Uae4all Amiga Emulator Port To Gp2x

This is amazing stuff. The sound wasn't as painful as it seemed apparentally.
We just need a miracle speedboost and we are away :)

Interesting I tested Agony and got weird results. It will run at throttle 20 but crashes at throttle 0! I added my results to the Wiki. Oh, and there is an insane bug where your fire is absorbed by the enemies but fails to kill them! Either that or they take shedloads to kill :D The sound ran pretty well though, even at 200 clock.

Iorgy77 posted on Feb 17 2006 at 04:37 PM said:
I just downgraded my gp2x to 1.2.1 so I could try it with overclocking (could not get any of the overclocking scripts working with UAE4ALL).

Just played turrican @275mHz with sound... sound is almost perfect with what looks like frameskip 2 or 3 on the auto frameskip... this is amazing.

If you had a black screen with overcloked scripts it's may be because you don't use full path to launch the application.

usually we use these Kind of script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpu 0 2 266
./uau4all.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

using this code, all i had was a black screen. so instead of ./uae4all i put /mnt/sd/ueal4all/uae4all.gpe so the script looked like that:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 0 2 266
/mnt/sd/uae4all/uau4all.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

And now it works, just check if cpu_speed has the extension gpe or not.

Bye

Herc. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
hercule18 posted on Feb 19 2006 at 01:00 PM said:
If you had a black screen with overcloked scripts it's may be because you don't use full path to launch the application.
Thanks for that, herc. Our friends on the Spanish forum have run into that issue, I think, so I posted your advice. I haven't upgraded to 1.4 yet, so this is all new to me. I hope to add overclocking support internally to uae4all soon, which should hopefully avoid this issue.

Wow...I'm really impressed with how this one is progessing. I really didn't think we'd have this level of Amiga emulation so early on in the GP2X's life. Great work Critical, keep it up and there's another donation coming your way :)

Quite an accomplishment! I tried a plethera of games with sound, and none of them are really what I'd call "playable" yet (that $50 is still waiting) - but its getting close!

We need a means to flip kickstart images on fly in the GUI - sounds minor, but we need it for playing some workbench games that require 2.0+. I'll test later whether UAE4ALL will even USE the advanced kickstarts of it 1.3 is the limit.

critical posted on Feb 19 2006 at 04:17 PM said:
hercule18 posted on Feb 19 2006 at 01:00 PM said:
Thanks for that, herc. Our friends on the Spanish forum have run into that issue, I think, so I posted your advice. I haven't upgraded to 1.4 yet, so this is all new to me. I hope to add overclocking support internally to uae4all soon, which should hopefully avoid this issue.

Hi,

one more tips,

for those who tested my tips, you may be noted the screen was very flickery when you leave the emu

to avoid this problem use these settings:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 1 -2 266
/mnt/sd/uae4all/uau4all.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

It for me the finest settings in game and the screen does not longer flicker when you leave the emu.

bye

Herc. :ph34r:

gaterooze posted on Feb 19 2006 at 11:29 AM said:
Now, why has critical not been made a Guru yet? :D

Just browsing the wiki is mouth-watering!

That is a very good question lol. The speed in which this emu has improved has been amazing. :D

hercule18 posted on Feb 19 2006 at 09:42 PM said:
It for me the finest settings in game and the screen does not longer flicker when you leave the emu.
Thanks again. I've added your thoughts and example code to the wiki... I might update my gp2x to the 1.4 firmware tomorrow and try out your suggestion.

I tested Kickstart 1.1 and 2.0 on UAE4ALL, and they both appear to work. Archon (which I suspect needs 1.1) still doesn't work - but many games that are dependant on the 2.0+ library (like Ork Attack and my own Psycho Square series) work fine with KS2.0.

So, how about that selector? :)

I would say increasing speed and compatibility would be the top priority before kickstart selectors or overclock options. Compatibility and speed may be dependant on the original code from the dreamcast version. Looking on Chui's forum looks like a new version may be released soon. :)

Shane R. Monroe posted on Feb 20 2006 at 02:55 AM said:
True, but compatibilty on the Amiga often hinges on Kickstart versionion :)

Well I was referring to the emulators compatibility which I am sure is pretty close to the dreamcast version by now. A kickstart selection option wouldn't be a bad thing, but there are ways around it at the moment. I just think any tweaks to speed and emulation would be better than fancy frontend options at this point in time. Especially since by your own definition this emulator is not in a "playable" state.

