Release [Upcoming] Pandora Clock

-> for Sidney, it should be spelled "Sydney" if you want the one from Australia :)
As embarrassing as this is for me this could still be a potential problem, as there are cities in different countries with the same name.

-> bbb - I am not responsible of what the Api returns. If you enter wierd strings the Yahoo API still returns results sometimes.
I know, just wanted to share my "discovery" - you could also try "ttt"

-> about the PNDtools, I do not know why you cannot open it :)
What are you using to create the pnd ? PNDTools usually gets the job done very well - even on the borked ones I create from time to time

As embarrassing as this is for me this could still be a potential problem, as there are cities in different countries with the same name.

No need to feel embarassed, I realize the spelling of major cities can differ based on your country/language.

However for disambiguation you can always enter "name,country" and it works to get the right city in the right country, too.

What are you using to create the pnd ? PNDTools usually gets the job done very well - even on the borked ones I create from time to time

I don't work on Windows. I use Linux (different flavors, OpenSuse, Ubuntu, Mint) to do all my development related work, and therefore I use pnd_make.sh (command line tool) to make the pnd. Works fine, I don't need a GUI for this kind of things.

Also, you could add some tips on good sleep, such as that sleep duration should be a multiple of 90 minutes, but not between 30 minutes and 3 hours.

I've heard this kind of things before, but is there any science to back these claims ?
As far as I'm aware, some aren't, but many are. I've heard this on television a few times, including from people who are known for being careful with what they're saying.

Unfortunately it's apparently not very easy to find reliable information about this on the Internet, or at least I wasn't able to make out a reputable source with a short search. The only thing I can give you on this for now is the following two quotes from Wikipedia, with an explicit warning not to trust these quotes blindly:

A cycle takes approximately 90-110 minutes to complete.
The experimental group was given a 60-90 minute afternoon nap (one full cycle), [...]
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_and_memory (Wikipedia)

If my memory serves me correctly, 90 minutes is roughly the 'middle' (as in, median) value, but I might be wrong with this.

Note that I'm not a professional sleep researcher or anything like that, either. If you cannot find reliable information about this, then better don't implement tips.

-----

Magnums for instance taste better if they're allowed to thaw a bit after they're taken out of the freezer. If an approximate ambient temperature is known, it should be possible to determine a near-ideal (sufficiently ideal) waiting time.

OK, interesting feature - but doenst that depend from the popsicle composition ? If its mostly water of if theres lots of cream, the duration needed to reach the right time for eating would be different :) If you can send me a few magnums over I can make some tests however :) In Japan we dont have magnums unfortunately.
Sure, I could send you some in a plastic bottle I guess. I don't know whether that would help, though ;)

From my unrepresentative(!) experience the difference between most non-waterice compositions isn't as big as the difference that differing temperatures make. I guess water ice might melt down much quicker, but I don't have experience with that.

Well, I guess the most viable options are:

• ...not to implement this feature;
  • ...to find a good way that crowd-sourced information can be made somewhat usable (cheap measurement method with high reliability and comparability);
  • ...to guesstimate based on own measurements, then tweak based on future feedback;
  • ...or to ask the manufacturer(s).

don't know if this has been reported but of the country/city is long the text and internet on/off overlay, could this be fixed?

here is a screen shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Maybe put them on separate lines? There's plenty of space.

Also, Why not enlarge everything to make full use of the screen?

don't know if this has been reported but of the country/city is long the text and internet on/off overlay, could this be fixed?

here is a screen shot.

Yes, this can be fixed :) Actually I was already applying a name-reducer for the "other locations" (for other time zones) and I can reapply it for the main country / city as well ! Thanks for catching this!

^ Maybe put them on separate lines? There's plenty of space.

Also, Why not enlarge everything to make full use of the screen?

Because there's more things coming on screen :)

That's for the next version. I won't spoil the surprise yet !

