Vectrex Emulation?

berighteous said:
Molly!!!

I dont think he did put solar quest it was just an error with your monitor

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a java vectrex emulator for the pc and linux, so we can play while we wait for gp2x vectrexy goodness.
java vectrex emulator

It includes all the cart roms (they're pd now) and some homebrew roms, html manuals for all the games, and overlays. Molly!

berighteous said:
I found a java vectrex emulator for the pc and linux, so we can play while we wait for gp2x vectrexy goodness.
Ive got a Vectrex :lol:

With Spike :lol:

id just like to be able to play it when Im not at home. :(

No real feature development as such, but I have managed to reduce the size of the exe...

It's now 52KB (yes, 52KB). Even if I include the vectrex rom, it only takes it up 60KB, and thats statically linked!

I think we need a 64KB Emulator competition :D

Squidge said:
No real feature development as such, but I have managed to reduce the size of the exe...

It's now 52KB (yes, 52KB). Even if I include the vectrex rom, it only takes it up 60KB, and thats statically linked!

That's amazing. The Vectrex roms are tiny, you could attach them all and be around 200k.

Squidge said:

Tiny emulators aren't interesting. To have a fast emulator you have to make size/space tradeoffs!

Yeah, I know, but creating a 64KB (or in this case 52KB) emulator was interesting, and thus it was done :)

This one simply takes a while to startup, due a couple of lookup tables being created (kinda like lots of the 64KB PC demos out there)

Squidge said:
Yeah, I know, but creating a 64KB (or in this case 52KB) emulator was interesting, and thus it was done :)

This one simply takes a while to startup, due a couple of lookup tables being created (kinda like lots of the 64KB PC demos out there)

Could you share this little gem with us, brother? :):)

Sure, but I'd have to warn you that it contains no extra features, and is actually slower than the previous version as it's compiled for size, not speed.

Normally I am not interested in emulators because of the "using people's code against their will" aspect that is usually involved in getting ROMS and pretty much always involved in the device's operating system. Reading this thread has gotten me interested though, as it appears that producing a Vectrex emulator does not have such problems as the software is in the public domain.

I think I might like to have a go at this, but I don't want to step on any toes. Are there any objections?

When I was in college living in the dorms, a friend of mine and I spent many hours playing "Rip Off". Fond memories.

Back