The Whatever Happened To Zodttd Thread

zodttd

Solving your premature emulation since the Tapwave
Website
www.zodttd.com
Hi everyone,

I've been extremely busy as of late. But good news is I have got a lot of work out of the way and will have more spare time outside of work to program things such as GP2X projects.

I'm going to talk to Unai and see what the future of psx4all holds. I wonder if I pushed the dynarec of psx4all as far as *I* am able to. If so, then I will figure out how to handle the project with Unai.

I got quite a few requests to do the DOSBox "C" or "Basic" dynarec for ARM based systems in order to improve it's performance. This is high on my list of things I'm considering. It's a very precise task to do and I can get it done in freetime with the help of the DOSBox team.

Other than that, all I can think of is continue work on OpenTTD. So much has already been done on the GP2X, I'm trying to think of things that helps out the GP2X and has a use on other platforms as well. Both ideas mentioned have that in mind.

Any ideas? Remember not to argue with someone over whether its an unreasonable idea. Even if someone says "Dreamcast emulator", no flames. I like to keep things open to all GP2X ideas whether feasible or not. ;)

Now that gpSP2x is in good hands (with a tight grip!) I need to find something to motivate some programming. :)

I actually worked on it a lot more but had to put it on hold. I had a really nice mobile lineup for it about to go up on esoftinteractive.com but it never got enough time to finish it up. I can get two things done at once by doing this as a project. ;)

I agree with having OpenTTD improved further as it's one of the games I enjoy most on the GP2X. HOWEVER, I will cheer you on all the way for improved DOS emulation! :D

Glad to see OpenTTD being wanted! I really enjoyed working on this project! I stopped developing it on the GP2X for awhile because it seemed people didnt think it was worth it. I'll definitely give this some more programming time whenever I can. :)

I'm writing the DOSBox team now to see if they're still interested in a dynarec. If not it would rule out this project as I need their support.

Rivroner: Thanks, and youre welcome as well. :)

zodttd said:
Glad to see OpenTTD being wanted! I really enjoyed working on this project! I stopped developing it on the GP2X for awhile because it seemed people didnt think it was worth it. I'll definitely give this some more programming time whenever I can. :)

I'm writing the DOSBox team now to see if they're still interested in a dynarec. If not it would rule out this project as I need their support.

Rivroner: Thanks, and youre welcome as well. :)
As long as full keyboard support is included I would love to see some dosbox sped up, many many games would run on a 25mhz 486 that I would love to see again.

Shadowsithe said:
zodttd said:
people didnt think it was worth it.
DaveC isn't "people". :D

Hmm, that is right, he is an engineer. Characteristics include a propensity for superfluous magnanimous speech and hamsters named Larry. Oh, and fierce dedication to their personal views, apt to change at whim.

PS, since I got a PSP too (ironically because it was broken) all I can say is that there is no perfect handheld, a Q1 UMPC would come mighty close though, a new Toshiba Libretto would do even better. The scene, support, open nature and development of the GP is a sight to behold though, if only a half-dozen minor changes could be carried out on the GP2X and the firmware properly utilized before the need for a GP3 (namely, a Dpad, some sort of onbaord VGA/USB host/TV out, really a free change when they moved to the MKII, should have done it then).

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems OpenTTD's own team is starting to work on a WinCE port, though it's currently using the GDI instead of a more "raw framebuffer" approach via GAPI or SDL+GAPI. I wonder how that will affect things.

I'm actually in the process of getting the GP2X's TTD2X source compiled again and working on it, but it'll go slowly at first. I'm trying to remember my great idea for making it playable without a touchscreen and without horrid scrolling.

Ah, remembered. There's a really good PSP portion of the OpenTTD source, it can be modified to work on the GP2X with a bit of work. I will get on it. :) Sorry it has the PSP acronym thrown into all this though. :p

Q: How will you use the video processor if MagicEyes won't release the documentation?
A: i'm using MagicEyes in one of my new design
same MMSP2
automotive multimedia
Q: People seem to think MagicEyes is pretty shady, as they have yet to release to the full documentation as according to the GPL
for the MMSP2 I mean
A: well -- i have it complete
since i've signed NDA and official developer...
...i also got MP2530F board...
...i've got pretty neat documentation, much deeper than you can find online
...complete 3d info, complete video processor. sharing bus tricks and many others...
that's why i said -- it's possible to port freedo to gp2x...
i cannot share this info though... only use it
Q: how much would a 3DO emulator push the gp2x you think? Percentage-wise?
A: my wild guess --- up to 70-80 on 2nd core, and up to 30 on 1st core

So it sounds like the even if a FreeDO port is coming, he cannot share any information on the way he uses hardware.

Nice to see you have not fallen off the planet zodttd, thanks for all your hardwork thus far, and thanks for anything you may come up with in the future!

Is FreeDO legit? I might be able to dig up some NDA official docs if need be. I always figured the info publically available is the same as whats in the NDA documentation.

To be honest, that post quoted from what I assume to be the FreeDo author seems a bit uncertain about how his emulator would even perform, which leads me to believe it's either in its early stages or not started. I'll look into it. Sounds sort of fake to be honest.

I agree the post quoted was very *sketchy* hence me saying "even if FreeDo".. :)

Hmm, a more useable TTD port, will be a lot of work, figuring out how to make that beast of a game anymore playable on a handheld device with no touchscreen, best of luck to you zodttd, i'll be waiting with baited breath to see the results (as always). :)

I vote for Improved speed in the PSX emulator and DOSBOX

I would love to play full speed FF7, and I have loads of old DOS games that I would love to try out on the GP2X DosBox (do you think fast 386 / slow 486 speed is possible at all?)

DosBox would be my vote, although obviously with the support of the Dosbox team, since it'd be a mammoth undertaking without that. Further PSX work would be cool, too, but if you've reached the current limit, then equally fine to give it a rest for a bit... after all, you came back a few months down the line and netted another few fps last time :).

So yeah, order of preference:
- Psx, if (and only if) you think your time would be well spent there, and you're still being interested by the slow (but steady-ish) gains you've been making.
- x86 dynarec for DosBox - I wanna play Tyrian on the move, and I want it a bit faster than it is already!
- Sharp x68000 emu, because it looks very very cool and no-one's tackled it yet.
- OpenTTD, last because it's not a game I play so much, BUT if it's what you feel like doing, go for it (because after all, it's your coding time).

:)

Back