Hey thanks for answering all points :)

regarding sleep... ()

Even if the 90mins cycle time in indeed true, the problem is still not solved because there is a missing variable : the time it takes for you to fall asleep at the time you set the alarm clock. That time can vary greatly from one individual to another, from your current level of tiredness, from the time in the night and your current state in your bio-rythm.

However I can propose something in between:

- recommending at least 7 hours sleep when you set the alarm.

that's 4 cycles of 90 minutes + a reasonable buffer time to let you fall asleep. What do you think ?

From my unrepresentative(!) experience the difference between most non-waterice compositions isn't as big as the difference that differing temperatures make. I guess water ice might melt down much quicker, but I don't have experience with that.

Well, I guess the most viable options are:

• ...not to implement this feature;
  • ...to find a good way that crowd-sourced information can be made somewhat usable (cheap measurement method with high reliability and comparability);
  • ...to guesstimate based on own measurements, then tweak based on future feedback;
  • ...or to ask the manufacturer(s).

Actually composition makes a huge difference - milk and sugar have different properties in cold temperatures and that's why basic ice/sugar popsicles melt much faster than magnums, for example. There are many elements to take in account as well - such as the ambient humidity - it's not just a matter of temperature :)

The easiest way to figure it out would be through testing. I dont think the manufacturer would deliver such information :)

Even if the 90mins cycle time in indeed true, the problem is still not solved because there is a missing variable : the time it takes for you to fall asleep at the time you set the alarm clock. That time can vary greatly from one individual to another, from your current level of tiredness, from the time in the night and your current state in your bio-rythm.
That's why I talked about tips on good sleep (as opposed to, say, a sleep cycle timer).

If I were in your position, I would either just leave it out, or look out for reliable information.

-----

Actually composition makes a huge difference [...] it's not just a matter of temperature :)
I'm aware of that. Still, if my unrepresentative experience is somewhat right, then the required waiting time for 'best taste' is mostly dependent on temperature. I don't know why that might be the case though, as I have never really looked at it.

The easiest way to figure it out would be through testing. I dont think the manufacturer would deliver such information :)
I don't think the information would have to be specific enough that a manufacturer would never provide it, but well, it's your decision.

If you ever decide upon a good measuring methodology and a useful definition of 'tastes best', I might be able to collect some information in the future.

This ice cream / popsicle defrosting discussion is a bit strange ;) but I'd just point out that it also depends on the temperature of your freezer: I have a big freezer at -20 degrees C, and a little freezer inside the fridge which is probably at -15 or so (actually I don't know its temp exactly). The starting temperature obviously makes a difference.

Also the temperature you get from the weather service is not going to be exactly correct (especially not if you're not outdoors!). You could actually use the CPU temperature to get a better estimate: if the user hasn't been holding the Pandora (and if you use it as a clock, you probably don't), and if CPU usage has been not too high, the CPU temperature will be just the ambient room temperature.

[...] The starting temperature obviously makes a difference.

Also the temperature you get from the weather service is not going to be exactly correct [...]
I don't thaw ice cream for a living, but I'm not sure if it's even necessary to have such 'precise' temperatures...

Then again, some people have air conditioners while others don't.

This ice cream / popsicle defrosting discussion is a bit strange ;) [...]
If you have a look at http://www.magnumicecream.com/about.aspx, you can see that Magnum is a "[...] handheld ice cream [...]". It was "Launched in 1989, [...]", and yet, despite having been launched so early, as far as I'm aware there's not a single handheld yet that actually supports this ice cream (or any other ice cream, for that matter). Why shouldn't Pandora be the first?

This ice cream / popsicle defrosting discussion is a bit strange ;) [...]
If you have a look at http://www.magnumice....com/about.aspx, you can see that Magnum is a "[...] handheld ice cream [...]". It was "Launched in 1989, [...]", and yet, despite having been launched so early, as far as I'm aware there's not a single handheld yet that actually supports this ice cream (or any other ice cream, for that matter). Why shouldn't Pandora be the first?

lol!

