The Wiz Gets Proper Buttons And A 3.5mm Headphone Jack

Agreed, I wasn't against the principle of the second d-pad, but whenever I pressed down on it, I hit left as well. I think that was actually an alignment issue, but still the pad was rubbish.

Orkie said:
Agreed, I wasn't against the principle of the second d-pad, but whenever I pressed down on it, I hit left as well. I think that was actually an alignment issue, but still the pad was rubbish.
It doesn't sit well with me that, as seemingly the most ardent supporter of the Wiz on here (and one of the few people who had actually used it), you decided not to mention this crucial fact until AFTER the decision was made to remove the second dpad. If they stuck with the original design, this would have been a huge issue, and it should never have been defended.

I hope early users of the Pandora will be honest about issues with that as well, esp. controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
b_o_b said:
They are copying the method of Craigix by sending free units to devs, and trying to get them to support their device.
Craig only rewards emulator authors. GPH have been kind enough to reward homebrew game developers too and for this I love them :p

@ED

I've read all your posts on both boards before and just as I wrote on GP2x.de: I trust your words about the pad, but I want to make my own experience before I judge about something.
I'm not everybody. Perhaps I'm the first person who will like it.
And I don't see the problem. I don't complain here about the change. I just said that I liked the original design. This doesn't mean I will not buy the changed console.
So I'm in a minority here. Ok. Not the first time. I don't like the keyboard of the Pandora. But Do I complain? No, I respect the decision of the dev team and the majority of this forum.
Others here give a pice of shit about that and complain about everything again and again.
So, yes I have the latently feeling I have to justify myself. Too bad...

Action buttons can be used 100% effectively as a dpad if required.

A d-pad cannot be used 100% effectively as action buttons if required.

I figure by that logic alone that the choice to be taken was pretty clear.

sbock said:
@ED

I've read all your posts on both boards before and just as I wrote on GP2x.de: I trust your words about the pad, but I want to make my own experience before I judge about something.
I'm not everybody. Perhaps I'm the first person who will like it.
And I don't see the problem. I don't complain here about the change. I just said that i liked the original design. This doesn't mean I will not buy the changed console.
So I'm in a minority here. Ok. Not the first time. I don't like the keyboard of the Pandora. But Do I complain? No, I respect the decision of the dev team and the majority of this forum.
Others here give a pice of shit about that and complain about everthing again and again.
So, yes I have the latently feeling I have to justify myself. Too bad...
Well, that might be because of misunderstandings.. after all, we're both not native english speakers ;)

That does make a lot more sense now that you explained it. I also basically like the idea having something original... but I'm still happy they changed it, as it simply didn't work out fine.

Last edited:
Peter R said:
Craig only rewards emulator authors. GPH have been kind enough to reward homebrew game developers too and for this I love them :p
I guess you just forgot about all those GBAX.com compos, eh sam? Vektar?

btw while I applaud what GPH are doing, let's get some perspective: GPH are using these homebrew games as actual built-ins for their system -- it's not like they're rewarding you out of the goodness of their hearts, it's a huge boost for their sales promotion. Seems that in reality they are "buying" the rights to do that very cheaply indeed.

GunPei2X said:
Peter R said:
I guess you just forgot about all those GBAX.com compos, eh sam? Vektar?

btw while I applaud what GPH are doing, let's get some perspective: GPH are using these homebrew games as actual built-ins for their system -- it's not like they're rewarding you out of the goodness of their hearts, it's a huge boost for their sales promotion. Seems that in reality they are "buying" the rights to do that very cheaply indeed.

But all of our games are freeware free to download on the internet so they wouldn't really need rights anyway. Provided they don't specifically try and sell the game to you then they aren't doing anything wrong.

Oh, and winning a competition and getting a prize is not the same as someone saying "hey, we like your game so have a free system on us".

Edit: Specifically Craig bought the rights to distribute Vektar commercially from Dzz for a undisclosed cash sum so it was hardly out of the goodness of Craig's heart either, was it?

GunPei2X said:
It doesn't sit well with me that, as seemingly the most ardent supporter of the Wiz on here (and one of the few people who had actually used it), you decided not to mention this crucial fact until AFTER the decision was made to remove the second dpad. If they stuck with the original design, this would have been a huge issue, and it should never have been defended.
That is because I didn't actually use the pad until AFTER EvilDragon started complaining to GPH. I have little interest in playing games - I have the prototype purely to develop libraries and firmware for. Thanks for accusing me of lying!

EDIT: I would also like to point out that until the other day I have been keeping reasonably quiet about all Wiz stuff because somebody (still not known to me, though I have my suspicions) leaked that photo to Zodttd and it was *I* who got the phone call asking how he got it.

DynaMight said:
Maybe the very few people who prefer the dual dpad Wiz can swap with the devs who already have one... :)
Hey, nice idea! I'm in! :)

Regards,
Stephan

It seems to me that one of the biggest complaints people made about GPH was that they didn't listen, so now they have to credited with listening. Credit also to ED and anyone else that influenced their decision.

naples39 said:
Curse you GPH, for actually making the decision on whether or not to a buy a Wiz a difficult one. I was comfortable with passing on the Wiz with the dual dpads. Now I don't know what to do!

I have to say I want a Pandora, so I was comfortable passing on the Wiz. But now the decision gets a little trickier. Can I justify the cost?

b_o_b said:
A wise decision to change the buttons, although Craigix promised to change the one he would sell for no extra charge. This gives a much better impression. Good job Evil D and GPH!

Maybe that influenced their decision - they don't want him getting all the extra business because of his conversion. ;)

Now I will have to have a long hard think about Wiz, or wait and see what gets developed for it.

Just a thought - will the devs with the dual dpads get their units replaced? I hope so otherwise first they haven't been given proper reward and second they will be developing on a different system to the users!

So now the question is (for those who can) which one do we buy first?
The lower price point and greater probability to succeed points to the wiz, but GPH will likely release a better version in a few years.
Anyone else have thoughts on the matter?

I doubt my opinion counts for much, the Wiz is still too limited for me to prefer over the Pandora (and as such, I won't buy one). However, it's awesome they got rid of the 2.5mm headphone jack and pushed for controls the majority was comfortable with. It's even cooler still that they Listened to the community,.. is this the first time that's happened?

Of course, I see where the skeptical guy is coming from, what if they didn't really plan on releasing the model with 2 D-pads. This would recreate their image in the scene as a kinder, more considerate entity, and as a bonus, give them an extra month of dev time. As many have said, the D-pad and head phone jack are glaring faults, so it wouldn't be a huge stretch for GPH to assume we'd ask for it to be changed.

Don't worry, I'm not really that paranoid.. in fact, I feel really good about GPH finally coming around and finally listening to us (however if, a year from now, they seem to stop listening to people, don't care about fixing firmware bugs or peripherals, and basically just seem to not be noticing people's outcries, then obviously the idea of them pretending to listen to appear nice and sell more units wouldn't be hard for me to believe).

GunPei2X said:

I hope early users of the Pandora will be honest about issues with that as well, esp. controls.
Well I guess I must be bundled in with that as well since I also have a prototype. Myself and as far as I know every other person who has one of the prototypes contacted GPH several times in relation to the pad in the hopes that it could be changed as we all felt it wouldn't be the best possible control method (I even sent a link to these forums so they could see peoples views). I didn't give an opinion on the pad either way on these forums as I felt it would be best to wait until I could have a proper play and thus give a fair and informed opinion as navigating menus can't be compared to playing a fast paced arcade game.

Back