The Whatever Happened To Zodttd Thread

A Dynarec for DOSBOX should improve it a lot, the VGA emulation and sound uses the SDL Mixers and compiles really nice.

I would imaging a Dynarec improving speed at least 50%

Regards
bOing

Squidge said:
I've decided to look into pce again :)

Of course, it'll have a stretched screen, no asm & no sound at first, so DaveC need not apply ;)
Oh Yes! :) Go Squidge Go! {pumps fist in air} :lol:

(Sorry, Stanley Cup conference finals are on and the "Go! Go!" reflex is in high gear! :) )

If you need beta testers, I'm there! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
bOingball said:
A Dynarec for DOSBOX should improve it a lot, the VGA emulation and sound uses the SDL Mixers and compiles really nice.

Regards
bOing
Interesting...I guess moving sound to the 2nd core would help greatly too if it becomes a bottleneck.

Khan said:
bOingball said:

Regards
bOing
Interesting...I guess moving sound to the 2nd core would help greatly too if it becomes a bottleneck.

This is what I thought, too but after a few devs explained that this is not generally the case, I am now skeptical. It seems to depend on what you want to emulate and what methods you use. For example moving sound to the second core greatly sped up neogeo emulation; then again according to squidge(I think he said that...) it wouldn't help snes emulation.

That's because on the SNES, handling all the GFX chips/etc is the bottleneck.
I think sound on the 2nd core could give some more headroom for the GFX stuff to get on with things, but I don't know how much... and we all know it's not a straightforward process...

PokeParadox said:
That's because on the SNES, handling all the GFX chips/etc is the bottleneck.
I think sound on the 2nd core could give some more headroom for the GFX stuff to get on with things, but I don't know how much... and we all know it's not a straightforward process...
Ah okay... so it would probably speed up emulation on dosbox. Well, maybe it is an option aswell then.

Tootai said:
I'll have to vote Amiga!
Ditto, while UAE4all is slick, it needs a bit more speed and compatibility.
Probably a case of massive effort to get a tiny improvement though?

Moxie said:
I'd happily jump up and down in a very silly way if you manage to get together a dream team on Snes :) Then again, the strange sharp one seems interesting too.
Don't, you'll set the screen interlacing off.

DOSBox is in the works now. I got the go ahead from DOSBox team to get it done with boingball with a dynarec. It will get put in the CVS of theirs, which is a great accomplishment. :)

boingball, PM.

Oh, and I havent forgot about FBA Plus, I'm looking for some help with this one though.

This is yet another excellent piece of news Zod, quick Dosbox would indeed be the emulation icing on the cake. Thanks so much for all your ambitious work!

zodttd said:
DOSBox is in the works now. I got the go ahead from DOSBox team to get it done with boingball with a dynarec. It will get put in the CVS of theirs, which is a great accomplishment. :)
best news i've heard in some time, on the emulator front. i am shedding tears of joy at this moment.

This and the PSX emulator news is great!

After your email about working on the Final Burn project I didn't think we'd be seeing any improvement in Dosbox and the PSX emulator for ages (if at all) - so this is great (and unexpected) news :D

zodttd said:
Hi everyone,

I've been extremely busy as of late. But good news is I have got a lot of work out of the way and will have more spare time outside of work to program things such as GP2X projects.

I'm going to talk to Unai and see what the future of psx4all holds. I wonder if I pushed the dynarec of psx4all as far as *I* am able to. If so, then I will figure out how to handle the project with Unai.

I got quite a few requests to do the DOSBox "C" or "Basic" dynarec for ARM based systems in order to improve it's performance. This is high on my list of things I'm considering. It's a very precise task to do and I can get it done in freetime with the help of the DOSBox team.

Other than that, all I can think of is continue work on OpenTTD. So much has already been done on the GP2X, I'm trying to think of things that helps out the GP2X and has a use on other platforms as well. Both ideas mentioned have that in mind.

Any ideas? Remember not to argue with someone over whether its an unreasonable idea. Even if someone says "Dreamcast emulator", no flames. I like to keep things open to all GP2X ideas whether feasible or not.
<

Now that gpSP2x is in good hands (with a tight grip!) I need to find something to motivate some programming.
<
ok, i know this thread is dead, but gpSP for Zodiac?

EDIT: Never mind... just noticed you opened another thread in the cross platform section.

Back