Tiny Pyra Prototype video

ACHTUNG!

ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENPEEPERS!

DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN! ODERWISE IST EASY TO SCHNAPPEN DER SPRINGENWERK, BLOWENFUSEN UND POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKEN.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.

ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.

(see also: http://jargon-file.org/jargon-html/html/B/blinkenlights.html)
Sounds somehow familiar but also so unknown.  :lol:  Yes, I'm german, no,  I don't understand what's written there.  ^_^

Of course you can change the brightness :)
This seems to be needed, these LED's can be very bright indeed.  And because they look blue in the camera, I guess they are actualy white for the Keyboard, right?

More questions about that debug cpu board your using - those micro SD slots with on card inserted; is it booting off that?  Does the slot on the peripheral board work?  Or the eMMC for that matter?

Also, I guess the peripheral boards power circuitry still has to be tested, as you're bypassing that by powering the CPU board directly.  But I suppose that might need a battery present to test properly.

But even if none of that has been tested, getting the kernel to boot properly enough to run a blinkenlights demo is awesome work.

And on that dummy CPU board, the CPU appears to be on the same side of the board as the connectors to the peripheral board, such that when it's mounted it's hidden between the CPU board and the peripheral board.  Is that the plan for the real board too?  Wouldn't that make attaching the metal to form a sort of heat sink (if at all needed) more tricky?

More questions about that debug cpu board your using - those micro SD slots with on card inserted; is it booting off that?  Does the slot on the peripheral board work?  Or the eMMC for that matter?

Also, I guess the peripheral boards power circuitry still has to be tested, as you're bypassing that by powering the CPU board directly.  But I suppose that might need a battery present to test properly.

But even if none of that has been tested, getting the kernel to boot properly enough to run a blinkenlights demo is awesome work.

And on that dummy CPU board, the CPU appears to be on the same side of the board as the connectors to the peripheral board, such that when it's mounted it's hidden between the CPU board and the peripheral board.  Is that the plan for the real board too?  Wouldn't that make attaching the metal to form a sort of heat sink (if at all needed) more tricky?
I suspect that the two microSD slots on the back side of the SoC card may have other purposes.  If you think about it, there is no reason why the SoC card would have to be limited to the Pyra application.  It could just as easily run a set top box, a systems automation (robotics) or a drone or other.

My guess would be that the SoC boards  used in actual Pyras will simply not have the microSD slots on the SoC board populated.

Getting closer to pre-order...  Delivery might still be a ways out with case molds, component lead times, etc...  But wow - that is great progress!

I suspect that the two microSD slots on the back side of the SoC card may have other purposes.  If you think about it, there is no reason why the SoC card would have to be limited to the Pyra application.  It could just as easily run a set top box, a systems automation (robotics) or a drone or other.
The uSD cards are only for development and debug purposes, I asked Nikolaus about them directly:  https://twitter.com/goldelico/status/638360420143767552

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't discount what Grench said. You asked two questions and only got one answer. :p

This is supposed to be the "final" layout (pending tweaks and bug fixes) which suggests that the traces are going to be there, they just won't be populated. Unless it isn't the final layout and these traces are going to be removed from the FINAL final board, but that means another round of tests (without the debug stuff) before production.

There's no cost to having them unless removing them reduces the number of layers required, so it would make sense to me that they stay: used for debugging for now, maybe more in the future.

That doesn't discount what Grench said. You asked two questions and only got one answer. :p

This is supposed to be the "final" layout (pending tweaks and bug fixes) which suggests that the traces are going to be there, they just won't be populated. Unless it isn't the final layout and these traces are going to be removed from the FINAL final board, but that means another round of tests (without the debug stuff) before production.

There's no cost to having them unless removing them reduces the number of layers required, so it would make sense to me that they stay: used for debugging for now, maybe more in the future.
I may be totally off here, but it looks like everything on that top layer is for the debug stuff, I could see were it may be possible to just remove that layer from the production version with minimal change to rest of the layers.

That could be true too. It doesn't really matter but I'd be interested in a non-ambiguous answer.

ACHTUNG!

DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN! ODERWISE IST EASY TO SCHNAPPEN DER SPRINGENWERK, BLOWENFUSEN UND POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKEN.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.

Sounds somehow familiar but also so unknown.  :lol:  Yes, I'm german, no,  I don't understand what's written there.  ^_^
That's probably because it's almost entirely in English.  It's just bastardised to all hell and dressed up as German :)

-Neelix

EDIT: Try reading it aloud ;)

Hmmmm abusing the backlight LEDs as a game mechanic?
I like that idea. Instantly got the image of flickering lights inside and a flickering backlight outside a game when I read that.

I suppose it'd be too expensive, but will it be possible to control the backlight of each key separately?

It's either a Pyra or a Thermal Camera at this point. Tough decision but it seems like I have some time to make up my mind!

242845880_165161.gif

ACHTUNG!

As Neelix said, it is English.  There is a "translation" somewhere.

ACHTUNG!

That's probably because it's almost entirely in English.  It's just bastardised to all hell and dressed up as German :)

-Neelix

EDIT: Try reading it aloud ;)
Read it aloud, phonetically as if you were an American actor in a bad 1950s war movie.

More information here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinkenlights

It existed back in the days of the fax machine - prior to these fancy interwebs.

I've said it before - the first, "Developed exclusively for Pyra" game could very well be a Simon-like keyboard masher using the keyboard backlights.  Heck, you could include the game pad area, both nubs (based on the two case lights), multiple sections of the touch screen and even the shoulders (lid lights).  It could easily be 10+ 'sections' for that kind of memory game.

I could also see incorporating them into FPS games.  The KB backlights 'flash' in the direction the main character is taking damage from.

A guitar-hero style game would work too.  For that matter, the Pyra could become a handheld electronic drum kit.

How about telephone 'ring lights' where the LEDs (sections and individuals) all go into strobe/race mode?

Regardless - I can see that there will be additional fun to be had just with the Pyra specific hardware.

Hmmmm abusing the backlight LEDs as a game mechanic?
I like that idea. Instantly got the image of flickering lights inside and a flickering backlight outside a game when I read that.

I suppose it'd be too expensive, but will it be possible to control the backlight of each key separately?
No, because there aren't individual backlights for each key.   The backlight LEDs are placed at regular intervals around the board and light up all the keys around them.

-Neelix

I can't find the "translation", so I will provide one (feel free to correct me).

ATTENTION!

All tourists and non-technician lookenpeepers!

This (or the) computer machine is not for finger poking and mitten grabbing!  Otherwise it's easy to snap the springwork, blowing fuses and popping cork (???) spitting sparks.

It's not for working by dumbheads(?).  The rubbernecking sightseers keep the cottonpicking hands in the pockets (???).

So relax and watch the blinking lights (blinkenlights).

Edit: 
Google says dummkopfen = stupid heads, which I like better (but when I first read this I thought it said "dumbf***s", perhaps because of my own experiences and feelings for people messing with things they don't understand).

I read it as:

Warning:

All nosey tourists and non-technicians!

This computing machine is not for finger-poking and mitten-grabbing! Otherwise it is easy to snap the springwork, blow fuses and pop corks with showers of sparks.

It is not for operation by idiots. Rubber-necked sightseers must keep thier cotton-picking hands in thier pockets.

So relax, and watch the blinking lights.

Back