Welcome new and old members!

Hooray for you guys!  This is a fantastic thing - you're definitely making a lot of fans in our house!  Go get 'em gang!

Already impressive what's possible with the new SoC, even in Software mode. Seems the SoC has some nice features, what is known about "Vivante GC320 2D Accelerator" for example? Some GPU accelerator for 2D stuff or just marketing speach without practical (and accessible) usage?

2D Accelerator is well, a 2D accelerator. Scaling, rotation, blending, color space conversion and such. Has a MMU and can work with Linux memory, and fully open source driver exists, so we should be able to use it for something.

http://www.vivantecorp.com/en/technology/composition.html
Sounds like that, yes. I can imagine alot of useful tasks for this corner of the SoC. :) I guess this kind of Accelerator is used for all the fancy and especialy fast scaling/zooming/rotating touchscreen effects on todays modern smartphones that all looks so smooth and shiny. ^^

That multi-tasking video of the 2 PSX emus et al running simultaneously was pretty darn amazing!

I've not been this excited for a new device since the Pandora! It's pretty much a guaranteed sale for me, at this point. I'd have preferred 4G/LTE instead of 3G/UMTS, but any on-the-go connectivity is better than none at all.

UMTS/3G will be optional.

But you can imagine do lot of things with this option. 

be at FOSDEM on the booth and for other talks.

ED do a very impressive one.

Although I'd have preferred 4G, I'd still be very happy having 3G! So if it's optional, I'll most certainly be opting in. That 3G kill-switch, I've seen mentioned a few times around these boards, also sounds like a good idea.

As well as FOSDEM, isn't there also another show that ED usually goes to, to show off the Pandora? I recall there being some kind of expo or convention in Germany, unless I'm mistaken.

Anyway, I just got done watching Linux-SWAT's .webm file, and I can't wait for this device! So I'm gonna do what I did before with the Pandora - tell everyone I know about it. :D I'm currently on a Computing and Systems Development course so my classmates and teachers, who are into the Raspberry Pi and tech innovations in general, should also be interested in something like this.

Downloading the video now! Super excited for all this, it feels like the summer of 08 again. Good luck with everything ED and the rest of the Pyra team, I'll be behind you every step of the way! :)

edit: my avatar is more relevant thanks to the 3G :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love for this device to replace my phone as well as my nvidia shield. Playing games + mobile internet as well as sms! That would be a godsend.

Back