Caanoo-Vectrex : Vectrex Emulator For Caanoo V1.1.1

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
caanoo-vectrex.jpg

Hi All,

VecX emulates the Vectrex game console on systems such as Linux and Windows.
It has been written by Valavan Manohararajah.

Here is a new version of my caanoo port.

What's new then in this version :
- CPU overclock options (it's now 633Mhz by default)
- Overlays support !

http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/index.php?/archives/495-Caanoo-Vectrex-Vectrex-Emulator-for-Caanoo-v1.1.1.html

Zx.

This is nice!!!! Question I know you are busy but would you be able to add usb joystick support to your emulators. I'd love to play them on the tv with a standard controller. Either way thanks for all your hard work.

for the life of me i cannot get the overlays to work

I have the overlays at 320x240 res and they are named chasm_norm and chasm_rot90

The rom is named chasm.bin and the overlay files are in png format. The rot90 is selected in options. I don't know what I'm doing wrong

any suggestions?

EDIT:

Got it working I switched to a different program and everything is fine.

it's most likely a uppercase/lowercase rom name / overlay name issue. The prefix name should be exactly the same.

concerning the usb joystick support, i don't know if there is any joystick supported by the caanoo ?

zx-81 said:
it's most likely a uppercase/lowercase rom name / overlay name issue. The prefix name should be exactly the same.

concerning the usb joystick support, i don't know if there is any joystick supported by the caanoo ?
I got the overlay issue fixed it was a problem with the type of resizing I was doing.

As for external joysticks yes they are supported I am using a simple logitech pad with picodrive and temper. It sees it and lets me map the buttons. A feature like that on the 2600 and colecovision would be sooooooo great!

Last edited by a moderator:
A little contribution at your work... ;)
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,662
(a set of various QVGA overlays pngs)

Gab1975 said:
A little contribution at your work... ;)
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,662
(a set of various QVGA overlays pngs)
I got quite a few done that you dont have. Do you want to combine our efforts and make one big package?

Also as of 1990 all the vectrex roms are public domain and legal we should just make one big pack with the commercial roms and overlays. The homebrew games are still sold so it might not be a good idea to include them.

qbertaddict said:
I got quite a few done that you dont have. Do you want to combine our efforts and make one big package?

Also as of 1990 all the vectrex roms are public domain and legal we should just make one big pack with the commercial roms and overlays. The homebrew games are still sold so it might not be a good idea to include them.

Of Course! During the next week I think to increase the package, but I haven't got all overlays, then it's a good idea to combine our efforts! :)

I would very much like to encourage the effort to make a big ROM download already pre-configured to rock and roll! :)

OK I will start working on this tonight at work. Hopefully I can get everything done during my shift. I will convert what I have and send it over to you to add what you have :) Then we will make it 1 big package and put it on the archive.

qbertaddict said:
As for external joysticks yes they are supported I am using a simple logitech pad with picodrive and temper. It sees it and lets me map the buttons. A feature like that on the 2600 and colecovision would be sooooooo great!

Ok, i've tried several joystick i have without any success and finally i got my playstation ps2 game pad working using an old ps2->PC/usb adapter :p. I will give it a try !

Any standard HID controller should work. Though ones that have a stick with throttle/rudder axes might have issues being stuck to the left.

I've been using a fairly nice and compact Tomee usb SNES clone pad that fits into the mesh pouch on the back of the case I've been using for my Caanoo.

qbertaddict said:
OK I will start working on this tonight at work. Hopefully I can get everything done during my shift. I will convert what I have and send it over to you to add what you have :) Then we will make it 1 big package and put it on the archive.

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

someoneElse said:
Any standard HID controller should work. Though ones that have a stick with throttle/rudder axes might have issues being stuck to the left.

I've been using a fairly nice and compact Tomee usb SNES clone pad that fits into the mesh pouch on the back of the case I've been using for my Caanoo.

ok, so i was unlucky with my saitek cyborg 3d & logitech 3d. Anyway i succeed to patch coleco and enjoy this emu on my TV with a ps2 pad :p ... i will release it soon ..

zx-81 said:
someoneElse said:

ok, so i was unlucky with my saitek cyborg 3d & logitech 3d. Anyway i succeed to patch coleco and enjoy this emu on my TV with a ps2 pad :p ... i will release it soon ..
Nice!!!! Can't wait!!

Could there be an option to set the transparency level of the overlays? Right now they kind of overpower the vector brightness.
On real hardware the vectors were bright (this added to the cool glowing effect) and the clear part of the overlays only changed the color of the vectors not the background.

Right now the overlays also make the background bright that would normally be black, reducing contrast. If there was an option you could at least reduce that effect.

Best yet would be to support the transparency spec of the PNG standard. Colors in the PNG that were set as opaque in png would always show up. Colors that are transparent in the PNG would only effect the color of the vectors and would show as black where there are no vectors. That would be the closest to a real Vectrex.

I posted this here as there seems to be more interest in the Caanoo but it would work for all versions.

Here is a link to what I have so far. All the roms that are in .vec format have overlays and are working. You might want to clean them up. I am not artistic. I also included the original overlays I used they are zipped up and located in the over directory. I put the complete goodset and a set of pd roms in the roms folder as well. Feel free to download it since the vectrex roms became public domain in 1990. If any authors of the homebrew roms do not want their roms in this package let me know and I will update it.

The link is here:

Link has been removed someone from this board hacked my account 30 minutes after this was posted the authorities have been contacted and you all can fuck off!

Back