The Wiz Gets Proper Buttons And A 3.5mm Headphone Jack

Jaguarandine said:
Unless the GPU defies everyone's expectatins and turns out to be amazingly powerful, the Wiz will NEVER be able to do a DC emulator. The only handheld with even a remote possibility of running it at playable speeds is the Pandora.
No FPU = no Dreamcast emulation

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad they fixed the D-Pad - that was a really silly design. And, I'm glad they fixed the 2.5 headphone jack. Good job ED, and thanks GPH.

Okay - that doesn't make this device perfect, or close. I've read the multiple pages of complaints about the lack of USB host - and that change could - at least in theory - solve many of the complaints I still have about it - but not in the best way possible.

The main problem I still have with it is - no Analog stick! They have a very powerful CPU and an unnamed 3D accelerator - but what good does that do without an analog stick? The lack of that control also (significantly) limits what systems it can emulate. No N64, no PS1, no PSP, no Saturn... And even homebrew games are going to be limited by this - how can you do a FPS without an analog stick?

My next complaint is the lack of WiFi. Both the PSP and the DS have WiFi. The Pandora has WiFi. That really would open up a lot of possibilities (as has already been mentioned) - both gaming and non-gaming possibilities.

Now, with a USB host port - you could potentially add those things externally. But, it would be much better if they were built in.

For almost $200 - those things are pretty much needed. If this was a $99 system, I could forgive the lack of WiFi (the analog stick is just stupid not to include) - but not a $180 one.

No Wiz for me. At least not one for $180 - I might get a used one sometime in the future. I've learned not to expect a price drop from GPH - so I won't be waiting for that.

Exophase said:
No FPU = no Dreamcast emulation
No analog stick = no Dreamcast emulation

All I can say is, thank you GPH. As cool as the Pandora looks I'll never be able to justify the cost but the Wiz is possibly in the realm of reality. I love my GP2X but the Wiz looks like it will just build on what I already liked. And, just my opinion, WiFi Shmi-Fi.

nubie said:
earx said:
fantastic! i'm excited now. ideal for oldschool gaming, extremely portable, even some 3D capabilities, and relatively cheap. this thing will *rock*!

the EXT port still has me puzzled. it's great that it's a samsung external port, but.. what can it do except for USB? will TV/VGA-out still be an option?
Sadly this info is unavailable. I wish GPH would just be up front about the capabilities of the device.

You are trying to make out GPH are bad again. They are not refusing to be upfront and talking without actually answering questions as Craig seems to do sometimes ;). They are just not talking at all so you can complain about that but they are listening as they have proved. However, they are a company and will do what is best for them. There IS cost effectiveness to consider here.

icurafu said:
Cost, size, screen quality, early software.

Some very important features if you are looking for a small, cheap device with a bright screen and a bunch of software already available.

Well, I can understand most of these points. But I'm planning to get a Pandora either way. So for me it's more of a question whether the Wiz gets obsolete if you already have a Pandora or provides some exclusive features. The second D-pad (and some new software making use of it) might have been one of the few strong arguements for buying the Wiz on top of the Pandora.

The most interesting point for me is currently the software. I really wonder whether there will be enough Pandora supporters who port all the old GP2X stuff when they could just recompile it and run it on the Wiz instead. With the Wiz in mind I still wonder how some games will survive the screen shrinking, I heard the GBA Micro can handle GBA games quite well and without any porting. In the end it might really be more about resolution and stuff than about mere size.

Not all ps1 games use a dual analog setup. In fact I never had a dual shock controller for the ps1 and I successfully played through a half a dozen games. My point is that there is a sizable library of older/other reason games that don't require dual shock controllers. And I don't have any idea about the control scheme on n64 (won't run anyway) or saturn, but I suppose the same applies.

craigix said:
http://gbax.gp2x.de/ - several hundred homebrew games produced with thousands of pounds worth of prizes given out over the years across loads of systems, including systems I don't even sell.

Numerous GP32 and GP2X consoles donated to people from this scene (and other scenes) for all kinds of projects, not just emulators as you claim, something which will continue with the Pandora.

We also did things such as manufactured a replacement cap for the F100 and gave it away free with the F100 (cost: $7,000) when GPH just ignored us.

Then at the end of this I make homebrew games and utils myself!

Ye nut!

Zing!

chad78 said:
I've read the multiple pages of complaints about the lack of USB host
All by the same person.

chad78 said:
The main problem I still have with it is - no Analog stick! They have a very powerful CPU and an unnamed 3D accelerator - but what good does that do without an analog stick?
Yeah, what good is a 533MHz CPU and 3D accelerator without an analog stick?

chad78 said:
The lack of that control also (significantly) limits what systems it can emulate.
I wonder...

chad78 said:
It'd probably have a hard time doing N64 w/o an FPU anyway. Be that as it may, I've emulated several of the relatively few popular N64 games (Mario 64, Zelda OoT, F-Zero X) without an analog stick quite successfully.

chad78 said:
There is exactly one PS1 game that requires analog. I've never owned a dualshock and have played several PS1 games fine w/o it, both on the real thing and on emulators.

chad78 said:
It's not even close to powerful enough to emulate PSP.

chad78 said:
, no Saturn
It's probably not powerful enough to emulate Saturn either, but yet again Saturn's main pad had no analog and I know of exactly one game that requires it.

