Release VVVVVV for Pandora

Bug report
did it lock up the pandora completely? This could be expected as the gles driver/gpu if they fail can result in such behavior. Ive finished the game and havnt had one lock up yet (during gameplay that is). If it did lock up could be the safe file was corrupt.

If you still have the save can you put it somewhere, so either I or the original author could look at (you could just zip up the files in .vvvvvv)
I had a quick look at this last night. I still had the quicksave. The Pandora can be recovered through a hard reset, but no other method worked.

I have included a copy of my hidden folder so you can have a look at the quicksave.

Just continue from quicksave (not from the teleporter) to see the problem. The tower level appears, but the player sprite does not appear and the tower just scrolls to the top and stops there. Nothing else can be done from here.

.vvvvvv.zip

Attachments

• .vvvvvv.zip
    195.4 KB · Views: 173
Just a quick heads up that VVVVVV is currently available for £0.99 in the Steam Sale should be on offer at this price for the next 23 hours.

Well the version of vvvvvv doesn't provide the data files anyway you need the pc/Linux/mac data files for it to work, so unless there is any agreement to provide the data files already inside the pnd I would say it would be free in the repo when pickle things it's ready.

Well the version of vvvvvv doesn't provide the data files anyway you need the pc/Linux/mac data files for it to work, so unless there is any agreement to provide the data files already inside the pnd I would say it would be free in the repo when pickle things it's ready.
I would like to be able to just buy it all from the repo.

Excellent news, Notaz's SDL works with VVVVVV now, this mean fullscreen fullspeed fun at normal clocks :)

A big thanks to Notaz once again for all the cool work he does.

But to run it correctly it requires some manual modifications. There are 2 ways to handle it

1. Delete the appdata/.vvvvvv/unlock.vvv file (easy, but not recommended, as some game would be lost)

2. Edit the file changing these lines to 0 as shown <fullscreen>0</fullscreen> and <openGL>0</openGL>

(scaling should be 1, but this should already be set)

If the aspect ratio is run, or the game feels slow then the settings are not correct.

pickle.gp2x.de/vvvvvv.pnd

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pickle !

Thanks for this update :)

So we have to set "fullscreen" and "OpenGL" to 1 in unlock.vvv, right ?

Do you plan to update some of your other ports with Notaz's SDL ?

Bye, and thanks again !

Magic Sam

Hi Pickle !

Thanks for this update :)

So we have to set "fullscreen" and "OpenGL" to 1 in unlock.vvv, right ?

Do you plan to update some of your other ports with Notaz's SDL ?

Bye, and thanks again !

Magic Sam

i think only scaling should be set to 1, the rest to 0?

Bad news :(

Setting OpenGL and fullscreen to 0, and scaling to 1, makes the game terribly slow...and the mouse cursor appears in the middle of the screen...

Did I miss something ?

Bye and thanks,

Magic Sam

Yes if its slow and you see the cursor its not working right, most likely its the game is scaling up and the SDL is scaling it back down. Here is my unlock.vv for reference.

You can also try to rename/delete the file and let the file from the pnd replace it.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<Save>

<!-- Save file -->

<Data>

<currentPatch>22</currentPatch>

<unlock>1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,</unlock>

<unlocknotify>0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,</unlocknotify>

<besttimes>-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,</besttimes>

<besttrinkets>-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,</besttrinkets>

<bestlives>-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,</bestlives>

<bestrank>-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,</bestrank>

<bestgamedeaths>437</bestgamedeaths>

<stat_trinkets>17</stat_trinkets>

<fullscreen>0</fullscreen>

<noflashingmode>0</noflashingmode>

<colourblindmode>0</colourblindmode>

<setflipmode>0</setflipmode>

<invincibility>0</invincibility>

<slowdown>30</slowdown>

<swnbestrank>0</swnbestrank>

<swnrecord>0</swnrecord>

<advanced_mode>0</advanced_mode>

<advanced_smoothing>0</advanced_smoothing>

<advanced_scaling>1</advanced_scaling>

<openGL>0</openGL>

</Data>

</Save>

Another possible option, i found that the window option for scaling can be cycled within the game. So it may be possible to cycle it until its set to 1.

Update I also just updated the archive with another update to the SDL lib, Notaz added some neon blit code which makes it even run faster (less cpu)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah I noticed the last update seems fast and correct aspect ratio (apart from screens which include a telporter)

Very nice to see the progress. :) What some little SDL tewaks can do, impressive.

Does it also mean, the ingame Screen Options now work without hanging up the Pandora?

Very nice to see the progress. :) What some little SDL tewaks can do, impressive.

Does it also mean, the ingame Screen Options now work without hanging up the Pandora?

Well i wouldnt call them little.

So far I havnt seen any crashes from it,. but once its set correctly to window mode at 1x scaling there isnt anything else to change.

Hi,

Sorry again, but I think the latest PND file is corrupted :( It only weights ~85Kb and doesn't show up it the menus (both XFCE and Minimenu).

Bye, Magic Sam

PND is slightly bigger ~90kb but still not showing up in the menus...

I guess there is some kind of connection issue between me and gp2x.de (ping reports some packet loss).

I'll try again tomorrow morning :)

Back