We've started to order things!

3D is working as on the Pandora (fullscreen apps), no worries here.
We're currently heavily working on the charger/battery/palmas/omap5 setup, as that's pretty complex and we need to be sure it works reliable under different conditions.

zmatt is awesome identifying various issues including fixes (software and hardware).
So far, the only hardware fixes needed are to NOT populate some parts, so nothing that delays anything.

It's hard doing a news post about that, as the whole thing is pretty complex and I'm not sure I'm even understanding everything correctly.

@EvilDragon glad to hear you're doing your thing. Big news posts are great but just getting tiny updates like that are great too. Doesn't have to be a big announcement, I just like hearing the progress.

Enh, but that probably wastes your time which could be spent on the pyra. Whatever man. You do you. We're just excited and love all the news, any news.

I agree with directive0, even just a daily one sentence status update, like Trump does on twitter, to keep the herd in the loop about what is or isn't working would make me a happy camper :)

@EvilDragon Ah so you guys decided to leave the charging chip off and let the Palmas handle charging?
The Palmas isn't a charging chip and can't handle charging on its own. It always needs a separate chip...
Anyways, charging is working fine for the two boards I have in operation. It is only some more exotic situations around power-on and cold/warm reset that zmatt is testing in more details than I ever did. It turned out that there are subtle differences between the EVM and our board, because the EVM has no charging circuits at all...
The parts in discussion for removal are a reset controller and a voltage divider (which can be replaced by a 1:1 division). And hardware control of the µSD/eMMC switch.
Some of the effects can be compensated by software fixes. In total it is no road block and I could live with what I have on my desk, but I am not the quality manager and have a different level of what I see as being good enough :)
So it is just the final 0.5% of polishing for perfection and avoiding some potential trouble while waiting for components to arrive.

I remember from Pandora, that the Power Management wasn't that perfect at the beginning, there wasn't even a proper Low Power Mode,
Unlike Craigix Marketing Speech of "100 Hours Musik Playback"
I thing everyone knows what I mean..
now whe have a usefull Powermanagement on Pandora,
It's charge, it's ditnt need much power in iddle Mode, and it can last very long sitting closed in its low power mode..

So dos the Pyra have a Standbye Mode yet??
And dos it charge whitout booting up the whole OS??

@EvilDragon So, you just answer questions you like?

Nope, I just didn't have much time to read the thread that I probably missed the post :)

- You mentioned that you "should receive more cases soon" on Jan 30, 2017. When did they arrive? They did, right?

See my update in this thread regarding the cases:
"Still waiting for the next versions, sadly."

There were some more tweaks I didn't know before (we had to remove some pegs in the front lid as the touchscreen got a tiny little bit bigger than before and during assembly of some prototypes, I realized that the additional pressure easily can crack a screen during assembly).
I didn't have time to make a newspost since then, so that was not yet posted.
All changes have already been applied to the molds (they finished them two days ago), and it didn't make sense making more cases before all molds have been finished.

This is mostly my fault - I didn't find the time to extensively assemble and test the prototypes until 1,5 weeks ago, which lead to those last-minute changes (and the work on the LCD Cable as well).

I'll try posting a more extensive update tonight.

- When did you make the Order for the CPU boards? They should take 6 weeks. But to know when they will arrive we need to know when you ordered them.

Middle of February, so they should be ready end of March / early April.

- In maximum two weeks, the CPU boards should arrive. Is everything else scheduled to be available and ready to be assembled than?

No, and that never was the plan. We are ordering parts when they are confirmed to be finished.
So until I approved the cases and keymats, they will be ordered.

But it's good we have the CPU Boards already ready, as they take longer than anything else.
[doublepost=1489944578,1489944467][/doublepost]
So dos the Pyra have a Standbye Mode yet??

All drivers need to be checked to make sure they will support standby, which has not happened yet (we're still doing lower-level things).
But in general, a Standby mode will exist, that's just a software thing.

And dos it charge whitout booting up the whole OS??

Yes, it charges even without the CPU board ;)
There's not need to power it on to charge the battery.

This sounds pretty pretty good , charging whitout CPU Board ...
Not that I will use this feature..
Dos the Pyra boot up when you put the Batterie in like the Pandora??

Sorry when I compare everything whit the Pandora, but the Pandora was my first Poket Linux PC so it's the device I know..

