The Whatever Happened To Zodttd Thread

I'd happily jump up and down in a very silly way if you manage to get together a dream team on Snes :) Then again, the strange sharp one seems interesting too.

Sorry if I dissapointed people with this decision, but I'm really excited over this project Franxis mentioned...Final Burn Alpha!

Contacted him and he said he would like me to do the project, so time for me to get working on it! YAY! :)

Discuss here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=528819

Should be good to see Cave shmups not to mention the massively good list of games on the GP2X! Hope I can pull it off!

Last edited by a moderator:
zodttd said:
Sorry if I dissapointed people with this decision, but I'm really excited over this project Franxis mentioned...Final Burn Alpha!

Contacted him and he said he would like me to do the project, so time for me to get working on it! YAY! :)

Discuss here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=528819

Should be good to see Cave shmups not to mention the massively good list of games on the GP2X! Hope I can pull it off!

As I said in the other topic, I just soiled my trousers! :lol:

The problem was dynarec'ing an Amiga emu is that optimising the cpu emulation doesn't seem to make much difference to the overall speed.

My personal top 4 would be (in this order):

1) Amiga
2) SNES
3) DOSBOX
4) Final Burn Alpha

But you could place DOSBOX up a few notches if it was possible to play x-wing at a reasonable speed... I seem to remember it ran fairly well on my old 386SX 33mhz pc. SNES and Amiga are the two systems that I love the most and that need the most work but Final Burn Alpha would be great to see as well. Nice one zod!

Final Burn Alpha was a good decision...

Good Emulator!

Although we already have good CPS2 and NeoGeo emulation, seing CPS1 and the other games on GP2x will be great.

Hopefully porting this one will be easy for ZODTTD, and he will be asking for a new project soon ;-)

If I had to choose, I would go for the Amiga. It is very annoying how close this one is to be a great emulator, but is falling short... so close...

Hmm, this thread has got me interested in dosbox and pc-engine again now :huh: :ph34r:

I wonder how fast dosbox could be with a dynarec and hle os?

It would be very interesting to find out. I don't think dosbox would need much improvement for games like tyrian to be very playable - and I've heard mention, possibly from zodttd that x86 emulation could benefit greatly from a dynarec.... hint, hint, nudge....

Amiga would be cool too, except I don't own one, and I don't think I can reconcile that with my conscience - even though I did once have one, it was sold. By the sounds of it its further along than Dosbox anyway... I love the idea of a portable 386 - the one I had was really big and definitely not portable... Also only had a 640mb HD hmm. Then I might be able to clear some room in the attic - nothing special about an old 386...

I'd say there's more interest in Snes... It might be a more prestigious thing for the GP2x in general.

Edit; Darn verb tenses...

I wonder... what are the advantages of FinalBurn over our CPS2 emu? (and mame for cps1)? does it emulate other great platforms?

As for my opinion, I would really like to see psx emulation with at least some games playable with sound :) I'm not that interrested in dosbox and amiga (maybe i'm too young lol) and about snes, well... if special chips could be emulated, it would be worth working on it, else the emulators are already pretty good and you'd be better off working on other emulators :)

Anyway, good luck ;) you're always welcomed here!

scottm said:
oh well looks like he's doing final burn instead of Dosbox or PSX :(

Maybe you could look at DosBox and PSX after then, hint, hint ;)

I wouldn't worry, he'll probably get around to it - unless he gets struck down by a bus. He seems a fairly devout programmer... Or if we're lucky Squidge might be bored - no snes team effort yet I guess?

I've decided to look into pce again :)

Of course, it'll have a stretched screen, no asm & no sound at first, so DaveC need not apply ;)

PSX will be done but it might be a bit more time. I have some optimizations and simple fixes in mind to help speed it up thanks to help from notaz and Exophase. Just like gpSP helped psx4all, the same is true for FBAP (Final Burn Alpha Plus) and...PC-Engine.

No SNES team effort yet, though from what I hear it might be pretty far along already. Like Amiga, I suppose. Though...PC-Engine looks like it could benefit from some team effort. More on that later.
EDIT: It's later already? Yeah Squidge is working on PC-Engine, along with some help from me. Wish us luck! ;P

I have FBAP almost compiled, though it will need a few days until I can get some idea of how it will run. :)

As for DOSBox, I still plan to do this, it just seems out of my reach right now. And QBix, lead on DOSBox, probably won't put boingballs + my dynarec in the main codebase. That means we'd have to continually maintain it as well.

Squidge said:

Of course, it'll have a stretched screen, no asm & no sound at first, so DaveC need not apply ;)
You already made a PC-Engine emu with no sound ;)

DaveC said:
Squidge said:

but not with a stretched screen and blurry pixels :D

Squidge said:
DaveC said:
Squidge said:

but not with a stretched screen and blurry pixels :D

had good icons from what i remember :ph34r:

Back