Bricked Caanoo Trying To Upgrade

eburn

Still Fresh
Hi, I'm new here and this is my very first topic, so if I'm doing anything wrong, please let me know.

So, I have my CAANOO that was running its defalt firmware, but I'm not sure about which version it had (1.0.0 maybe?). I was trying to upgrade it to the 1.5.0 with a 8GB SDHC4, but it was "upgrading" for an hour and nothing seemed to be changed, so I decided to restart it, holding the power-button down to turn it off.

Now it doesn't even turn on. Can I still restore my CAANOO, guys? Thank you.

Try upgrading the firmware with a non-sdhc card. They sometimes bork the process.

Plug it on your PC with your USB cable and turn it on, it will relaunch ;)

Also, the best is to format you SD in FAT32 with Windows (there are known problems with linux).

Copy your FW and eject your SD "properly" with Windows.

It works in general.

Also : use the SD card you use in general, it works better.

Sorry for delaying my reply, and thank you for your quick response.

I tried using a regular 2GB SD (the same one I use on my Wii, because it can't upload cIOS with a SDHC as well), I tried plugging it on my PC with the 2GB SD, plugging it without any SD, I tried everything again after formatting the SD, but nothing seems to work.

When I plug it on my PC, it still turns its red LED on, to indicate it's charging the battery, but doesn't respond when the power switch is pressed in any direction.

Anyone's got any other advice? Thank you guys.

Sorry to say it sounds like your Caanoo is indeed bricked. The Wiz suffered from this same problem of upgrading with certain sdhc cards. The best advice would be to try returning it to where ever you purchased it as it has a 1 year warranty. There is also an after sales location you can send it to for repairs but you'll probably have to pay for shipping, it's in Germany.

Polytech & Net GmbH
Ober der Roeth 4,
65824 Schwalbach
Germany
Main : 49-6196-652-0049
Fax : 49-6196-95-26-1
ATTN : Ms. Lee
E-Mail as-europe@gp2x.com
HomePage : www.ptn-global.com

Thanks for the advice. I bought it from ebay, directly from Korea, so I'll ask the seller if I can return it.

In case the seller refuses it, do you think that contact you gave me will fix it for free? I mean, I'll sure pay the shipment cost, but will I have to pay extra for the technical support?

Same happend to me. Update took too long for me so I switched of my caanoo. It didn't reboot. It really was dead (even on my computer), that means: Failure at bootloader update. After I took a look at my SD I realized that something had to gone wrong. All files are 0bites big.

I've emailed the AS-Center and attached my invoice for warranty and then I've sent it. They resent it to Korea and approx. a month later I got it back. Now it's working fine. :) I only had to pay the shipping costs.

Hope I could help
lenrlad

lenrlad said:
I've emailed the AS-Center and attached my invoice for warranty and then I've sent it.

Can you post they'r e-mail here?

Also: What are the precaution i have to take to my caanoo don't brick during the upgrade? How long should it take to upgrade?

Last edited by a moderator:
Orion4874 said:
Polytech & Net GmbH
Ober der Roeth 4,
65824 Schwalbach
Germany
Main : 49-6196-652-0049
Fax : 49-6196-95-26-1
ATTN : Ms. Lee
E-Mail as-europe@gp2x.com
HomePage : www.ptn-global.com

Look after your files onto the sdcard (whether they exists or an error occured while unpacking). It usually should take about 10min at least, I don't know, but never 1h.
I think I have read an instruction for upgrading last days. I'll try to find it.

EDIT:
Okay, it was at the German board: here

Last edited by a moderator:
We have here three people with the same problem. (in the french caanoo community)

One of them used a 512mo SD instead of a SDHC, but the brick happened. He had the Caanoo 1 day :/

Back