The Wiz Gets Proper Buttons And A 3.5mm Headphone Jack

DaveC said:
It is great that they fixed that goofy control scheme. Now if only they put in a decent sized screen that lasts they would have a winner.
Meh, I am nuts enough to connect it to a 5"-7" portable screen with S-video and build it into a system :), assuming the OLED dies. (noticeable color shift is probably accounted for on first usage by the OLED designers, likely it will be fine over a period when it is meant to last. At a bit under $200 it is debatable whether it matters as long as it is better than a PSP for example, which shouldn't be too hard to do.)

pcklee123 said:
Does the 3.5mm jack also include video out or mic in.
The Mic is on the top of the unit, an actual mic, not an input. (There may be another input, I don't know)

I don't know if video is coming from the 3.5mm jack or the EXT, those are the only two jacks on the whole unit. I hope it has S-Video (which would likely mean the EXT port, because a 3.5mm doesn't have enough contacts). I don't know if I could choose between proper Composite support and S-Video if I had too (not that there needs to be a choice, it can likely be done in software.)

Last edited by a moderator:
In itself I consider the return to the 4-button layout a major improvement, but it also leaves me to wonder what sets it apart from the Pandora.

Sure it will be nice to play on the go, but then again the 2.8" screen is probably a bit too small for enjoying GP2X ports and SNES games. I mean, it's even smaller than the DS ones, and playing a scaled down SNES game looked terrible on them. And if I'm going to connect it to a large screen, I could just as well use the Pandora for that...

You can also preorder at GBAX.com and GP2XStore.com.

I seriously doubt that any of those sites (Play-Asia included) would have a different preorder (or cancel existing preorders and start from scratch) just because of the Pad to Buttons switch.

PandraNoHako said:
In itself I consider the return to the 4-button layout a major improvement, but it also leaves me to wonder what sets it apart from the Pandora.

Sure it will be nice to play on the go, but then again the 2.8" screen is probably a bit too small for enjoying GP2X ports and SNES games. I mean, it's even smaller than the DS ones, and playing a scaled down SNES game looked terrible on them. And if I'm going to connect it to a large screen, I could just as well use the Pandora for that...
It's smaller than the Pandora, and much cheaper. Also, the OLED screen means colors are (apparently, I've never used one) brighter, and it looks much better in direct sunlight. I don't know about the screen size issues, but the DS's screens are lower-resolution than the SNES natively output, so I suspect that if SNES games looked terrible on the DS, that has a lot to do with it.

That said, I'll certainly be buying a Pandora, but not the Wiz, at least at launch, because I need the extra features the Pandora has and I haven't the money for both right now. I won't rule out buying the Wiz later on, if it's well-reviewed, though.

PandraNoHako said:

Cost, size, screen quality, early software.

Some very important features if you are looking for a small, cheap device with a bright screen and a bunch of software already available.

Dumb question here. But does this mean that ALL pre-orders will get the version with the 4 buttons and normal headset jack? I do not want to pre-order and get one with 2 d-pads.

Thank you!!

Fueler said:
Dumb question here. But does this mean that ALL pre-orders will get the version with the 4 buttons and normal headset jack? I do not want to pre-order and get one with 2 d-pads.
ED said it would delay production by a month, so yes, definitely, you'll be safe.

Fueler said:

Thank you!!
With the exception of a few units that have been sent to developers for free, there will be NO 2 d-pad Wiz's available... GPH has not sent any shipments to their distributors, and they won't until the unit is ready to sell, which now will be sometime in November because of the short delay caused by the change to 4 buttons.

In other words, you have nothing to worry about. :D

morrissey2k7 said:
With the exception of a few units that have been sent to developers for free, there will be NO 2 d-pad Wiz's available..
Hmm, when you say it like that... It kinda makes me want one... UBER R@RE 2 DIR PAD GP2X0R W1z0R!!!

Great, great news. This makes all the difference. I'll certainly be getting one now.

Thanks for listening GPH, my faith is restored :D

Unless the GPU defies everyone's expectatins and turns out to be amazingly powerful, the Wiz will NEVER be able to do a DC emulator. The only handheld with even a remote possibility of running it at playable speeds is the Pandora.

fantastic! i'm excited now. ideal for oldschool gaming, extremely portable, even some 3D capabilities, and relatively cheap. this thing will *rock*!

the EXT port still has me puzzled. it's great that it's a samsung external port, but.. what can it do except for USB? will TV/VGA-out still be an option?

earx said:
fantastic! i'm excited now. ideal for oldschool gaming, extremely portable, even some 3D capabilities, and relatively cheap. this thing will *rock*!

the EXT port still has me puzzled. it's great that it's a samsung external port, but.. what can it do except for USB? will TV/VGA-out still be an option?
Sadly this info is unavailable. I wish GPH would just be up front about the capabilities of the device.

Back