What was your favourite Childhood toy?

He-Man on Tiger and Mumm-Ra!!!

smeraldo-cc_heman01.jpg
MummRaMuttLoose1a.jpg
yeah i had this he man figure too but i had the orange hawk instead of battlecat.

The original Game Boy would probably stand as a symbol of my childhood. It was practically a part of me...

In regards to actual toys... My mother was very anti violence, so I never had any Heman or G I Joe type toys (i don't even know how to spell them).

... Instead of those, I got My Little Pony and Care Bears. Yes, my mother also put me in tights and sent me to learn Ballet. Thanks Mom.... You did a great job bringing me up... These drastic social issues I have have nothing to do with you, srsly!

Anyway, on that note of cruel and unusual abuse of innocent children...

I went to a Summer Camp in America once, while my mother was studying to become a teacher. I took my favorite Baby Moondancer My Little Pony with me one day....

Then, it went missing! I searched everywhere... Only to find this little girl was playing with it. I told the adult/teacher in charge of us that the girl had stolen it from me.

I was then punished for telling lies, and that little b***h got away with stealing my Baby Moondancer! I swear, to this day I hope a real pony kicks her in the face! And that bloody teacher too. The injustice of it!

That toy probably wouldn't stand out as much if it weren't for that incident. I'm still angry about it...

The original Game Boy would probably stand as a symbol of my childhood. It was practically a part of me...

In regards to actual toys... My mother was very anti violence, so I never had any Heman or G I Joe type toys (i don't even know how to spell them).

... Instead of those, I got My Little Pony and Care Bears. Yes, my mother also put me in tights and sent me to learn Ballet. Thanks Mom.... You did a great job bringing me up... These drastic social issues I have have nothing to do with you, srsly!

Anyway, on that note of cruel and unusual abuse of innocent children...

I went to a Summer Camp in America once, while my mother was studying to become a teacher. I took my favorite Baby Moondancer My Little Pony with me one day....

Then, it went missing! I searched everywhere... Only to find this little girl was playing with it. I told the adult/teacher in charge of us that the girl had stolen it from me.

I was then punished for telling lies, and that little b***h got away with stealing my Baby Moondancer! I swear, to this day I hope a real pony kicks her in the face! And that bloody teacher too. The injustice of it!

That toy probably wouldn't stand out as much if it weren't for that incident. I'm still angry about it...

So... you were a boy, I assume? If so, that's one weird mom... not the MLP and Care Bears part, but the ballet part...

Last edited by a moderator:
@FaeMinx - But the Care Bears were awesome. :D I loved them, too. (Actually got my hands on an official sewing pattern from their first run recently!)

@FaeMinx - But the Care Bears were awesome. :D I loved them, too. (Actually got my hands on an official sewing pattern from their first run recently!)
yes, but you didnt get teased or beaten up over it because of one simple reason

and as far as FaeMinx, dont blame her for your social issues, thank her for your amazing artistic ability...im sure this could be considered a "different side of the same coin" type of thing

^ Maybe so, but all the boys I knew back then had Care Bears, too.

If I had to single something out (I was a teen by the time computing came along, so the ZX81 or Speccy don't count) that makes by brain pop & fizz with nostalgia when I encounter it, it would have to be 70s era Matchbox cars. Every newsagent used to have a Matchbox cars stand, they used to give out free annual catalogues, and the bright, often metallic colours stay with you forever. If I see a particularly lustrous metallic green, amber or purple paint job on a passing vehicle I still automatically think "Matchbox!" The boxes were really distinctive too, grown men wept when they switched to blister packs.

I had quite a few of the ones on this page:

http://www.home.railscene.com/garyscars/mb/1972/index.htm

Oh god the joy to be experienced by going from the Speccie to the Amiga .. what a wonderful time that was.

@onpon4: Yes, I *was* a boy... but I have no idea what I am now... Hardly Human to say the least.

