Release VVVVVV for Pandora

Runs quite decent (from what I can tell of the above video, I haven't installed it yet), though it seems slower then I remember. Damn, this is so exciting :)

I actually thought it played slightly faster than I remember. I may blame my poor memory on that, though. Or my three year old netbook on which I played it.

Wow, you already reachd this area in the game on the Pandora? Or do PC savegames work somehow?

Ha, like I said, there goes my night. But in all seriousness, once you get out of the first zone, you can just wander around and find it.

I didn't try my old savegame, no clue if that works, but it'll be fun to play through anyway.

pickle.gp2x.de/vvvvvv.pnd

this version should just work once the data is copied.

fullscreen by default

home/pageup are mapped to action (space)

end/pagedown are mapped to map (enter)

Anyone know where you can download the game (with the game data) I have only found a flash version to download (which I assume is not the version I need)

Cheers

CJ

Woohooo, thanks a million Terry and Pickle, this game is just perfectly suited for the Pandora. :D

I've just tried out the Flash demo, and watched lunixbochs' video, which looks to run about the same as that. Definitely going to buy this shortly - it seems a much better option than waiting for the 3DS version (which is being handled by Nicalis, who I have little confidence in after they somewhat botched the WiiWare version of Cave Story...). :D

Thanks for the port, Pickle!

EDIT: £3.22?! Bargain!

Last edited by a moderator:
I final did some benchmarks on the opengl render and its in the mid 20's for framerate. 700 Mhz is pretty close to 30 fps, so i would recommend setting to that speed.

I plan to try the sw render with the notaz sdl when i have some time to remember how to use it and what not. If anyone really wants to try before me then set the opengl to 0 and scaling to 1.

In this case yes, opengl is only being used to take the final surface and scale and blit it to the screen, and since the hw scalar is basically free it could be faster. It doesnt help having to transfer the framebuffer each frame to the gpu. Keep in mind the opengl render is much faster than the sw render for scaling if its scaled in software.

OK. Game runs fine but I have a wrong aspect ratio, easily to spot on the transporters, insead of round they are oval. :D

I've tried to manual set again to fullscreen 640x480 but this gave a serious hang up, not even the Pandora Button worked anymore in minimenu.

Another question, where are the save games saved? THey are not in the appdata folder of the game.

EDIT: damn It doesn't save anything. :blink:

I guess it was avery bad idea to copy my PC save folder into the VVVVVV appdata folder before starting the game. ^^

EDIT2: Yupp, game doesn't save anything after quitting. Here is the png out file and yes, I'm using fat32 filesystem on th SD. I also deleted my PC savefiles and stuff but this doesn't seems to affect anything, I guess I copied it on the wrong place.

Code:
=======================================================================================

PND         	: /media/FUSI_SD/pandora/menu/vvvvvv.pnd

PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs

APPDATADIR      : /media/FUSI_SD/pandora/appdata/vvvvvv

APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>

EXENAME     	: run.sh

ARGUMENTS   	: <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/vvvvvv"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/FUSI_SD/pandora/appdata/vvvvvv=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/vvvvvv=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/vvvvvv"

[SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application (run.sh ) ----------

cp: cannot stat `default/*': No such file or directory

Levels will be saved to: /mnt/utmp/vvvvvv/.vvvvvv/

EGL Opening X11 display

EGL Getting EGL display

EGL Initializing

EGL_VENDOR: Imagination Technologies

EGL_VERSION: 1.4 build 1.4.14.2616

EGL_EXTENSIONS: EGL_KHR_image EGL_KHR_image_base EGL_KHR_gl_texture_2D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_cubemap_image EGL_KHR_gl_renderbuffer_image EGL_KHR_vg_parent_image EGL_IMG_context_priority