/me fires up a game of Buggy Boy, hmm seems plenty playable to me. :)

I meant "playable with sound". I'm dying to play some Mean Arenas at a good, non-choppy speed.

RAINBOW ZONE ... COMIN' UP ...

gaterooze posted on Feb 19 2006 at 11:29 AM said:
Now, why has critical not been made a Guru yet? :D

Just browsing the wiki is mouth-watering!
Well not meaning to be rude but all critical did was port it which is practically no work compared to the huge effort chui put in to make the thing in the first place

chris_r posted on Feb 20 2006 at 06:32 AM said:
Well not meaning to be rude but all critical did was port it which is practically no work compared to the huge effort chui put in to make the thing in the first place
Bernd Schmidt wrote UAE with the help of others (including Bernd Lachner who added SDL support). Other contributors include: Alessandro Bissacco, Hannu Rummukainen, Andre Beck, Ed Hanway, Denis Sablic, Marcus Sundberg, Samuel Devulder, Stefan Reinauer, Marco Nelissen, Thierry Lescot, Bruno Coste, Oliver Moehrke, Per Olofssen, Tristan Cavelier, Ruben Martinez, Olivier Raoul, Markus Gietzen, Christian Schmitt, Herman ten Brugge, Tauno Taipaleenmaki, Michael Krause, Kai Kollmorgen, Stefan Ropke, Joanne Dow, Rodney Hester, Volker Zota, David Varley, Christian Schmitt, Brian King, Samuel Mackrill, Dirk Vangestel, Thorsten Frueauf, Ernesto Corvi, Gustavo Goedert, Peter Remmers, Tim Gunn, Nemo Pohle, Michael Sontheimer, Christian Bauer, Patrick Hanevold, Ian Stephenson, Olaf 'Olsen' Barthel, Krister Bergman, Manfred Thole, Paul Kienitz, Mathias Ortmann, Peter Teichmann.

From my brief look at the CPU code, the one in squidge's port (which was based on E-UAE, according to squidge), is pretty much the same as the one that uae4all is using.

uae4all seems to differ mainly in the front end menu, the virtual keyboard (which I quite like), and the support for the FAME asm core (which isn't for ARM processors, before anyone asks). It also has some graphics and sound optimisations, and has had some features removed (unless they we're emulated when the code was ported from e-uae), and changed (in the case of disk access). I don't know vast amounts about the history of UAE, but that's what I believe is the state of it all.

I've stated on many occasions that it's largely the work of others.

BTW, if you're not meaning to be rude, then I'd suggest you refrain from commenting about how much work I have or haven't done compared to someone else's efforts. It's not very encouraging, really.

I'm just trying to make this work better on the gp2x.

chris_r said:

Mate, that's the sort of crap you'd expect from whiny kids on a PSP forum. If it was "practically no work" then why don't you do it yourself?

The vast majority of handheld emulators are "just ports," but it is certainly NOT an easy matter to do it well. These excellent devs should be given all the support we can.

So thanks again, critical. Your efforts are MUCH appreciated.

You must have been sitting on your head when writing this. It is rude no matter if you say you don't want to be rude or not.
Porting is quite a wide term. It can only mean recompiling the already finished source code for a different platform with only a little word (I guess some simple SDL games can be ported this way) to adding various stuff to the ported app to using the ported source only as a base and build on top of it.
My guess is that critical's excellent UAE4ALL port is somewhere between the second and third mentioned, which means he has to make a lot of efforts to make the emu work on the GP2X at a reasonable speed and he has been doing it very nicely so far.
Even if he only ported it and published it for others to use it for free means he cares about the community and its well-being and should be appreciated if not appraised.
I hope your sharp, ungrateful tongue did not discourage critical to the point that he will have no fun working on it anymore...

EDIT: And for chui, I am sure it took a lot of work to create the emu, but what use would be giving chui a guru status when he does not care about GP2X and its community? Critical is here and deserves just this particular guru status.

Back