I don't know what she was thinking regarding the Ballet... it sucked. It was STUPID!!! ... my only consolation was that my best friend of the time also had to do it. lol

I don't think a single lesson went by that the instructor didn't hit us with a fly swatter. *grin* :)

And to be clear I absolutely LOATH Ballet. My mother (bless her) bought me a ticket to Swan Lake a few months ago without asking me. I was upset of course... but I became so disgusted watching that nonsense that I walked out half way. ... I decided then to steer clear from anyone who enjoys Ballet because you seriously have to be touched in the head in the most disturbing way to appreciate it.

@Prometheus: I agree. the Care Bears were / are awesome! ... as are MLP, Strawberry Shortcake, and Rainbow Brite!!!!!! :D ... I also remember Popples, but they didn't feature as prominently.

I have since re-aquired a Baby Moondancer MLP... but it sits locked away in storage, along with Share Bear.

@DaMummy: I suppose.. i can't blame it all on my mother... But you are right about all the other kids giving me a hard time. One of these days I'll explain just how socialy disfunctional I am.

And you are right, I wouldn't give up my artistic ability in order to think and function like a normal person.

He-Man on Tiger

Tiger aka Cringer/Battle Cat!

I had those figures and also Skeletor with Panthor.

The He-Man line was great and I was devastated when my Mum gave them away. I also had loads of those Thundercats figures and also one of those light up Sword of Omens. I might even still have that somewhere...

My favourite toy was probably:

PowermasterOptimusPrime_toy.jpg

Powermaster Optimus Prime

and my favourite toy now is...

Masterpiece_Convoy_15__1234615038.jpg

my Masterpiece Convoy, with die-cast parts and long smokestacks, ordered from Japan since the US version was an abomination with "battle damage", neutered smokestacks and more plasticy parts. Definitely the most expensive toy I've bought!

I was also very into M.A.S.K. toys, lego, duplo, meccano and other constructiony things.

I also remember Popples, but they didn't feature as prominently.
Yay! Someone else who remembers the Popples!
grin.gif
They weren't as prominent for me, either, but I really did like them a lot - but then, nobody got close to Teddy Ruxpin, for me. :lol:

There's been a trend in geeky sewing circles in recent years for making custom-designed Popples based around the official sewing patterns, too.

There's something that they don't do anymore, by the by - back then, they issued official sewing patterns for making all sorts of popular plush lines at home (the ones I know of include the Care Bears, Disney's Gummi Bears, The Wuzzles, the Cabbage Patch Kids, and, of course, the Popples - I have some patterns from some of these lines, and there are no doubt more that I haven't found yet). It just doesn't happen, nowadays.

Actually, speaking of The Wuzzles, does anyone else remember those? :D

If I had to single something out (I was a teen by the time computing came along, so the ZX81 or Speccy don't count) that makes by brain pop & fizz with nostalgia when I encounter it, it would have to be 70s era Matchbox cars. Every newsagent used to have a Matchbox cars stand, they used to give out free annual catalogues, and the bright, often metallic colours stay with you forever. If I see a particularly lustrous metallic green, amber or purple paint job on a passing vehicle I still automatically think "Matchbox!" The boxes were really distinctive too, grown men wept when they switched to blister packs.

I had quite a few of the ones on this page:

http://www.home.rail.../1972/index.htm
Yup i had tons of matchbox dinkys too.But my little brother used to destroy them all with a butter knife while i was at school.

Man i love amigas.

He-Man on Tiger

Tiger aka Cringer/Battle Cat!

I had those figures and also Skeletor with Panthor.

The He-Man line was great and I was devastated when my Mum gave them away. I also had loads of those Thundercats figures and also one of those light up Sword of Omens. I might even still have that somewhere...

My favourite toy was probably:

PowermasterOptimusPrime_toy.jpg

Powermaster Optimus Prime

and my favourite toy now is...

Masterpiece_Convoy_15__1234615038.jpg

my Masterpiece Convoy, with die-cast parts and long smokestacks, ordered from Japan since the US version was an abomination with "battle damage", neutered smokestacks and more plasticy parts. Definitely the most expensive toy I've bought!