Looking forward for my Pyra ..

Yes, it charges even without the CPU board ;)
There's not need to power it on to charge the battery.
Interesting, a Pyra-fact that I didn't even knew. I've (almost) got used to it because of the Pandora charging behaviour, that an device always powerup when plug into the mains to charge the Battery. ;)

You can't make schematics from scratch and do the mass production right after that, it's a trial, test, errors, fixes, trial again etc. process.
ED is a careful guy, and he has all the Pandora maker experience, so I'm certain he does this pre-production cycle carefully.

@EvilDragon
You were waiting on Jan 30, 2017 and one week ago you discovered it needs more changes? Sorry, but doesn't make sense.

Did you even read my answer?
I posted this news post on February 16th and stated that I did sadly not receive the cases yet and didn't have more information at that time.
Yes, I wasn't happy about that, but as I didn't have more infos yet, I couldn't post them to you.

Now I know that they had been working on the speaker sealing (which wasn't finished back) and wanted to send out everything together.
Also, as one mold was already hardened (I didn't know that myself), it had to be transported to Athens and back to be changed.

Then approx. 1,5 weeks ago (early March) I found out during assembly of the prototypes that some more changes are needed, as mentioned above, so the production has been delayed again.

The case is one of the top priorities for me right now, so I'm in contact (phone call) every few days to make sure it's being worked on and I'll get them asap.

So what do you want to hear?
I can't tell you more when I don't have more information yet, it's as simple as said.
I'm not happy it takes so long but I can't do more than I already do.

Rather want me to tell some positive half-lies (as Craig liked to do with Pandora posts)?

Are you kidding? You talked about that often!

Are you sure you're reading and interpreting my posts properly, without any misunderstandings?
Could you let me know where I explicitedly said that everything will be ready when the CPU boards are ready?

I know I said it MIGHT be possible, if cases, keymats, etc. are quickly done, and that the bare CPU boards have the longest leadtime so it's important to start that production first, but I don't think I ever said that everything will be finished one the CPU boards arrive (that also wouldn't make any sense, as it would simply need that we postpone the CPU board production until everything else is ready :))

I'm trying to get everything done as fast as possible, but it also needs to be good, reliable and properly working.
I will NOT rush out, unless all of the preorderers agree they're fine receiving a barely working product.

Did you even read my answer?
I posted this news post on February 16th and stated that I did sadly not receive the cases yet and didn't have more information at that time.
Yes, I wasn't happy about that, but as I didn't have more infos yet, I couldn't post them to you.

Now I know that they had been working on the speaker sealing (which wasn't finished back) and wanted to send out everything together.
Also, as one mold was already hardened (I didn't know that myself), it had to be transported to Athens and back to be changed.

-----
ED I just want to straight up say I seriously appreciate effort and all the work you've put into this baby! Like seriously I don't know how you can even fit this in your schedule.
Also the attention to detail and how honest you are with absolutely everything keeps me and the other forum members convinced that this will an awesome product. ;)
Sure there will be delays but as you mentioned, it needs to be "reliable and properly working." :happy: Cheers mate!

Hey ED. First time poster long time fan. I'm seventeen now, but when I was younger I wanted a pandora, but never ended up getting one. I just wanted to say that I appreciate all the hard work that you do, and I am cognizant to the fact that the time spent on this product is a reflection of meticulous attention to detail. In short I love the pyra, and the longer I have to wait the better I know it will be. Keep up the good work! I'm rooting for you.

-Z

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hi ED,
I just want to join @Kippykip, @zacharycramer00 and all the other constructive community members in expressing my confidence in you and your team.
I am only a little worried, you are distracted from your important work by mad questions. Please do yourself a favor and don't waste your time with answering the same mad questions over and over again. Especially when they are ask in such an unfriendly manner.
I am constantly waiting for news like a zombie, too. But I know how hard the last part of a development project is. Please don't waste your time (and our waiting time) with answering nonsense, better invest it in the project or your regeneration.

The reality is ED has accepted money. That doesn't mean people are entitled to be belligerent and berate him with questions, but I would hope at the very least that means that ED has prepared and braced himself for that happening because sadly it is inevitable.

This is the internet, patience and civility are in short supply 'round these parts.

Back