Release VVVVVV for Pandora

What confused me about this app was that I created a VVVVVV folder in appdata then it vanished after the .pnd app attempted to start from menu>games. :blink:
That's standard pnd_run.sh behaviour. As it have to create that directory at PND startup, if it find it empty at the end, it will drop it... Create an empty file (or anything) in the directory to have it after the exec.

If you were going to take the time to create the appdata folder, why not put the data in there?

I am sorry if I misunderstood. Are you suggesting to create the appdata folder prior to executing the .pnd ?

ok, i think i know what happened, in the first version i had a config file copied into the appdata folder, I thought since I had the game working where all the correct options would be selected at runtime i took the config file out. So if the data isnt there then the game quits, but never wrote anything to the appdata folder.

So with the latest pnd you will have to create appdata fodler vvvvvv and copy the data folder into it, then run the pnd.

I smell the new FAT<->EXT issue we strumbled over the first time with the Firefox 8 Beta. ^^

But what about the wrong aspect ratio? Easy to spot since the screen isn't centered anymore.

Please don't try to spread any rumours, there's no new issue with the most recent hotfix.
I never spread rumours I just wanted to point on a possible place for a solution, workaround for this file behaviour. And since this "issue" was new for me I just mentioned it as new since it never happend before Hotfix 6 in my case. No clue what makes you nervous there.

Ive been using fat32 on my sd card and saves have worked fine, at least with the teleporters. I set up the home folder to be PWD, so you should see a .vvvvvv folder in the appdata folder.

Ive also seen the aspect ratio issue, im not exactly sure what causes it. One idea ive had is that the screen resolution is changing to 800x480 rather than being at 640x480. One thing i need to investigate, I tested the game without the .vvvvvv folder and the aspect was bad. I then restored the previous .vvvvvv contents i had saved and it corrected itself. Maybe theres something different.
OK, these were my steps: before I even started VVVVVV I created a vvvvvv folder by hand in the appdata dir and included the data files from the PC Version. And VVVVVV accepted this folder because it just started the game normaly, which only works with an existing data Folder I guess. ^^ So it knows already the correct appdata folder but can't write in it it seems.

So with the latest pnd you will have to create appdata fodler vvvvvv and copy the data folder into it, then run the pnd.
Exactly what I did. I only used your 2. pnd by the way, maybe this was the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just copied the folder named "data" from my vvvvvv game folder in steam -> appdata/vvvvvv/ directory.

so I copied the data folder not just the contents of that folder, and not any contents in the data folders parent directory, and so far mine seems to work ok, though I havent tried to resume my game yet.

I just copied the folder named "data" from my vvvvvv game folder in steam -> appdata/vvvvvv/ directory.

so I copied the data folder not just the contents of that folder, and not any contents in the data folders parent directory, and so far mine seems to work ok, though I havent tried to resume my game yet.
me too. in my vvvvvv folder is the entire data folder present as subfolder, I did not put the data folder content directly into the vvvvvv folder but it just dioesn't save anything. I also copied my pc save folder in the vvvvvv appdata folder but vvvvvv doesn't even see these saves. So there must be something wrong.

I smell the new FAT<->EXT issue we strumbled over the first time with the Firefox 8 Beta. ^^

But what about the wrong aspect ratio? Easy to spot since the screen isn't centered anymore.
Please don't try to spread any rumours, there's no new issue with the most recent hotfix.
I never spread rumours I just wanted to point on a possible place for a solution, workaround for this file behaviour. And since this "issue" was new for me I just mentioned it as new since it never happend before Hotfix 6 in my case. No clue what makes you nervous there.

Well, the way you post such things sounds like "the latest Hotfix has issues there, that's why some stuff like XXX doesn't work anymore" which makes the hotfix look bad.

It's the way how you report it, maybe your wording, that has been pointed out by a few users already.

It makes it sound like the user should not update to the latest stable firmware version because it has issues, when in reality it's the app that has the issue.

me too. in my vvvvvv folder is the entire data folder present as subfolder, I did not put the data folder content directly into the vvvvvv folder but it just dioesn't save anything. I also copied my pc save folder in the vvvvvv appdata folder but vvvvvv doesn't even see these saves. So there must be something wrong.

Be aware that the directory where the settings are in is not vvvvvv but vvvvvv/.vvvvvv

.-directories are hidden directories in Linux, so unless you haven't set it to show hidden directories, you won't see them in a Linux file manager.

You would see that directory using Windows though.

Well, the way you post such things sounds like "the latest Hotfix has issues there, that's why some stuff like XXX doesn't work anymore" which makes the hotfix look bad.

