A slight change over at GP2x.co.kr

Game_over

Game Developer
I was just looking at the website and it has seem that they adjusted the flash render so it appears to have four separate buttons, (just the d-pad broken up). To confirm changes is checking the spec sheet and noticed they changed the Headphone jack to 3.5mm like they said they would. If the final action button are going to look like that with the raised edges still present, it would be pretty interesting how it works now. What do you think? Evildragon, can you release those pics yet or are they still under NDA?

Game_over said:
I was just looking at the website and it has seem that they adjusted the flash render so it appears to have four separate buttons, (just the d-pad broken up). To confirm changes is checking the spec sheet and noticed they changed the Headphone jack to 3.5mm like they said they would. If the final action button are going to look like that with the raised edges still present, it would be pretty interesting how it works now. What do you think? Evildragon, can you release those pics yet or are they still under NDA?

Link? I don't see the pics, and the url with wiz in the name doesn't seem to be working.

Buttonwiz.jpg

Ehh... better, but it could definitely still be potentially problematic. The fact that the center is recessed still isn't in the best interest of controls, as it seems like rocking your thumb to press buttons would be tougher. Though with these changes, $180 is justifiable.

Sorry I did mean gp2xwiz.co.kr, I just found out ED added the buttons.

Looks like a poor design decision, more like trying to keep the same look so they don't have to change the publicity images :twisted:

All that the WIZ needs is round buttons like the GP2X, it surely can't be that hard to deal with, can it? <_<

"Well, we'd better delay it a month to fix this thing with the second D-Pad."
"Let's just split it into four pieces and change nothing else."
"Problem solved. Let's use the rest of the month as a paid drinking binge."
"Haven't we been doing that already anyway?"
*rimshot*

The initial version with the 2nd dpad works quite well for most things. Splitting it into separate buttons could only have made it better, so quit being negative just for the sake of it.

It's an improvement, but it seems like now it's just less annoying to control...
Oh well, I might give the wiz a try anyway, but certainly not as early adopter.

Alex said:
The initial version with the 2nd dpad works quite well for most things. Splitting it into separate buttons could only have made it better, so quit being negative just for the sake of it.
The only thing the second D-pad wouldn't work for, that I found anyway, was beat2x.

After looking at it for awhile I'm starting to think that they made a pretty wise choice just breaking it up and not giving it round buttons. the raised ends on the buttons may keep your thumb in the area when sliding and doing quick taps. Diagonal presses look like they will be way easier to just tap. It may also be comfortable for games like Descent where they do use a two-handed directional system. If it works correctly in regard to recognition, then this may be a perfect compromise for both sides of the discussion.

Game_over said:
After looking at it for awhile I'm starting to think that they made a pretty wise choice just breaking it up and not giving it round buttons. the raised ends on the buttons may keep your thumb in the area when sliding and doing quick taps. Diagonal presses look like they will be way easier to just tap. It may also be comfortable for games like Descent where they do use a two-handed directional system. If it works correctly in regard to recognition, then this may be a perfect compromise for both sides of the discussion.
It will also work better as the Wiz is far smaller than a GP2x remember. If the buttons were simply circular then they would be very small and possibly too difficult to easily use.

Oh dear....seems like a lot of people were hoping on a complete change i.e circular buttons not just split the dodgy d-pad design up, round buttons are more natural to the touch and having this weird design will only make you keep looking to see if you are pressing the actual right button....i might had picked one up early next year but now I've seen the 'redesign' won't be doing so now....nice one GPH!

Back