Current video resolution is 800x480 pixels

EGL Found 2 available configs

EGL Config 0

EGL Binding API

EGL Creating Context

EGL Creating window surface

EGL Making Current

EGL Complete

VVVVVV

888888    8888    88

888888    8888    88

888888            88

88888888        8888

8888  88888888  8888

8888  88888888  8888

8888    8888    

888888    888888  

888888    888888  

888888    888888  

the complete reloaded file size:57761373

data/music/0levelcomplete.oggunpacked

data/music/1pushingonwards.oggunpacked

data/music/2positiveforce.oggunpacked

data/music/3potentialforanything.oggunpacked

data/music/4passionforexploring.oggunpacked

data/music/5intermission.oggunpacked

data/music/6presentingvvvvvv.oggunpacked

data/music/7gamecomplete.oggunpacked

data/music/8predestinedfate.oggunpacked

data/music/9positiveforcereversed.oggunpacked

data/music/10popularpotpourri.oggunpacked

data/music/11pipedream.oggunpacked

data/music/12pressurecooker.oggunpacked

data/music/13pacedenergy.oggunpacked

data/music/14piercingthesky.oggunpacked

The save directory exists at: /mnt/utmp/vvvvvv/.vvvvvv/

Quick Save Not Found

Teleporter Save Not Found

JoyStick name: gpio-keys

No Stats found. Assuming a new playerEGL Closed

[SUCCESS]--- Starting the application (run.sh ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/vvvvvv': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[SUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 2

Hmm, I am using ext2, and the game saves just fine for me; may not be related to filesystem, but alas.

I have noticed a bit of a lag playing in flip mode, at all the scenes. Even after restarting the game, flip mode was still sluggish all around. Normal settings, 600MHz.

I've also noticed flip mode seems to make me feel sick. Perhaps completely unrelated.

I just tried this out. Nice game (never played it before), and thanks for the ability to play it on the Pandora too. I could see this eating up a lot of my free time....

But I can't save the game either. I made a point of saving it at one of the terminals, so I know I saved, but when I ran the game a second time it started from the beginning again.

Nothing in the app folder that looked like a save file.

My SD card is fat32 also.

I smell the new FAT<->EXT issue we strumbled over the first time with the Firefox 8 Beta. ^^

But what about the wrong aspect ratio? Easy to spot since the screen isn't centered anymore.

I smell the new FAT<->EXT issue we strumbled over the first time with the Firefox 8 Beta. ^^

But what about the wrong aspect ratio? Easy to spot since the screen isn't centered anymore.

Please don't try to spread any rumours, there's no new issue with the most recent hotfix.

The issue (which isn't really an issue) exists since the Pandora exists.

It affects all applications that expect an EXT filesystem for permissions.

If those apps worked before, they were writing these settings on the NAND, as this was the only reason the permissions would work.

The proper way is to remove these permissions in the app.

Calling this an issue would be saying "Caanoo apps don't work with the Pandora, that's an issue".

A properly ported port works on any Pandora, only ports that didn't follow the standards (i.e. in this case: Don't write to the NAND) stopped working with HF6.

only ports that didn't follow the standards (i.e. in this case: Don't write to the NAND) stopped working with HF6.
And I can document a work around that any users could make work (drop a file somewhere) for that. I just haven't seen a request for that ;)

EDIT: Sorry pickle for the thread-jack

Ive been using fat32 on my sd card and saves have worked fine, at least with the teleporters. I set up the home folder to be PWD, so you should see a .vvvvvv folder in the appdata folder.

Ive also seen the aspect ratio issue, im not exactly sure what causes it. One idea ive had is that the screen resolution is changing to 800x480 rather than being at 640x480. One thing i need to investigate, I tested the game without the .vvvvvv folder and the aspect was bad. I then restored the previous .vvvvvv contents i had saved and it corrected itself. Maybe theres something different.

What confused me about this app was that I created a VVVVVV folder in appdata then it vanished after the .pnd app attempted to start from menu>games. :blink:

The .pnd file did remain though.

Last edited:
What confused me about this app was that I created a VVVVVV folder in appdata then it vanished after the .pnd app attempted to start from menu>games. :blink:
That's standard pnd_run.sh behaviour. As it have to create that directory at PND startup, if it find it empty at the end, it will drop it... Create an empty file (or anything) in the directory to have it after the exec.

Back