Yes, someone urgently has to port Magnum to the Pandora ;)

Yes, this can be fixed :) Actually I was already applying a name-reducer for the "other locations" (for other time zones) and I can reapply it for the main country / city as well ! Thanks for catching this!

Have you considered using just a symbol to indicate the connection, or maybe making it displaying it all an option ?

I personally don't see the need for it beeing that near the center of attention / beeing there at all.

Because there's more things coming on screen :)

That's for the next version. I won't spoil the surprise yet !
but till these feature are implemented it wouldn't hurt increasing the digits size - or would it ?

And please be carefull not to clutter the screen too much, it still a clock after all

thatgui :

-> I could use an icon, true. However it's not an option not to display it, since several functions of the clock need internet access, therefore you should be able to know if you are connected or not.

-> increasing the digits size is going to be a lot more work than the other functions planned, unfortunately. When I started on the program I was only aiming at simulating a LED display, and I hard-coded all the sizes in polygons with fixed size. Now, to change that, I need to reprogram the whole display part. I'll probably have to do that down the road anyway, but I still want to experiment with a few other features before doing that. (i.e. when you program, usually you like doing something new, not just programming a function that is not really visible to anyone :) )

-> dont worry I won't clutter the screen too much. I am usually very careful about appearance.

-> I could use an icon, true. However it's not an option not to display it, since several functions of the clock need internet access, therefore you should be able to know if you are connected or not.
I don't know what your planning, but isn't it already obvious wether there is a internet connection available or not ?

=> If the connection is available the weather info is show if non is available it isn't. And there is also the wifi LED, which at least gives the user a hint wether a connection could be established.

I don't know what your planning, but isn't it already obvious wether there is a internet connection available or not ?

=> If the connection is available the weather info is show if non is available it isn't. And there is also the wifi LED, which at least gives the user a hint wether a connection could be established.

I think none of the above is obvious - they could give you hints if the connection is working or not, or it could be an problem with the api query while you are still online.

Anyway, I can settle for an Icon, that should solve the space issue and release some space on screen.

I think none of the above is obvious - they could give you hints if the connection is working or not, or it could be an problem with the api query while you are still online.
true, but would it make a real difference for the end user ? => The programm does not what it is supposed to do. If it is an internal error (e.g. API error) the user can't do anything about it, if it is due to a not established internet connection, the normal user will sure exit the program and check on the connection all by itself.

Sorry for that - I'm a "mister know it all" aka "wise-ass"

Sorry for that - I'm a "mister know it all" aka "wise-ass"

No problem about that - I like challenges :)

I only have a simple answer for you - I think what you say makes perfect sense and you are not "wrong", but I have a preference to make some elements explicit to the user. Just like I did not have to include the bottom bar with the detailed shortcuts (I could just have said "read the doc" instead), I believe an indication of what is working and not working is useful.

This being said, I can make an option to remove that icon / internet on mention. That's very easy. I'll keep this on my to-do list.

Pandora clock v1.1 in the repo !

Changes :

- added one color (turquoise) on top of the existing ones

- Adjusted timeout for internet connection (might solve some connection problems)

- Added option (keyboard (i)) to adjust the Internet display settings between icon, icon+text, text only, or nothing!

Here is a screen of the latest version:

04.png

I just downloaded the clock and it looks great! However, what shows as "12:14:37" in 24Hour mode shows as "PM 00:14:37" in 12Hour (AM/PM) mode (should show as "PM 12:14:37"). Is anyone else experiencing this?

Application updated to 1.2 with now a feed display for the London 2012 Olympic Games news.

http://repo.openpand...andoraclock-app

(can be enabled/disabled by pressing "R" anytime)

I just downloaded the clock and it looks great! However, what shows as "12:14:37" in 24Hour mode shows as "PM 00:14:37" in 12Hour (AM/PM) mode (should show as "PM 12:14:37"). Is anyone else experiencing this?

Oops that's a mistake from my part. I will fix this :)

Back