Retro Computing Nostalgia Thread

Naw! It was something later on. Possibly from a Zzap64 covertape or smthg. Ha! Used to load the tape up just for iLoad ;)

Eventually used a AR4 to copy it off :D

just had a dig around ... prolly Aliens

Eek - where to begin :p

Early memories of days spent in 70s arcades watching (wanting to play but being young with no money) - Sprint, Night Driver, Circus and Gun Fight, and some strange black and white basketball game!

van burnham's Supercade covers the era beautifully.

Late 70s / early 80s consoles (UK) and handhelds:

Grandstand TV videogame

Binatone TV videogame

Bandai Missile Command

Grandstand Astro Wars

Numerous other handhelds (that I can't remember) including Galaxy Invaders and some strange submarine game! (My cousin had a MB Microvision which inspired me to greater things!)

1979 - Atari VCS 2600 - first multi-game console! Super Breakout - video pinball - combat...and other later classics (Pacman?!, Donkey Kong, Defender).

1982 - ZX81. Hacked into Flight Simulator (BASIC) to make first ever game changes!

1983 - 16K Speccy. Upgraded to 48K in Spring 1984. Awesome games (Deathchase, JetPac, Manic Miner etc..) - and first real programming.

1987 - C64 (saw Uridium, and never looked back).

1989 - Amiga 500. Great scene, demos, games - the first real community.

1991 - GameGear - 1st "next-gen" handheld

1992 - 386 PC. Early PC gaming, and tech college workhorse. SNES first gaming console - astonishing.

1993 - Amiga 1200. Too little, too late for Commodore.

1994 - Pentium 90 with all the multi-media bits (SBAWE32, 4XCD-ROM etc..) Sweet gaming machine - Doom 2, probably the best game ever made.

1995 - Sega Saturn. Satiated my arcade-loving character. (Mates bought Playstations - never did anything for me).

I've bored you all already with my gaming past.......so that's enough for now :blink:

Good lord, that Invade-a-Load video brings back some memories!

It's just reminded me that someone I knew at the time once claimed that unless you were able to beat all of the invaders, the game wouldn't be able to finish loading. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I remember one of, if not the first game I ever played was on my older brother's Commodore Vic 20. It was a space invaders clone that came on a cartridge that slotted into the back of the machine. It might have been called firebird but I can't remember. It was better than space invaders because some of the enemies would dive down at you from the sides and shoot laser beams PEW PEW PEW!

We also used my brothers Spectrum 48k, which I still think is one of the greatest looking bits of tech ever.

ZXSpectrum48k.jpg

We used that until my twin lifted it up and bit into the corner during a particularly intense game of something (I can't remember the name of it, but I think you were a rabbit that had to collect carrots by pulling them down from the surface). Then we had a 128, which lived until our first tape deck died, and then I dismantled our second one to see how it worked, then hid it when I realised that I couldn't put it back together. Then we got a 128 +2, which had a dreadful lightgun but an awesome tapedeck. I still have that at my parents somewhere.

Around that time my elder brother bought an Amiga, and I remember coming home from school to be greeted with karate kid 3, Defender of the Crown, and Uninvited. I was blown away, I think the only peace my brother got was when he turned it off (in those days it was set up in the living room, and put away when you turned it off). The Amiga stayed set up in our room until I was about 17.

When I was about 14 I overheard a friend talking to another kid about sonic the hedgehog on the "mastersystem" I literally had no idea what either of these things were, I just heard that it was the greatest game ever and the kid wouldn't let me go to his house to see it. I consulted another friend who told me that there was such a thing as a "megadrive" which was better, and that's what I should get. I plagued my mum until christmas day to get me one, and she did bless her!

Not long later I was introduced to the SNES by an older kid that had an imported version of Super Mario, I decided I wanted one but I wasn't desperate. We eventually got a snes when a friend sold his to us for £70, and cemented super mario and super mario kart into my fondest memories forever.

Back