Thought of the day...

Yes, redshift as a term is only a general term to give you the gist of what they're doing. They're actually measuring things based on the spectral lines of hydrogen, which are well known as wavelengths, but I don't even know if any of them are actually in the visible frequencies. They see spectal lines coming out of these distant stars that are burning bydrogen that look like hydrogen, just shifted right a bit (if your x axis is wavelengths, as is commonly seems to be in this field), but I guess rightshift wasn't as catchy a term as redshift.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter whether the space between us and distant galaxies is expanding, or the galaxies are all heading away from us. It's the same situation when you think it through.

Edit: Regarding multiverses, most people discussing them think of them as extra dimensions, I think. In terms of 3d they're all in the same place, but in terms of one of the extra dimensions they're just right and up a bit from where we are. They could be out there in the 3d universe, just past the region we can see, but it's harder to think through if you think like that. Most of the people I'm thinking of at least are using multiverses to capture quantum uncertainty though, mind you, probably other people think of them in different ways for different purposes.

I'm not actually sure of the scale of the background radiation, but I think that all the stars we can see haven't redshifted that far. There's also a hard limit due to the speed of light, we can only see light that's been able to reach us so far which is a big sphere and hasn't hit the edge of the universe yet, so we tend to think there's a lot more out there that we simply can't ever know about in our lifetimes anyway. And the thought is that at present, the universe, or the space in it is expanding at an ever increasing rate, so some distant galaxies are currently rushing away from us so fast that the light from them will never reach us.

Last edited:
I've seen some info about redshift pass me by yesterday. The theory was, that the expansion of space, expands the wavelength of light traveling through it- along with it.
The example was about a far away universe that once transmitted blue light which traveled along with the expansion of space towards us, eventually shifted towards red, because of the co-expanding of the wave length of the light.
You mean galaxy.

Now my own train of thought (once again)... If- the furthest galaxies have shifted to red because of said theory, wouldn't the light of even further galaxies or even other big-bangs,
What other big bangs? The one is supposed to be the beginning of everything physical, including time and space.

I'm not actually sure of the scale of the background radiation, but I think that all the stars we can see haven't redshifted that far. There's also a hard limit due to the speed of light, we can only see light that's been able to reach us so far which is a big sphere and hasn't hit the edge of the universe yet, so we tend to think there's a lot more out there that we simply can't ever know about in our lifetimes anyway. And the thought is that at present, the universe, or the space in it is expanding at an ever increasing rate, so some distant galaxies are currently rushing away from us so fast that the light from them will never reach us.

And the speed is increasing even... mind boggling all of this... Buyes, you are right... We're too far off and too insignificant anyway ;)

You mean galaxy.
Yes, you are right, Galaxy :)

What other big bangs? The one is supposed to be the beginning of everything physical, including time and space.

That's the theory, the total energy in space is 0 where there's as much positive as there is negative energy and because of some freak occurrence, the 0 energy split into billions of K Joules of positive and negative energy. The big bang.
But why couldn't the big bang, or a likewise explosion of matter be an occurrence that happens all the time, just too far out to notice? Maybe matter expands and contracts in a cycle?

But why couldn't the big bang, or a likewise explosion of matter be an occurrence that happens all the time, just too far out to notice?
The Big Bang didn't produce matter, but energy and time and space, and according to some theories some more dimensions. It's the starting point of the whole universe, physically everything. For anything else you should use a new name. It quickly gets confusing, if not.
If you're talking about the Big Bang, what's far supposed to mean outside of time and space?

Not sure where else to put this, but I recently went down a wormhole of looking at "deep dive fractals" and there are some amazing related videos:

Last edited:
Two thoughts today:

Apparently, while individuals may be highly offended when others eat noisily, animals eating noisily causes relatively little upset:

Also, no matter how many times I say it, pressing harder on the keyboard or smashing keys does nothing to address the unresponsive application.

And finally - I have no thoughts to share on this one:
Post automatically merged:

Everything tastes better from the Pyra Mug ^^

I can attest to that, although my wife doesn't like it. She says it's too small and top-heavy. I like it that way.

Two thoughts today:

Apparently, while individuals may be highly offended when others eat noisily, animals eating noisily causes relatively little upset:
“Misophonia” = the fear of the sound of seaweed* soup? :oops: xD

*+ fish flakes + soybean

Apparently, while individuals may be highly offended when others eat noisily
This is likely to be cultural. From my experience in China/Hong-Kong, people do not care about that (at least for basic meals, it might be different in fancy restaurants). In some cases eating noisily is even a sign of appreciation.

This is likely to be cultural. From my experience in China/Hong-Kong, people do not care about that (at least for basic meals, it might be different in fancy restaurants). In some cases eating noisily is even a sign of appreciation.

Absolutely. It used to irritate me, but recently less so. My wife is Japanese, and in their culture it is quite normal to slurp while eating (noodles), and probably a little strange if you don't. Took me a while to learn, but now I slurp noodles like a pro. My partner, on the other hand, now eats silently. Go figure.

l31zesl6u7e51.jpg

And finally - I have no thoughts to share on this one:
Some male spiders or insect bring food for the female, so that she can have something else than him to eat after mating.
There are also some fun cheating mechanisms, like male spiders wrapping very little food in a lot of silk to give the impression that he's bringing a lot of food (and so that the female takes more time unwrapping the gift, giving him more time to get away), or male spiders stealing the gifts from other males, etc.

Since you "taste" the aroma of what you eat with your nose and not your mouth, having your mouth not shut while eating helps with that by letting the air move more freely.
So everyone trying to forbid you to eat noisily is an ass that doesn't want you to enjoy yourself.

Back