Uae4all Amiga Emulator Port To Gp2x

gaterooze posted on Feb 20 2006 at 11:41 AM said:
chris_r said:
Well not meaning to be rude but all critical did was port it which is practically no work compared to the huge effort chui put in to make the thing in the first place

Mate, that's the sort of crap you'd expect from whiny kids on a PSP forum. If it was "practically no work" then why don't you do it yourself?

The vast majority of handheld emulators are "just ports," but it is certainly NOT an easy matter to do it well. These excellent devs should be given all the support we can.

So thanks again, critical. Your efforts are MUCH appreciated.
Thanks for that. I probably got over-annoyed, but that's just because I've spent a fair amount of time working on the thing over the past week. I know I haven't done much different from chui's code yet, but I have plans, and I've expended effort looking into different ways of doing things that might improve it. I don't want a guru tag, or anything like that - I just want people to tell me what they want improved, and I'll try to do it. I fully accept that what I've done is very little compared to that of the *many* people who've contributed to the source base in the past. I don't really see how it could be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that.  I probably got over-annoyed, but that's just because I've spent a fair amount of time working on the thing over the past week.  I know I haven't done much different from chui's code yet, but I have plans, and I've expended effort looking into different ways of doing things that might improve it.  I don't want a guru tag, or anything like that - I just want people to tell me what they want improved, and I'll try to do it.  I fully accept that what I've done is very little compared to that of the *many* people who've contributed to the source base in the past.  I don't really see how it could be.

No, you reacted naturally. His remark was quite childish and jerkish.

PS. I am sure we all want improvement in the speed department ;)

WhiteFalcon posted on Feb 20 2006 at 12:07 PM said:
PS. I am sure we all want improvement in the speed department ;)
Hehe. I just noticed that PSP-UAE clocks the PSP to 333MHz when it runs. It has a few funky features for key remapping though, which I might well rip off (and provide credit, of course).

The graphics rendering is what needs attention now.

critical posted on Feb 20 2006 at 12:16 PM said:
Hehe. I just noticed that PSP-UAE clocks the PSP to 333MHz when it runs. It has a few funky features for key remapping though, which I might well rip off (and provide credit, of course).
I don't think you'll get away with clocking our GP2X's to 333 MhZ - although it would be sweet - good luck! ;)

More seriously - this is great work - please be encouraged !!! One thing I would appreciate is a guide on the merits of the different throttles? Someone wrote on the wiki that throttle 20 is faster than 60 - if that's the case maybe you should default to 20 in the next release BTW - and I found that Agony worked on 20 but not on 0, which was weird.

By the way do you have a personal paypal account or just a business one? I've got some credits which would like to avoid Paypal tax.. I know you have your address in this thread somewhere, but you ought to stick your paypal details on the menu or something like Reesy has done with DRMD. I'm sure you're not doing this to become rich, but you may as well make it as easy as poss for people to donate :D

Fiendicus_Prime posted on Feb 20 2006 at 12:44 PM said:
critical posted on Feb 20 2006 at 12:16 PM said:
I don't think you'll get away with clocking our GP2X's to 333 MhZ - although it would be sweet - good luck! ;)
No - I think people might notice if I just silently clocked it on start :)

Throttles
----------

They really do depend on the game. It balances the amount of time spent on CPU emulation against that spent on graphics and sound.

The lower the value, the more time is allocated to the CPU emulation. For uae4allgp2x there's no difference between 0 and 20, which should allow maximum CPU speed at the expense of graphics performance. Games are more likely to work like this, and crash if the value is high as they might not get enough CPU time. It's all a trade-off, and would depend on how the game was coded, etc.

Fiendicus_Prime posted on Feb 20 2006 at 12:44 PM said:
By the way do you have a personal paypal account or just a business one? I've got some credits which would like to avoid Paypal tax.. I know you have your address in this thread somewhere, but you ought to stick your paypal details on the menu or something like Reesy has done with DRMD. I'm sure you're not doing this to become rich, but you may as well make it as easy as poss for people to donate :D
I've just got the one account (alister [at] criticalhippo.co.uk) - they made me upgrade my personal account to a premium one to allow debit/credit card payments. Does paypal charge for transfers between paypal accounts? I must admit I'm much more used to spending money on it <_<

critical posted on Feb 20 2006 at 01:51 PM said:
Throttles
----------

Thanks for the explanation Critical. It's good to know 0 and 20 are the same - saves trying both! :)

Edit: I updated the Wiki to explain the throttling better. I have read between the lines and hope I am accurate.

Can I suggest that one option is removed then to avoid confusion..
critical posted on Feb 20 2006 at 01:51 PM said:
I've just got the one account (alister [at] criticalhippo.co.uk) - they made me upgrade my personal account to a premium one to allow debit/credit card payments. Does paypal charge for transfers between paypal accounts? I must admit I'm much more used to spending money on it <_<
They charge for paypal transfers if you have a business account, but not if you have a personal account. Some people keep two of them active so they can take paypal transfers at no charge. It's probably not worth it though because most people don't have paypal funds to transfer.

