Update Openpandora.ca?

I'd guess that he means October is a green (low risk) date to promise to newcommers, rather than an expected date before shipping commences.

gibberish said:
So yet again were back to '2 months'. I'm fed up of this. I dont think we'll see it til 2010, what a joke.
I know I am just restating what has been said already but I don't understand why people think it has to be the end of a set time period.
It is currently the end of August and so it is about 1 month to October. Current reports on the forum have shown some will be done by mid September. We don't know the full story yet so why do people continue to speculate.

Until an official announcement is made concerning this new date let it be.

Last edited by a moderator:
gibberish said:
So yet again were back to '2 months'. I'm fed up of this. I dont think we'll see it til 2010, what a joke.
Do you understand where the project is at? The case moulds are half done! There are no more design delays or prototypes. We're going to see real Pandoras in a few weeks.

Gruso said:
gibberish said:
Do you understand where the project is at? The case moulds are half done! There are no more design delays or prototypes. We're going to see real Pandoras in a few weeks.

I hope you right Gruso :) . Finally we will see a fully completed working Panadora in the flesh. HQ Video only guys sorry 56kers :p

Gruso said:
gibberish said:

i suppose technically the case moulds are 2/3rds done since they would take 30-35 days from the 11th.

Oddly, i pulled an old Games(tm) out of my cupboard the other day and issue 71 had Mr Rothwell saying the Pandora would be available in July. Current issue of Games(tm) is 86 with 13 issues a year.

I'm not sure that it's realistic to assume that the first 100 will ship mid September.

It's not as thought the things will instantly materialize on our doorsteps as soon as both the case and the motherboards are made. Someone still has to assemble them, put them in boxes, test a few of them, program them all with this week's latest firmware, and who knows what other things.

All boring and low-risk tasks, but it's a (very common) mistake to assume that a number of boring, low-risk tasks will take a "trivial" amount of time.

It will take quite a long time to build the 4000 Pandoras even after all the parts have shipped to the devs:

Lets say it takes 15 minutes to build, install software to the NAND, test the Pandora, and package it for shipping.
Multiply that by 4000 units to get 1000 man hours. If one was to work for an average of 8 hours a day thats 125 days.
But lets say 4 people are working to build Pandoras 8 hours a day at the same rate, it will still be 31.5 days to finish shipping them all.

Hopefully they will get a crew of 10 or so people- Last I heard only 2 devs are doing this full time. If they are not all built at one location it will be even more time for shipping. Anyone who believes that they'll see their Pandora by early October is kidding themselves (or is in the first 100 :)

Exactly, that's the sort of stuff that's easy to think "That's easy, I know how to do that. No problem." without ever really calculating how long it will really take to do hundreds or thousands of them.

Hate to accuse OP of such a basic mistake, but time estimates have not really proven to be their forte so far.

Gruso said:
gibberish said:

yes i do. i know its close to completion, but "close" means nothing when its been "close" since november last year.

It will take quite a long time to build the 4000 Pandoras even after all the parts have shipped to the devs:
I thought assembly is done in a factory in Texas and not by the OP team themselves.

Gruso said:
We're going to see real Pandoras in a few weeks.

Careful. Thems Hat eatin' words.

I will be happy if it comes before christmas. Do they have to assembly all the 4000 pandora's by themselfs? really? i guess they are gonna come made by the factory... at least i hope it, if not, i wont see mine before 2010... i preorder in februry and i guess my number its like the 3500 or something like that...

guizm said:
I will be happy if it comes before christmas. Do they have to assembly all the 4000 pandora's by themselfs? really? i guess they are gonna come made by the factory... at least i hope it, if not, i wont see mine before 2010... i preorder in februry and i guess my number its like the 3500 or something like that...
my order is about number 4000 :S

borgqueenx said:
guizm said:
my order is about number 4000 :S

It will be hard to see all the videos and photos of people with their pandoras before us... At least i hope that it will be just a few weeks of waiting...

LOL, when will any of you finally realise that -

It will always be 'close', it will always be 2 months away, IT WILL NEVER BE DELIVERED.

When you are all still here a year from now discussing how it is still 2 months away, will you realise then?

LOL

I don't think it should be taken too serious (openpandora.ca)

for one "Shipping October 9th" is just thrown in with MSPaint or something.
For two the "TI Inside" just cracks me up and makes wish the thing was real :angry:

But it is coming I just don't believe they have an exact date :rolleyes:

Back