Upgrade to IPB4

Well, it's... different... :ph34r:

Yes, the rules pop up every page in full size but OK, it can be fixed. I already have found a issue right now when writing these lines, enter makes a double line break, not a simple one, in other words, it leaves out a line.

See? ;)

Overall, it looks better and I hope the editing is better than in the last version where I constantly had to switch between simple and full edit view because it was so bugy otherwise (not beeing able to copy and edit quotes in the editor when in full mode for example).

New Forum also seems to stress my Pandora alot, I can not move the cursor here in the edit window with the D-Pad correctly, it stutters like hell.

...and did I mention the double line breaks? No, Shift+Enter does not work.

AARRGGGHHH! ^^"

About the editor:

The editor is now completely HTML, so source editing can't be enabled (unless we want tons of security issues!)

That's not how you do security.
That's EXACTLY how security is mostly done in the IT. XD

Last edited by a moderator:
About the editor:

The editor is now completely HTML, so source editing can't be enabled (unless we want tons of security issues!)

That's not how you do security.
Sure it is, the most secure system is the one that no one uses. :p

edit: but seriously, this is a major regression and IPB has done something wrong if they cannot allow source editing.

Yeah, I ignore them (the rules and the link to them).  I was once told it is perfectly fine to bump a sales thread every 24 hours, so I think it is just there so that it is in writing, and if you start to get too stupid you can't claim you didn't know the rules, because now they are in your face on every page.

A little silly that Wally's the one who submitted it.  http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/59-welcome-to-the-official-news-section/?do=findComment&comment=399523
Yeah, as Klumpen kinda hinted at, you can't have "don't be an idiot" as your only rule and expect people to comply in a sensible way, so the rules are there so they can be pointed at when people get carried away.  Kinda like cops, sometimes the mods step in for minor things, sometimes they don't (not meant to say either group doesn't do their jobs, just...is it really worth wasting everyone's time to bother a jaywalker on a street that has no cars driving on it, or to ban someone because they double posted?  Now running out in front of a car, or 17 posts in a row in the last 5 minutes all saying "bump" is another story.)

I already have found a issue right now when writing these lines, enter makes a double line break, not a simple one, in other words, it leaves out a line.

See? ;)

Overall, it looks better and I hope the editing is better than in the last version where I constantly had to switch between simple and full edit view because it was so bugy otherwise (not beeing able to copy and edit quotes in the editor when in full mode for example).

New Forum also seems to stress my Pandora alot, I can not move the cursor here in the edit window with the D-Pad correctly, it stutters like hell.

...and did I mention the double line breaks? No, Shift+Enter does not work.

The line breaks are bugging me too.  So are issues related to quoting.  They might get better, but nothing major.  I don't really like the new look as much as the, but it doesn't matter.  I come here to read what people have to say, not stare at the wall.

Edit2: It is nearly impossible to edit posts or write them on Opera 12 on my PC, please have a look. Buttons do not work, formatting is messed up. No, I will not switch to another browser, I need Opera 12, and actualy even it's an old Browser it fulfills almost all new webstandards so it actualy should work.  I also miss a full edit window and a preview option for posts... ^^"

Why can't sites jsut rely on basic webstandards? Then everything would work on every browser. I never had any issues with Opera 12 so I see no reason why this site does not work there. Skip all the "fancy" stuff and jsut use plain html or so, can't be that every browser handles webstandards different! I have to use Firefox to write here, how disgusting is that! :ph34r:

This is how it looks in Opera 12, I can write but the save/reply button does not work at all:

issue.jpg

I am testing something
Code:
Blah blah blah yakkity smackity
edit:

Ok, that's gross.  Invision should be ashamed of this.

edit edit: to clarify, I'm mixing bbcode and wysiwyg editing in a single comment, and all control of the bbcode is lost on submit.

Is it supposed to be normal for that Site Rules, Announcements box to be at the top of every topic page now?  Can I hide that?

That's one of the things I adblocked. Also the filter list on the left hand side in a list of new topics - I only use that once, then never touch it again. What's the point of it being there permanently? Still a hold shedload of wasted space though!

Here's a pic of my topic list now:

Image20.png

Proper quoting seems to require Javascript now. And Editing without JS is fun, too :)

Ok, it seems that on editing the NOSCRIPT version of the textarea is ignored (while it works fine in the thread view)

edit edit: to clarify, I'm mixing bbcode and wysiwyg editing in a single comment, and all control of the bbcode is lost on submit.

As I understand the language used, these edit boards no longer manipulate and render BBCode - they manipulate and render HTML behind the scenes.  If it respects any BBCode directives then they've been specifically coded to be recognised and translated.

This way of working ought to be okay if the editor can't accidentally be made to foul up and mean you have to delete everything and start again, as I had to with this post, but honestly so far it still feels like an improvement on the WYSIWYG mode of the old editor.  With a few bugs squashed it might suffice.

Regarding security I took a look at the source, and it seems to be doing some CSS jiggery pokery to render this edit box.  It's not just an HTML form you can hack XSS javascript into, although I've not yet got my head around CSS, so I don't know how secure the actual tranformed HTML is from hacking.

Testing again:

I am testing something
Code:
Blah blah blah yakkity smackity
edit:

Ok, that's gross. Invision should be ashamed of this.

Test here
edit: Not exactly what I was expecting. Some growing pains to be had but at least it's functional.

This new board seems to use a lot more vertical space than the last one. feels like I've got to scroll everywhere to read things.

This new board seems to use a lot more vertical space than the last one. feels like I've got to scroll everywhere to read things.
It seems that way to me too, but, like many of the other little things, I thought it was just my brain not liking the changes.

Do we get a few extra posts per page (25 instead of 20)?  If so, I like that.  Not sure if any tinkering was done behind the scenes since I noticed there seemed to be more posts per page.

Even with editing in source view I can't get rid of that extra line after quotes...

For more overview in the threads I suggest to use alternating background colours, light and dark grey every 2. post or so. At  the moment it's pretty uniform and the post-separation is not  that great for the eyes.^^" 

Not sure if it's just me, but I'm not able to reply to any of the existing threads in the official pyra news forum.   Other forums seem fine.

Not sure if it's just me, but I'm not able to reply to any of the existing threads in the official pyra news forum.   Other forums seem fine.
Not just you, even as a moderator I can't reply...

And editing seems to show me the HTML code for the post.  Not ideal.

Also, quotes no longer identify who they're quoting.  You'll note that all the quotes in posts above since ED enabled the new plugin are anonymous.

Really hating the round avatars, just destroys part of the image for no reason.

While you're updating things, some way to securely log in without fb/twitter would be nice, right now logging in while using public wifi networks is just giving away the password for everyone on the network.

There was the same effect after last big update, it seems they just can't resist filling space with bloat of higher res displays people get over the years...

Back