It's the way how you report it, maybe your wording, that has been pointed out by a few users already.

It makes it sound like the user should not update to the latest stable firmware version because it has issues, when in reality it's the app that has the issue.
But that's completely wrong, I never would say such things. I just want to tell coders that maybe not know the new behaviour of these things to take care of, I don't see this as an issue because there already IS a fix for it. And I don't have problems with Hotfix6 unlike other people.

Why should I not recommend the hotfix? I never write "in between the lines" you can be sure. ;)

Be aware that the directory where the settings are in is not vvvvvv but vvvvvv/.vvvvvv

.-directories are hidden directories in Linux, so unless you haven't set it to show hidden directories, you won't see them in a Linux file manager.

You would see that directory using Windows though.
OK, that's news for me. I enabled hidden folders but of course I didn't create any hidden .vvvvvv folder within the vvvvvv appdata folder. I just packed the data folder straight in the vvvvvv folder, there is no hidden folder, I'm sure. So I have to make a hiden folder per hand?

OK, that's news for me. I enabled hidden folders but of course I didn't create any hidden .vvvvvv folder within the vvvvvv appdata folder. I just packed the data folder straight in the vvvvvv folder, there is no hidden folder, I'm sure. So I have to make a hiden folder per hand?

If its not there then you can try, the app itself should have created it if it didnt exist...

THIS WAS IT! :D

The game just din't creat an hidden .vvvvvv folder within the vvvvvv appdata folder, I had to create it manualy to make saves work. Now it works like it should. Quicksaves, Autosaves, everything. Only the slightly wrong aspect ratio remains but besides that, everything works fine. :)

Additional info: The pnd_out file tells, that the game already points to an hidden folder "Levels will be saved to: /mnt/utmp/vvvvvv/.vvvvvv/" but it seems that it can't create it at the correct place on the SD card. I had the same issue today with "PokerTH" and it's game log file. only after I manualy changed the path from this utmp thingy to the correct folder in the Appdata directory, it wrotes the logfiles in like it should. Could there be an relationship between these things?

Last edited by a moderator:

The game just din't creat an hidden .vvvvvv folder within the vvvvvv appdata folder, I had to create it manualy to make saves work. Now it works like it should. Quicksaves, Autosaves, everything. Only the slightly wrong aspect ratio remains but besides that, everything works fine. :)

good to know, but bizarre. I will double check the source for a fix. As a last resort I will put a .vvvvvv back in the pnd to be copied over.

I purchased this yesterday to enjoy on my Pandora thanks to Pickle's port, what a fantastic original game!

good to know, but bizarre. I will double check the source for a fix. As a last resort I will put a .vvvvvv back in the pnd to be copied over.
You seem to have .vvvvvv in the root of pnd, maybe it's supposed to be in default/ ?

I think it's the old aufs problem where you can't create a file if one with the same name exists in .pnd already (while it's mounted).

I already own VVVVVV on PC and really look forward to playing it on Pandora, many thanks for the port Pickle. Was just thinking that if anyone has enjoyed playing this on Pandora it would be nice gesture to send a quick email to the developer thanking him for his permission for a Pandora port. My guess is that most devs would simply have ignored a request to release source code for a game to be ported to such a niche platform as the Pandora.

You can find his email address on his website

You seem to have .vvvvvv in the root of pnd, maybe it's supposed to be in default/ ?

I think it's the old aufs problem where you can't create a file if one with the same name exists in .pnd already (while it's mounted).
I have a work-around for that if you need. PM/mail to get it ;) (It's in audacious PND)

.vvvvvv should not be in the root of the pnd, I will double check my pnd setup. It was in default, but since the binary should be able to create the files with all the needed settings. Thanks for the pointer.

I already own VVVVVV on PC and really look forward to playing it on Pandora, many thanks for the port Pickle. Was just thinking that if anyone has enjoyed playing this on Pandora it would be nice gesture to send a quick email to the developer thanking him for his permission for a Pandora port. My guess is that most devs would simply have ignored a request to release source code for a game to be ported to such a niche platform as the Pandora.

Done and done :)

Good call! I've sent one, as without this port, I probably wouldn't have bought the game at all. :)

Fusion_Power did that also make the aspect ratio problem go away?
Huh? Do you mean just the creating of the hidden save folder? No, like I described, it just brings working savegames, the aspect ratio is still wrong, at least in my case. Still using the 2. vvvvvv version you offered. But I can check again with disabling the GLES stuff and try to play with ingame window/fullscreen mode and scaling options. But the last time I did this crashed the game instantly. :ph34r:

Back