Some News Of Things To Come...

zodttd

Solving your premature emulation since the Tapwave
Website
www.zodttd.com
Hi everyone,

I decided to hand over the psx4all project to Unai. I'm not able to manage the project very well, and Unai will be able to do it much better. I will help psx4all if/as needed.

I just received the latest version of a wip dynarec core for DOSBox. I'm in the process of using that framework to making an ARM Dynarec for DOSBox. This will hopefully lead to an official ARM distro for DOSBox, to be used for GP2X, Zaurus, PocketPC, etc...

Very recently I met a person writing a psx emulator from scratch. He seems extremely talented and familar with all the obstacles that were involved with psx4all. He has a dynarec already in progress and I've been completely impressed by what I've heard of his work. The emulator is written for a handheld system, which means it doesn't have PC specific things to worry about, and also it has performance in mind. I don't know if he is interested in me helping him with the project, but hopefully he is. His project has me very excited. I also don't know what sort of porting ideas he has, or if he would be open to porting it. I actually don't know much, all I know is that it sounds like it's a very solid emulator.

I'm also excited to see what Unai has planned with psx4all, as it seems like he has a good grip on things already.

That's all for now. More news as it comes. :)

Despite that the GP2X just wasn't cut out to exhibit the full potential of your work, your hard work and expertise are duly appreciated. I look forward to trying out your DOSbox project in the future. Best of luck. :)

Thanks for everything Zodttd; I never tried the psx4all emulator but I read that some games were playable and that you invested a lot of your time in that project; I aprecciate everything you did.Thanks :D and GL in future projects!!!!

I will try to spend more time to psx4all next year.

Unai and me have some ideas for speed up, but its necessary a lot of time for testing and developing.

I hope that you will back to psx4all at near future.

¡ Good Luck !

i still say GPH should slip these guys a few thousand dollars for some quality time.

just have this nagging feeling that wont go away that an improved psx emu (and YES we know it will never run anything at full speed for everything - please dont feel the need to rain on this parade anyone!) might be a lil better for the system than a visual novel.

Thanks for the clarification :)
This means I don't have to avidly keep visiting the forum and hoping for gp2x-psx4all updates for a good couple of months; I was getting a bit obsessive over it!! You have seriously done me a huge favour. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Unai and me have some ideas for speed up, but its necessary a lot of time for testing and developing.

I hope that you will back to psx4all at near future.

¡ Good Luck !

That is ok. PSX is kind of impossible at a good speed with sound due to GP2X hardware anyway. Going from a slow slideshow to a not as slow slideshow is just not too exciting in my opinion.

I am much more interested to see what you do with the stuff that is actually possible at a good or full speed on the GP2X hardware. With your great talent some really good things may come.

Gay question but Ill ask away , what would run better theoretically? diablo on dosboxgp2x or psxgp2x?

psxgp2x. I've played it, and it's alright. With perfect frame skip, it would be playable.

I'm yet to see how far dosbox can be pushed on the GP2X, but I dount you'll get Diablo working well.

i still say GPH should slip these guys a few thousand dollars for some quality time.

just have this nagging feeling that wont go away that an improved psx emu (and YES we know it will never run anything at full speed for everything - please dont feel the need to rain on this parade anyone!) might be a lil better for the system than a visual novel.
You can't throw money at an emulator and make the impossible possible. Also a few thousand would not be enough to really motivate most devs, I'd imagine, since the amount of time required to pour into it would need to be made up in the time they could've spent working... which that wouldn't even come close to.

Back