chad78 said:
... And even homebrew games are going to be limited by this - how can you do a FPS without an analog stick?
Were you unaware that it has a touchscreen?

chad78 said:
My next complaint is the lack of WiFi. Both the PSP and the DS have WiFi. The Pandora has WiFi. That really would open up a lot of possibilities (as has already been mentioned) - both gaming and non-gaming possibilities.
Non-gaming possibilities - too low resolution to use for most things internet related, much less web browsing.
Gaming possibilities - too few people are going to own them for you to go wifi gaming with.

chad78 said:
For almost $200 - those things are pretty much needed. If this was a $99 system, I could forgive the lack of WiFi (the analog stick is just stupid not to include) - but not a $180 one.
Why do you determine what's "required"? GP2X was $180. This is $180. This is much better than GP2X. GP2X sold fine, and a lot of people were bummed that it was discontinued and a lot of people also said they wanted a smaller, somewhat more powerful version with some other fixes - enter Wiz.

chad78 said:
No Wiz for me. At least not one for $180 - I might get a used one sometime in the future. I've learned not to expect a price drop from GPH - so I won't be waiting for that.
Here's hoping you don't get one ;P

chad78 said:
No analog stick = no Dreamcast emulation
Mine trumps yours by about 1000 times.

Now I don't want to hear another word out of your mouth about how Wiz is deprived of being able to emulate platforms that it's FAR too weak to emulate all because it lacks an analog stick.

I mean it.

If I see you do it again I'm going to tear you apart.

@ Chad, Analogue controlers are not needed for any of those systems you mention for most games to be playable (just look at NDS - No Analogues and N64 ports are available on that with a d-pad only)

On a side note; Noticed a lot of people on this and other threads showing their surprise at GPH actually listening and amending their design. Must be a lot of short memories out there considering the amount of changes they made to the GP2X after taking on board loads of community ideas before the F-100 first edition was released.

x68000 said:
On a side note; Noticed a lot of people on this and other threads showing their surprise at GPH actually listening and amending their design. Must be a lot of short memories out there considering the amount of changes they made to the GP2X after taking on board loads of community ideas before the F-100 first edition was released.
While that certainly is worth mentioning, a lot of the community's ideas and error fixes were not included until the later MK2 and F200 models, which doesn't have much meaning to those who already bought their units before that.

Here's hoping that GPH will iron out all hardware and firmware problems before the launch, to avoid having to release a Wiz MK2 5 months later

"SunSpire"

Potential problems aside, this looks like it'll be a pretty nice little system.

It will, however, be a pretty nice little system that, unless Pandora fails utterly, I won't have the fortune to own. Like many (I suspect) I'd love both, but don't have the cash, so I'll stick with the one that better suits my needs.

Fingers crossed GPH learns from the problems with the GP2x and doesn't make them this time. If they don't (and to some extent, even if they do), they'll have a nice little system on their hands.

The most interesting point for me is currently the software. I really wonder whether there will be enough Pandora supporters who port all the old GP2X stuff when they could just recompile it and run it on the Wiz instead.
I've seen this said a few times.... Pretty much anything that is portable to the Wiz is just as easily portable to the Pandora. The incompatibilities that i can think of:

Both Systems:
1. No 2nd CPU.
2. Different/No Hardware blitter.
3. Different RAM mapping. Not really a huge issue since both systems have more RAM directly available to Linux.
4. Different hardware registers: Presumably anything that directly calls the hardware (minilib etc) will need to be modified.

Wiz:
1. The Wiz doesn't have the vol up/down buttons.

Pandora:
1. The Pandora is 800x480. Solution: render at 400x240 letter-boxed and upscale.

Most of these are minor changes for most of the GP2X software, especially anything that depends on SDL. I dont think its anything to worry about on either system.

Exophase said:
...tirade...
LOLZ :D

Seriously though, PSX is the only system it can emulate that has an analog stick, which is not absolutely necessary to play its games. It will be fine without an analog stick. Everyone should be thrilled it finally has a true d-pad.

Adventus said:
1. The Pandora is 800x480. Solution: render at 400x240 letter-boxed and upscale.
Minor correction: Pandora has a 400x240 mode so you won't need to upscale.

Personally i dont see how one can claim the wiz is cheap, there is only a 50$ difference between it and the pandora.

waffles said:
Personally i dont see how one can claim the wiz is cheap, there is only a 50$ difference between it and the pandora.
$330 - $180 = $150

wow this is great news! been waiting for an excuse to get a gp2x.. this is way better. esp now that they got rid of that ergonomically cursed second d-pad.

The wiz does have vol up/down buttons they are just awkwardly placed on the bottom of the device.
I don't think they're software mappable, but i may be wrong. Either way they're not really useable as buttons.

Minor correction: Pandora has a 400x240 mode so you won't need to upscale.
Yea, the hardware is doing the upscaling automatically. That's what i was referring to, i see i wasn't clear about it.

Adventus said:
Yea, the hardware is doing the upscaling automatically. That's what i was referring to, i see i wasn't clear about it.
Just so we're perfectly clear, the LCD supports 400x240 directly. Meaning that no memory bandwidth is wasted on an 800x480 framebuffer.

Back