The Wiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see they stuck with that retarded dual d-pad setup. Honestly, what were they thinking? Either way, could be a good alternative to Pandora for those who care only about gaming and didn't think the GP2x had enough kick.

I do find it kinda funny that the GP2x successor will be coming out before Pandora. :lol:

MagicPants said:
Does the flash 7.0 support on the WIZ mean anything for the Pandora?

Or is that a closed part of an open(ish) platform?
I believe that a player has been licensed from a company so it's not an open source implementation.

CronoTriggerfan said:
I see they stuck with that retarded dual d-pad setup. Honestly, what were they thinking? Either way, could be a good alternative to Pandora for those who care only about gaming and didn't think the GP2x had enough kick.

I do find it kinda funny that the GP2x successor will be coming out before Pandora. :lol:
One, this material was likely completed a while ago so they may well have made design changes since this.

Two, how is it funny?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think it looks kind of neat (sleek, with a good videogame look), but a big thumbs down on the dual d-pad situation. Why not just use four SNES style buttons and then place a second nub, d-pad, analog somewhere else. Hmmm......

How do the Wiz and Pandora stack-up in regards to horsepower?

I like the design. I don't agree with the second D-pad but that is certainly the only fault I can find with the Wiz.

The Pandora will likely outperform the Wiz as it simply has more horsepower but that doesn't mean the Wiz won't be capable of some pretty nice things.

My Gp2x is awesome.

As a MAME machine in my living room. But as a portable handheld gaming device? I found it was cool, but...

I love the idea of the pandora because of the clamshell, the bigger screen, the full Qwerty keyboard, and the wireless. Oh, and the amazingly powerful 3d graphics its packing.

And the Wiz is a smaller GP2X, with none of the above.

Is a shame it'll be here before the Pandora though, stupid setbacks!

Peter R said:
I like the design. I don't agree with the second D-pad but that is certainly the only fault I can find with the Wiz.

The Pandora will likely outperform the Wiz as it simply has more horsepower but that doesn't mean the Wiz won't be capable of some pretty nice things.
Don't get me wrong, the hardware of the Wiz looks sweet, but don't you think their being NO face buttons on the damn thing as kind of a big problem? Unless you really, REALLY like old FPS games. :lol:

And I don't think funny was a good word, perhaps apropos would be better; it's just odd to think that, looking back at the Pandora's history, the devs were talking about shipping the first batch only a few months after the F-200 launch. Now, it looks like GPH will manage to eek out their next-generation handheld before Pandora even has a concrete release date.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Peter R said:

Don't get me wrong, the hardware of the Wiz looks sweet, but don't you think their being NO face buttons on the damn thing as kind of a big problem? Unless you really, REALLY like old FPS games. :lol:

Course i do as I stated above. However, that's not an absolute deal breaker for me :)

They sure have nice box designers ;)

And if it wasn't for the Pandora, I would definitly think it doesn't sound too bad (any idea on the price point?).

Yet the lack of buttons does seem pretty strange (would have to actually try to play games on it though).

Actually, I feel pretty upbeat about the Wiz.

It's somewhere between a GBA Micro and JXD-301 in form factor, which are both really nice pocketable systems.

The OLED screen should be really bright and clear - and it's a touchscreen too, so DS-like stylus games should be quite nice to play (it's like a DS without the lid, really).

I think this'll be a good compliment to the Pandora to keep in your pocket for quick games when you're waiting for a bus (or whatever) and for listening to music when you're out and about.

I wouldn't expect this to be competition to something like the Pandora. Everyone loved their GP2X's even me, and i'm thinking of buying this in respect to the Gp2x and to compare with Pandora when i buy it as well.

As somebody mentioned elsewhere on this forum, the right-hand D-Pad looks like a rubber surface with maybe click-buttons underneath. If you look carefully it does appear to be more matte than the glossy left D-Pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back