I was also very into M.A.S.K. toys, lego, duplo, meccano and other constructiony things.
I had the light up sword of omens too. I still have my powermaster prime figure and ive just ordered the Mp-10 masterpiece prime toy on the net. I love transformers G1

Wow, I wasnt the only boy in the world to love Rainbow Brite? I have it on DVD now, both TV series and the film, I have actually not gotten around to watch through the TV serie yet only first 2 episodes, what a great show, and the movie is the single most amazing experience as a kid seeing cartoons, I remember my parents took me along as they were gonna play cards with friends, it was usually me and my sister and their kids hanging out then, but my sister wasnt with us that time for some reason and their kids were away also for some other reasons, so they put on a VHS with recorded cartoon shows, it was Danger Mouse at first wich I loved, then all of a sudden no more Danger Mouse episodes, instead this new stuff came on that I had never seen or heard of, the intro wasnt there so I never knew what it was, but it wasnt like anything else, this wasnt 10min episode, it just went on and on and on, a spectacular adventure unlike anything I had ever seen before, what an amazing film really!

My favorite toy overall was G.I.Joe I guess, great stuff. Something I did like more though but was very rare was ROBOTECH! My cousin introduced me to this spectacular TVserie (Macross Saga) that you could rent back then, later my parents would buy me the first 7 tapes wich was probably ep 1-14 or so, I have watched those about a bazillion dillion times and still love it as much as ever. The toys were exactly like G.I.Joe, in size and design, but were caracters and machines from the TVseries and endlessly much cooler for that, I only ever got a single caracter though, Lisa Heiz I believe she was called here, the other few they had to select didnt have a helmet and that helmet was to cool to give up so there. I also had Roy Fokkers transformable jet, not the big one that could house one of those caracters, a smaller design but still so cool!

And now I just have to talk about videogames! I think my first experience was Commodore 64, I didnt really know what it was or how it function, I remember being at my cousins place and playing it with my sister and cousin 3 player Karate, on a monitor. Im actually not sure about the title of the game, it might have been Karate? Anyway, we thaught it was great fun.

Then some time after, I just remember a flash of seeing my cousin play Super Mario Bros on their TV as my parents called from downstairs that it was time to go home, and I didnt want to... I dont remember how I came to learn the name Ninetndo and Mario, but I did and for some Christmas me and my sister wished for a NES, and guess what, we got it! it was the NES with Super Mario Bros that completely blew me away and changed my life priorities. As a kid people asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up, I said stuff like stunt man, bus driver, whatever, but when I was 7 years old I think, I remember sitting infront of the TV with SMB and suddenly realising that this was what I wanted to do, I wanted to make these games! And now some 25 years later or so that wish is finally on its way of coming true!

As good as SNES days was, as much as I loved AMIGA and PC, as much as I fell in love with Jaguar, as much as I lusted over Mega Drive, it was the NES that defined a new world for me, a vision, the images and the sounds, the style I think of whenever I hear the word videogames. My dad used to work at a electronics store back then and sometimes I would get to come with him and see all new NES games on the wall, and get to play them in a sideroom, every time you heard of someone with videogames us kids in the neighborhood would gang up and go on pilgrimage to this spoiled persons house to persuade them to let us play, well that sounds bigger then it was, but the feeling was very much so :) Without internet, without money, games were very scarce it was like finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow every time we got to hear about or even see a new game.

I dont think anyone of my friends took it even half as serious as me, I was obsessed and have always been, just less so over time for the changing of games, the magic have disapeared quite a bit, but the electronic aura and the flashing colors and synthetic sounds will always be my home, my thing, I was made for it and it was made for me, other things are cool but nothing matters in comparison to videogames still as an adult.

Its good to remember this, the feeling I want to have in my games, back then games were games and they were like nothing else, today games feel a lot more like B-movies without colors and life, were youre told what button to press to start the next FMV sequence...

Back