Wait What?

Monk said:
second exodous said:
@ Monk: I was just wondering where you lived, I've never had one of my packages dropped off to one of my neighbors and I've never received one of my neighbors for them. Pretty trusting place you live in. I have had the Post Office receive FexEx packages, I think they have a policy that if they see a dog on the property they don't try to deliver to the house or something.

LOL "trusting place". Maybe I have a trustable looking face, but no - I live in London, not exactly a place you leave your doors unlocked when you go out. I get handed goods that need signing for (and I sign them) and goods that don't, but won't fit through the letterbox. I also am sometimes unavailable to accept their packages :(
My folks were loading stuff into their car, got distracted by a chatty neighbour, left.
Came home three hours later to see the front door wide open but nothing missing.
LOL! Trusty neighbourhood.

No. I'm not telling you were they live in case they do it again :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
At my old house when I was really young, we left our door open all day accidentally, we were in a really sketch neighborhood then, too. My parents came home and there was some dude with a knife in the house! :eek:
But he left apparently.

i drove out to a quiet place about 40 miles out of London the other day, and someone had left their Speciallized Mountain Bike just leaning against the Ladbrokes shop front while they were inside - i couldnt believe it - the trust of these people - crazy!

only people in Neighbours or Home & Away really leave their doors open/unlocked, im sure.

Tensuke said:
At my old house when I was really young, we left our door open all day accidentally, we were in a really sketch neighborhood then, too. My parents came home and there was some dude with a knife in the house! :eek:
But he left apparently.

Holy sh..... :eek:

Monk said:
I wonder if perhaps the delivery guy DID get a signature, from the neighboring address that he delivered to. That's how couriers tend to work around here. The "better" ones do TEND to try and deliver your goods, and if you aren't around they may try 1 or 2 neighbors.
In the case of individuals expecting to receive parcels of very high value, it would be in their best interest to contact all nearby neighbors and tell them to refuse delivery. Also, contact UPS and tell them not to accept signatures from or deliver to anyone other than the listed recipient. Neighbors are not authorized receiving agents simply by virtue of their living next door to you. Once the delivery is signed for, any insurance coverage by UPS for loss is null and void and claims due to damage will also be difficult to impossible to complete successfully. Once someone signs for it, UPS is no longer responsible.

Fzero said:
i drove out to a quiet place about 40 miles out of London the other day, and someone had left their Speciallized Mountain Bike just leaning against the Ladbrokes shop front while they were inside - i couldnt believe it - the trust of these people - crazy!

Nah, they just live in a normal area. There's fewer of them these days, unfortunately. When I was a small child back in the 1970s, the summers were very hot, so back+front doors were left open wide, even if we weren't in the house at the time. That someone would try and steal from us was unthinkable. Doors were very, very rarely locked at all, and windows were open all day and all night.

I live in an area like that - we tend to leave our back door wide open most of the day, as the breeze from the fields smells nice at this time of year.

D.

@Dunny .. I remember that, back in the days before we brought up people properly, all those terrible beatings and peer pressure and social stigma for "bad" people (we had no stronger word than that for them) made life hellish, walking around in almost total safety at any hour, leaving doors open, giving total strangers lifts, throwing parties for anyone who wanted to come and having the house intact at the end of them, people holding doors for you or stopping to help when you broke down, polite children, helpful shop assistants who knew their subject, British was best, friendly policemen all over the place, papers with news in them, sheer hell!

thanks to modern educational methods and political correctness I nowday feel a little bit safer when I get home after locking myself into my house behind two doors and three security locks and arming the alarm, driving around is worrisome though, I might break down and be killed for my wallet, or my shoes, or just being in the wrong part of town, and shopping can be stressful when you see a gang of "yoofs" loitering in the side streets or a corner, or some guy who seems to be following you through the crowd after you leave the bank or use the atm, or the shop assistants who just straight out lie to you to make a sale, so you have to research stuff online before you buy it, but at least we are doing things THE RIGHT WAY(tm), everyone free to do as they please and look out for number one with little or no fear that the police will intervene in whatever schemes they have, while all the time they are trying to rip ME off, "they" being my bank, or the electricity provider, or the council, or my isp, or the online store with the cool stuff, great times we live in , eh?.

@ Uh-Clem ..
Once someone signs for it, UPS is no longer responsible.

uh?, no?, UPS have a responsibility to deliver it to the correct location and person, I mean, if what you say is true they can just claim this signature for George Washington is perfectly legit, sorry Mr De-Beers, that Washington guy has your £50,000,000 consignment, nothing to do with us, afaik, here in the UK, a carrier has contract to deliver the item to the designated location/person or his representative, this does NOT mean you can leave two pallets of laptops with the paper guy on the street corner, failure to deliver goods to the correct place/person is a criminal offence afaik.

edit spolling mistooks

Back