Update regarding the cases (and some other things)

For a "military case" solid black, green, or tan is sufficient and what would be found on a lot of real military equipment. We will be getting black or dark grey, so check that one off. With the right beige it would be close to tan, so maybe combine supporters of both the "retro" and "mil" look by finding a color that all 8 of those people like. I think there were a few people that said they like green. Getting them to all agree on a shade of green may be problematic. IMO, camo or pseudo-camo patterns on smaller items is silly and pointless, and just plain ugly.

Now, if there were a bunch of people that wanted it I an all for them getting it if there are more that like that over another color, and it doesn't increase the cost to make the cases. There have already been unexpected delays and expenses with the cases.

@Yuji Sakai : Yes, the hardware still contains bugs... although it is hard to see...

cockroach.gif

For a "military case" solid black, green, or tan is sufficient and what would be found on a lot of real military equipment. We will be getting black or dark grey, so check that one off. With the right beige it would be close to tan, so maybe combine supporters of both the "retro" and "mil" look by finding a color that all 8 of those people like. I think there were a few people that said they like green. Getting them to all agree on a shade of green may be problematic. IMO, camo or pseudo-camo patterns on smaller items is silly and pointless, and just plain ugly.

Now, if there were a bunch of people that wanted it I an all for them getting it if there are more that like that over another color, and it doesn't increase the cost to make the cases. There have already been unexpected delays and expenses with the cases.

Or maybe Black with Green Semigraphics? (many shades of green) it would look something between The Matrix code and demoscene for monochromatic green monitor :p

If it's all too much of a hassle or delay invoking, I'll rather switch to a 2GB version instead.
I'm pretty sure that will be taken care for us anyway. The only way you could make it quicker for ED is if you coordinate all 4GB orderers to cancel and order an 2GB unit instead, and that might cause even more trouble.

@CaseColor
maybe CamoGreen? (mixed different shades of green in inregular shapes)
also maybe added component which is not much color changing, but decreases chance of cracking of the case?
that "Military Case (TM)" would be nice

@Memory4GB_Bug
Very sad it is still not finally fixed... but if it goes nasty and needs some fiddling with PCB - please add 8GB-PAE version :)

Or maybe Black with Green Semigraphics? (many shades of green) it would look something between The Matrix code and demoscene for monochromatic green monitor :p

Sorry to kill Your buzz, but just for informational purposes, so more Forums Users unsure of the technology behind painting have an idea how colors are achieved and what it means to us...

1. Plastic parts from injection molding, to my knowledge, most often come only in 1 color (maybe they always have to do). This comes from the mix of "pellets" that form the plastic (they look like ASG projectiles, and then they melt and fill the form having the shape we want to achieve in a part). I also think not all colors are attainable this way (?)
2. If we would like to have many colors or shades, especially shaded with "hard" edges, it would require coat(s) of paint. Paint would peel off (from the context of some forums posts I understand that Pandora had a painted case and of course after years the coat got damaged.

I believe that if we look at 'military' (both real use and styled objects), it's like this:
1. Small things need to be only rather solid color, like rygD noted
2. Small metal things, like small arms, can be patterned using hydrographics
2. Most small and big metal things nowadays are probably powder coated and this is indeed a paint that is peel-resistant etc... but unsuitable for plastic parts.

I'd love a ~tactical~, and rugged pyra as much as You or the other guy (and soon I will already start working on a tough as heck "external case" to carry it in), but using an external container would not compromise that much.

Matrix-code would indeed need paint
BUT
camo green could be acquired putting many shades of green at once into the mold (it need more than one injector though), the only problem would be that those shapes would be semi-random so it would differ from device to device.

1. Plastic parts from injection molding, to my knowledge, most often come only in 1 color (maybe they always have to do). This comes from the mix of "pellets" that form the plastic (they look like ASG projectiles, and then they melt and fill the form having the shape we want to achieve in a part). I also think not all colors are attainable this way (?)
IIRC colors are not being mixed before injection, the raw material is already ordered in the wanted color - it would require extra machinery and time to properly mix the colors. You can easily get your raw material in any color you'd like if you don't mind ordering a few tons at once, but if you stick to the few popular ones you'll have no problems finding sources that sell in much smaller quantities - if the color isn't already available due to being used for other plastic parts regularly. ED already explained that the minimum ordering quantity is what's limiting the choice of color.

I'm pretty sure that will be taken care for us anyway. The only way you could make it quicker for ED is if you coordinate all 4GB orderers to cancel and order an 2GB unit instead, and that might cause even more trouble.
What if someone throws a couple million eurobucks at him? (If anyone is planning that, feel free to send money my way, too. :p)

What about a transparent toxic green?
:D Are you teasing me? Please post pics of what you have in mind. If it isn't already obvious, I LOVE certain greens, such as bright "neon" ones, especially when translucent or transparent or whatever.

(I am also fond of the related bright pinks. When younger I also liked those kinds of yellow and orange, but they lost their appeal since those are so often used on safety and warning equipment. Even though the pink and green were popular for a while, and are still common for some things, I love that look. Funny thing is I usually prefer subdued colors, and grey and black. Ya know, plain "boring" colors. The bright ones don't really seem to fit.)

Here's my impractical desire for case colors:
Some phone manufacturers have been playing around with the idea of covering the case of a phone in an E-Ink display so that you can have customizable patterns or even useful information displayed on the case of your phone.
https://www.wired.com/2016/05/get-ready-world-covered-electronic-paper/

Just imagine a clear pyra case with E-Ink behind it. Then we could have any pattern that we want. If the case used color E-Ink we could even have the ability to choose the color of our cases.

On a more achievable side would be printable displays on the inside of a transparent case. These wouldn't be as dynamic as E-Ink but could have some interesting possibilities. https://technabob.com/blog/2014/10/09/printable-thin-flexible-displays/

Anyways, fanciful visions of what could be done being put aside. Those black cases look pretty sweet.

Ain't colourful stabilized wood and resins with sparkly sparkle-particles the latest case craze?

New wood cases are looking extreme nice.
But they need to be slight thicker then regular cases an would make the Pyra even thicker.

And the sweat from the hands make it looking ugly extreme fast.

Back