Gp2x Tracker 0.1.0 Released

critical

Certified Guru
Website
www.handheldhacker.com
I've tidied up the project I'd been looking at a while ago and it's available to play with if you want (as demether asked if there was anything available yesterday).

It's in the file archive here:
http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,1,0,0,6,1413

gp2xtracker.jpg

Text from the readme:

GP2X Tracker 0.1.0
-----------------------

This is the first release of a bit of a hack to
David Olofson's DT-42 DrumToy code, which is released
under the GPL. All of his docs are in the 'doc' dir
that was distributed along with this.

His website page for that is: http://olofson.net/mixed.html

My modified source is in src.zip in the archive you're reading
this from.

This port was done by critical (criticalhippo@gmail.com)

Instructions
------------

Put the files onto your SD card in the same directory
(you don't need the doc dir, or src.zip).

The buttons to use whilst running it are:

Joystick Left/Right - Prev/Next step
L/R - Prev/Next bar
Joystick Up/Down - Prev/next track
Start - Start/Stop playing toggle
A - Record/Edit
Y - Loop mode toggle
X - Delete note under cursor
B - Add note at volume 7
Select - Exit

A lot needs to be done to make this more usable, but it's not a bad base.

Yes you are the best :D the music come to the GP2x and an tracker is the best for this ;)

nickspoon posted on Mar 27 2006 at 06:35 PM said:
You really will need to slow down, Critical. You're leaving nothing for the rest of us to port :)
There's absolutely loads of development work to be done. If anyone's at a loose end, please take this over and turn it into a full tracker. I could give you a long list of things I want to write, and there just isn't time to do it all. My main problem is that I get very easily excited by new projects before I've finished the previous ones. My only long-term commitment is uae4all... other stuff I'll probably just work on every now and then, and if anyone else wants to grab them, I'd be delighted to help hand over to them :)

Last edited by a moderator:
you're right virus! :lol:

critical has shown us the way, now we've to find an coder interested in electronic music! the gp2x has so much potential for music-dj-ing!

demether posted on Mar 27 2006 at 08:21 PM said:
you're right virus! :lol:

critical has shown us the way, now we've to find an coder interested in electronic music! the gp2x has so much potential for music-dj-ing!
Well, M-.-n (not the easiest username to remember) will be releasing his LittleGPTracker at some stage, so maybe he'll be bringing out more goodies after that.

The source base I used for this is very easy to pick up. A lot of the keys that don't map easily to an existing button can have their functionality handled by a pop-up menu, load and save dialogs can be added, and the file format's just simple plain text.

I won't abandon this if no-one takes it on, but I probably won't develop it as fast as someone dedicated to the task would.

it was just about time to make you a guru, critical. You really deserve that status. I think you are one of the guys who make me love my gp2x since you are improving the community experience for us all constantly and with an ambition that makes me proud to be part of this. even if i am only a consumer at the moment...

looks crizzy, will have to check it out as soon as i've got my gp2x booting again! hee-haw

till then i'm rocking piggy on my gp32 and lsdj on my gbasp

i'm all for more music apps but it's going to be hard to beat the interface used by those two ... it's designed from the ground up to be used with a directional pad and a few buttons, fastest music editors i've used!

are there any .wav editors that would be easy to port? ho hum.

anyway ... BIG UPS CRITICAL!!!

critical posted on Mar 27 2006 at 08:35 PM said:
Well, M-.-n (not the easiest username to remember) will be releasing his LittleGPTracker at some stage, so maybe he'll be bringing out more goodies after that.

The source base I used for this is very easy to pick up. A lot of the keys that don't map easily to an existing button can have their functionality handled by a pop-up menu, load and save dialogs can be added, and the file format's just simple plain text.

I won't abandon this if no-one takes it on, but I probably won't develop it as fast as someone dedicated to the task would.

Yeah, LittleGPTracker looks promising but I really like your ideas in Gp2x Tracker : Sample per track, gui design).
Just add pitch shifting, note off, volume and pan control, trigger and it's almost perfect.

I wish I could program :( .

EDIT : an Offset option would be great too :)

an idea for your tracker base Critical:

perhaps naviguate on the track with L and R could be easiest and more precise than with the joystick...in fact, on my first try, instinctively I tried to go left and right with the L and R triggers.

just an idea for you and the others ;)

edit: an other idea: make a "shift combination" (for example, L+A or Y or B orX) to easy mute assigned tracks for live session!

thank you

dimitri

Critical

First of all, thanks for working on this. I know it's just a taster, but it hints at great things to come. I imagine it must also be quite rewarding to work on something so creative.

I gave it a test run, it's delightful. I was an alpha tester on a tracker project in the early 90s, and this has made me really nostalgic. I honestly don't know the level of feedback you want on it, but if you're going to work further on it, please let me know, and I'll break it down for you.

Cheers

IS this anything like Fruity Loops? I am more into arranging music, than trying to play it on the fly.

TheFr00n posted on Mar 30 2006 at 09:34 AM said:
Critical

First of all, thanks for working on this. I know it's just a taster, but it hints at great things to come. I imagine it must also be quite rewarding to work on something so creative.

I gave it a test run, it's delightful. I was an alpha tester on a tracker project in the early 90s, and this has made me really nostalgic. I honestly don't know the level of feedback you want on it, but if you're going to work further on it, please let me know, and I'll break it down for you.
I'm a bit short of time at the moment, I'm afraid, and was hoping to hand it over to someone else as a project. It's ripe for development :)

If no-one else does anything with it, I may get around to it, but my TODO list is stupidly long on other projects too!

Back