We need more drama. So here's another video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better still would be to have the default be a simple shut down and have some developer thread where people are asked for all of the different things that they want the lid switch menu selections to be.

Personally, I want my lid switch to be multi-selection capable.
Close lid = shutdown
Left Shoulder 1 + Close lid = standby
Left Shoulder 2 + Close lid = launch audio player, turn off screen, activate bluetooth, pair to my headphones, route audio away from internal speakers, start the music playing then pause 0.5 seconds in.

I still say that the shipping default for a simple lid closed without modifiers (changeable in a menu either at shipping or planned for 'some day when a developer gets to making the configuration application' should be a very simple and safe shutdown.

Oh - and yes, this has become a keyboard thread again...

Unexpected shutdown is not safe at all.
- Just imagine you get your Pyra, connect with your home server over wifi, and start copying data from it. While it is being copied you put your pyra in charging while closing the lid, and poof it shuts down.
- You receive a call with bluetooth/wired earphones on pyra. Natural reaction is to close the lid and keep pyra in pockets while talking. Again shutdown.
- You have some important data transfer going on, between cards/usb drive, while this happen you decide to watch some stuff that you don't want others to see. Someone appears over your shoulder and you close the lid in quick reaction. Shutdown.

There is power button on Pyra for shutdown, I will prefer to use that for shutdown. Many of us I believe wants to use pyra like a phone, which will stay on 24x7, so sudden shutdowns are not expected or needed.

i completely disagree with defaulting to shutdown on lid close. no laptop does that and people will think something is broken.

Every HP MTC I've seen does...
(mobile thin client)

I did not expect the Spanish Inquisition...

Last I knew, a true suspend or standby wasn't ready yet - that may have changed.

If that is still true - then there are really three options for the lid switch. Shutdown, stay on with screen off, do nothing.

Eventually there will probably be all sorts of suspend/standby/reduced consumption modes once more devs work on more software.

I still want the advanced functionality with it tied to the shoulder buttons.

Nobody is saying that a 'shipping default' is the 'forever so it must be' setting. Right now, though, I see it as the 'safest' behavior. At least until the software can catch up.

I too would prefer if my unit didn't shutdown on lid close. I forget what the Pandora did by default, although I know I changed mine to only blank the screen when the lid was closed. My laptop seems to suspend to ram when the lid goes down, but as people have pointed out the Pyra has more uses than that, so even that might be suboptimal for some users.

Wow, didn't expect a "simple" question about a lid sensor to explode :)

My 2 cents

Id suspend doesn't work, then default should be blank the screen, not shut off. However, I have always gone in and disabled the lid on all my laptops (as suspend never worked for me anyways), so eh. Its linux I can set it up easy enough.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Last I knew, a true suspend or standby wasn't ready yet - that may have changed.

If that is still true - then there are really three options for the lid switch. Shutdown, stay on with screen off, do nothing.

Eventually there will probably be all sorts of suspend/standby/reduced consumption modes once more devs work on more software.

I still want the advanced functionality with it tied to the shoulder buttons.

Nobody is saying that a 'shipping default' is the 'forever so it must be' setting. Right now, though, I see it as the 'safest' behavior. At least until the software can catch up.
Just because you want something doesn't mean it should be default...

i completely disagree with defaulting to shutdown on lid close. no laptop does that and people will think something is broken.

Most of the laptop I have seen defaults to hibernate on lid close, but I'm not sure if something similar exists on linux.

EDIT: Seems like it exists even on Debian, but must be activated by hand.

I'm waiting for the pinephone. Which will probably be out before the pyra.

But it's a cheap <$150 linux phone with hardware cutoff switches. It also has features most new phones don't include (although my lg v20 still has all these and more), removable battery, video out, sd card (bootable)

I'm eager to mess with it!
I love my V20 :)

Most of the laptop I have seen defaults to hibernate on lid close, but I'm not sure if something similar exists on linux.

EDIT: Seems like it exists even on Debian, but must be activated by hand.

Linux has so many flavors with different defaults. In archlinux default installation, systemd is configured to suspend on lid close (unless I have forgotten this). However this changes with installation of DE, as major DEs like xfce/gnome/kde tend to override systemd default with their own power managers. However if we use linux without systemd, lid close may be totally ignored unless configured manually.

Well, my Pandora is set up to just disable the screen on lid close.
There is a switch-button at the front, which brings it into suspend.
To power off I have to use the menu.

Does the Pyra have a similar switch at the front?

what mechanism will be available to customise such events, including buttons and dpads?

the zaurus had the ability to map arbitrary shell commands to many events. I believe it was custom software, but it might have been a feature of the window manager.

what we need more than default behaviours is hookers

what mechanism will be available to customise such events, including buttons and dpads?

the zaurus had the ability to map arbitrary shell commands to many events. I believe it was custom software, but it might have been a feature of the window manager.
That will be done through window manager. XFCE4 has an application for customizing keyboard shortcuts. If you use i3/openbox/cwm, customization has to done through text config files. It is possible to edit config files with xfce4 too.
what we need more than default behaviours is hookers
hookers xD\o/.

Shutting down on close is really bad. First of all, no device I know does this. Laptops, phones, and other handhelds like the DS and 3DS never shutdown on lid close as far as I know. So it's going to be a surprise for most customers.
Second, it's going to be an unpleasant surprise, since they'll have to reboot and all their progress is lost. Maybe they just got the Amulet of Yendor. Imagine getting it and then wanting to take a break only to come back and see that your progress and score have been deleted by a stupid default of shutting down the system on lid close!
Thirdly, it's such uncommon behaviour that a lot of people will probably make the mistake of accidentally closing it again. Maybe they played a lot on their 3DS or any other handheld for a while and have gotten used to closing the lid for a break again. So they pick up their Pyra, and after many tries they finally found the Amulet of Yendor again. To celebrate they close their Pyra and eat a watermelon. Then they come back…

I think it's better to have sane defaults. Just dim the screen or go to suspend on lid close, and of course automatically start rogue on lid open—if it is not running already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back