The Pandora Port Request Thread

i never played any of the quake games when they originally released. but that was mostly because i had a 286 @ 12 MHz until 1999. :lol: when i finally got a better machine, a friend gave me a copy of UT, and i had some good times with that game. i might need to dig my discs out of that binder and give it a go...

RedStar1949 said:
so does Sauerbraten natively have multiplayer? working lobby?

This could be really good.
Yes and yes (well a master server which shows games), and a quite lively community too.
Just try it out, it's a free download you know?

Last edited by a moderator:
PlopperZ said:
taintedclarity said:
wasn't quake 4 not developed by iD anyways, didn't they just publish it?
Other way around. They, along with Activision, developed it.
id isn't a publisher.

No it was developed by Raven Software (with a little bit of id support).

Oh and I think we need a sticky that UT is NOT open-source. Use some common sense people: If it was open-source there would be a lively community around it just like Quake3 developing all sorts of things with it.

Julius said:
PlopperZ said:
taintedclarity said:
id isn't a publisher.

No it was developed by Raven Software (with a little bit of id support).

Oh and I think we need a sticky that UT is NOT open-source. Use some common sense people: If it was open-source there would be a lively community around it just like Quake3 developing all sorts of things with it.

Hm,
I stand corrected. I swore I heard that id did most of it.

We can't just make stickies for every damned little thing. It's pointless, people don't read them anyway, so why make more?

PlopperZ said:
Hm,

We can't just make stickies for every damned little thing. It's pointless, people don't read them anyway, so why make more?
I propose we make a sticky about what topics should be made sticky.

WizardStan said:
PlopperZ said:
Hm,

I propose we make a sticky about what topics should be made sticky.

Done.

Not. :rolleyes:

Trooper

Argh, not another shooter argument. I want full Descent and Descent II.

I personally don't care what cliche'd shooter you port First Person, Third Person, RPG, whatever.

Descent I/II/Maximum/Vertigo are the ultimate un-copied action game. No blood, no gore, no beheading, just pure 3D flight in all directions.

Flight sims do not count, and Descent Freespace does not count either. What is the point of flying if you are in outer space and there is no way to tell how fast you are going? Besides which most space sims are glorified dogfight flight sims. I don't need to be razed by ships that can only travel two speeds: fast and faster.

To play Descent requires strafing, in all 3 dimensions, while rotating. This is simply beyond the capabilities of any game with two feet or any number of wheels being your modus transportus (would this be wile e. coyote pig latin?).

Basically it is my feeling that we will have plenty of gun toting shooters, no need to complain.

just found this: http://www.playspacetrader.com/
Seems like the requirements are ok, though ram usage might need quite some tweaking :/

innovative open-source commercial game... that's the stuff pandora dreams are made of :D

I dont think so... the source is only 9.5MB so there is no data files with it. Some one who would want to port it would have to look into it more.

greendots said:
I dont think so... the source is only 9.5MB so there is no data files with it. Some one who would want to port it would have to look into it more.
I'm pretty sure, sourcecode for data isn't needed :D
Datafiles should be extracted from linux binary...

How about Warsow? It's another open source FPS for Linux, although it's a little graphically intensive.

PlopperZ said:
taintedclarity said:
id isn't a publisher.

Quake 4 really was just a bad game, I hope they don't make any more in that series.

Never played UT, but I still think Quake III is best of the two. :D

No, id and Raven developed it, and Activision published it. ;)

I don't see why so many people hate on Quake 4. I used to be one of the haters, but to be honest, I'd never played it before this past week; I just bought into the reviewer bias. Now that I've played it fairly extensively, I can say it's a great game and a lot of fun. Doom 3 was highly acclaimed, and Quake 4 is essentially Doom 3 outside... I don't get it. :confused:

CronoTriggerfan said:
I don't see why so many people hate on Quake 4. I used to be one of the haters, but to be honest, I'd never played it before this past week; I just bought into the reviewer bias. Now that I've played it fairly extensively, I can say it's a great game and a lot of fun. Doom 3 was highly acclaimed, and Quake 4 is essentially Doom 3 outside... I don't get it. :confused:
It just didn't seem to be in the true nature of Quake. The multiplayer was really bad on it as well. I guess it would've been an OK game, if it wasn't released with the Quake name.

I didn't like Doom 3 very much either. Again, it didn't feel like Doom.
I really think they should leave those old series' alone.

I would like some RPGs which can be played Online like Crossfire, Nethack and stuff.
Also simulation-games and strategy like Wargus, Stargus, Battle for Wesnoth,..

There are many very good 2D OSS Games for Linux on http://www.happypenguin.org/ which dont require too much hardware. It would be cool if some of them find his way to the Panda. :)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
It's not just a Mario clone It's basically a framework for platform games. Not just that, but it's quite an advanced one too.

It includes a level editor that lets you create and test levels on the fly (which will be a lot of fun on the Pandora's touch screen :D).
The graphics are easily replaceable for completely different styles of games and the levels themselves can be built horizontally or vertically.
Add on to that all the code implemented for weather effects that varies the gameplay and things like slippy blocks, hidden rooms, tons of power ups, end of level bosses and the soon to be built under water levels, and you have a great foundations for building new games on :)

Wow I missed this. That's totally cool. Does anybody know of a sililar framwork for racing games?

Cervante said:
http://www.openwengo.org/

Since skype isint opensource can we go with wengo ?

wengo should be very much possible. But still: is skype really out of range? Maybe the n810 exec or one for an upcoming nokia could be used to skype around. Same about flash.

Back