronic aura and the flashing colors and synthetic sounds will always be my home, my thing, I was made for it and it was made for me, other things are cool but nothing matters in comparison to videogames still as an adult.

Its good to remember this, the feeling I want to have in my games, back then games were games and they were like nothing else, today games feel a lot more like B-movies without colors and life, were youre told what button to press to start the next FMV sequence...
every time you heard of someone with videogames us kids in the neighborhood would gang up and go on pilgrimage to this spoiled persons house to persuade them to let us play, well that sounds bigger then it was, but the feeling was very much so :) Without internet, without money, games were very scarce it was like finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow every time we got to hear about or even see a new game. This is so true. Me and friends played streetfighter 2 on the snes for hours and hours in another friends house. It was like having an arcade in your house. I was obsessed with streetfighter 2 at the time. Gaming perfection. Awesome memories.

I had the light up sword of omens too. I still have my powermaster prime figure and ive just ordered the Mp-10 masterpiece prime toy on the net. I love transformers G1
i have so many conflicting thoughts about MP-10. on one hand hey, i have my prime, and its bigger and is still really good but man, the new one looks really slick and it looks more poseable. i think my money might be better spent on rent and bills the grimlock figure or the rodimus prime figure but damn, optimus is just amazing

r_mp-10-convoy-416.jpg

I had the light up sword of omens too. I still have my powermaster prime figure and ive just ordered the Mp-10 masterpiece prime toy on the net. I love transformers G1
i have so many conflicting thoughts about MP-10. on one hand hey, i have my prime, and its bigger and is still really good but man, the new one looks really slick and it looks more poseable. i think my money might be better spent on rent and bills the grimlock figure or the rodimus prime figure but damn, optimus is just amazing

r_mp-10-convoy-416.jpg
yeah the mp -10 figure is very accurate to the cartoon prime. (My mp-10 figure is still in transit from the ebay seller i bought it from but i cant wait to get it.) i did a lot of net searching till i settled on that particular prime model. The rodimus prime figure looks awesome and so does the grimlock one. rodimus prime version 2 is the one to get as the known problems with the first rodimus figure have been fixed. Optimus prime is definately my favourite transformer though.

Last edited by a moderator:
technically my game and watch contributions were more along the lines of electronic games, no video involved at all :)

rodimus prime version 2 is the one to get as the known problems with the first rodimus figure have been fixed
that one doesnt come with the rodimus prime trailer bit though does it? like its just hotrod?
The japan takara one comes with the trailer. Its called rodimus convoy. It can also transform into a hot rod figure and a rodimus prime figure. Cool Eh.

Yay, I just found the official Shirt Tales toy patterns for sale!

Shirt_Tales_Pattern.jpg

I never had any of the toys as a kid, and I actually didn't see the show that was based on them until some years after its time, but does anyone else remember them?

Shirt_Tales.jpg

They might be a little obscure for some folks. :p

I had a lot of toys, my parents and older brother and sister were awesome and got us absolutely everything we were interested in. Some of my person favourites were my star wars and he-man collection, but also these:

5b.jpg

Bron-Robot-Galoob.jpg

Good%2BGuys.JPG

I never had the strange man-tank though

I had one of these roboforce figure too.I had that figure to the right of he man but i gave it to a charity shop recently.what toyline was it from do you remember?

Looking at the picture in the OP - I could swear I had the same figure... holes to plug in wings and stuff.. gotta see if I can dig that out somewhere.

My favourite was LEGO, too. Pneumatics enabled TECHNICS set etc.

Apart from that I loved everything remote controlled, Had a buggy and a hovercraft. That one was fast, damn!

Elenco 200 in 1 Electronic Project Lab - Amazingly they still sell this and I think I got mine in 1988 and it's exactly the same as it was back then.. Although I think this used to be sold under the Radioshack name.

EEMX907.gif

Back