A mate just reminded me that the copy of Agony we used to play - because AHEM we didn't want to wear out the original - was still a pain to copy. If you didn't do it right then you couldn't kill the enemies. So it seems my rip of it is a bit bodgy - mystery solved :D

Fiendicus_Prime posted on Feb 20 2006 at 04:01 PM said:
A mate just reminded me that the copy of Agony we used to play - because AHEM we didn't want to wear out the original - was still a pain to copy. If you didn't do it right then you couldn't kill the enemies. So it seems my rip of it is a bit bodgy - mystery solved :D
It looks like Agony might be doing some funky stuff:
http://zakalwe.virtuaalipalvelin.net/~shd/.../agafix-v2.html

critical posted on Feb 20 2006 at 04:17 PM said:
It looks like Agony might be doing some funky stuff:
http://zakalwe.virtuaalipalvelin.net/~shd/.../agafix-v2.html
Those naughty programmers :D
I don't think that is related to the problem though - firstly you are emulating a 68000 anyway, and secondly we specifically remember having this problem when you didn't copy the disk properly (I think it had to be nibblecopied with a specific version of XCopy, or something).
I need to get hold of a different adf set to try out.

Hey Critical ...

Maybe it would make more sense to change THROTTLE to something a little less cryptic? Maybe have the UI set up more like a slider:

slider.jpg

What do you think? Most UAE people are comfortable with the slider from WinUAE and this makes MUCH more sense; having worked on trying to make near impossible games work at AmigaEmulation.com - I know how much this can make a difference on games.

Thoughts?

Shane R. Monroe posted on Feb 20 2006 at 05:11 PM said:
Maybe it would make more sense to change THROTTLE to something a little less cryptic? Maybe have the UI set up more like a slider:

Thoughts?
It would definately be good to be less cryptic.
I'd prefer to know how fast the emulated 68000 was running - i.e. is it 7.14 MhZ, 6 MhZ etc. You could also put the clockspeed for the other chipsets there, but obviously not allow them to be changed.

Fiendicus_Prime posted on Feb 20 2006 at 05:31 PM said:
Shane R. Monroe posted on Feb 20 2006 at 05:11 PM said:

Thoughts?
It would definately be good to be less cryptic.
I'd prefer to know how fast the emulated 68000 was running - i.e. is it 7.14 MhZ, 6 MhZ etc. You could also put the clockspeed for the other chipsets there, but obviously not allow them to be changed.
I like the updated wiki text - nice one, Fiendicus_Prime. Much clearer.

On the subject of showing the emulated 68k speed... the throttling isn't just a measure of how fast the CPU is running - drawing shortcuts happen as well (which then impact the sound handling). Personally, I like Shane's idea of making it like the WinUAE one, as it doesn't attach arbitrary numbers to things. Okay, so you have to count the notches when you're reporting which setting works best, but I think that wouldn't be too bad.

critical posted on Feb 20 2006 at 05:53 PM said:
On the subject of showing the emulated 68k speed... the throttling isn't just a measure of how fast the CPU is running - drawing shortcuts happen as well (which then impact the sound handling). Personally, I like Shane's idea of making it like the WinUAE one, as it doesn't attach arbitrary numbers to things. Okay, so you have to count the notches when you're reporting which setting works best, but I think that wouldn't be too bad.
Seeing as it isn't just about the CPU speed, I totally agree a slider is better.

So that it is easy to report, the settings could be given arbitrary numbers? Say 1 - 5 with 5 being the most accurate.

I dunno ... I wasn't thinking about how to record the settings (so much for foresight). Heh. I could make the Wiki Tool actually have radio buttons that would translate into recreating the slider, that way, it would still be VISUAL for them to report it, but you wouldn't have to really know 'which notch is which'. Something like this.

slider2.jpg

I'll fashion it however you choose to use it. I think this setting is really important to start tracking in the Wiki anyway.

HOL's gave me a database dump of their games ... no more popups or weird typing in numbers will be necessary on the Wiki tool on the next version.

hi all, just on the wiki and i've read the included read me with the emu, i have a kick.rom thats 512 in size and it is version 1.3, i thrown the addams family into the roms folder and turned status ln on and sound was off, i selected the addams family with the b button and it returned to the menu wehere i clicked on run, the screen goes black and the game never loads? the status dont appear to be flashing or anything, the emu hasnt crashed as i can still return to the menu, what am i doing wrong? i tried throttle at 0 and at 60 and at 100.

hi shane, it was indeed a bad kickstart, it was a 513kb one so that wasnt a great start, sorted now. musta been a bad dump that i came across, playing nebulas now. ;)

cheers

Back