The Pandora Port Request Thread

CronoTriggerfan said:
Cube would be awesome! Saurbraeten would be kickass, but it's a bit graphically-intensive, don't you think?
Sauerbraten would be really awesome. There've been different opinions as to how well Pandora could run it. If it could... that would be getting into "killer app" territory. As in, I've seriously considered spending well more than the price of Pandora to upgrade my (four year old) PC to give better performance running sauer.

I'm kind of skeptical myself, from what I've seen on my systems at home. But when someone ports sauer to Pandora, I'll give it a try, and see if I can get a playable framerate, on any interesting maps, with any playable set of graphics settings.

I've never tried Cube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jaxartes said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
Cube would be awesome! Saurbraeten would be kickass, but it's a bit graphically-intensive, don't you think?
Sauerbraten would be really awesome. There've been different opinions as to how well Pandora could run it. If it could... that would be getting into "killer app" territory. As in, I've seriously considered spending well more than the price of Pandora to upgrade my (four year old) PC to give better performance running sauer.

I'm kind of skeptical myself, from what I've seen on my systems at home. But when someone ports sauer to Pandora, I'll give it a try, and see if I can get a playable framerate, on any interesting maps, with any playable set of graphics settings.

I've never tried Cube.

yeah, the main issue would most likely be the memory usage for storing content (128mb is a bit little). the shader effects can always be disabled.

P.S. just get a fairly recent graphic card, sauer runs well on pretty much anything modern. you don't need a fancy 8600GT or what have you, even with the shader effects ^^

Cube 1 is boring. No Level-Interactivity I recommend the good old BUILD Engine. There is no "room over room to but with BUILD you can do so much more cool Stuff than with Cube 1.

Sauerbraten is nice because the Ingame-Editor is very clever, you also can do Level Editing in Multi-Player. :D Well, the Interactivity with the Levels isn't that great, maybe a Door or Jumppads but still no comparison to BUILD or the modern Game engines.

And sadly, the Cube Engines doesn't have Bots for Offline-Multiplayer Action, I hopt this will be fixed.
Until then we maybe get the Quake Editors run onto the Pandora to if someone will do the Quake Game ports?

fusion_power said:
And sadly, the Cube Engines doesn't have Bots for Offline-Multiplayer Action, I hopt this will be fixed.
Huh. Sauerbraten has "DMSP mode" in which you play on a multiplayer-intended level, against computer-generated monsters. I find it entertaining, it's what I usually play. Although the monsters are kind of dumb. I usually run to a high point overlooking a low point, wait until a crowd of monsters accumulates below, and start tossing grenades. Do it right, and my "percent missed" goes negative (i.e., I dealt more actual damage than would be nominally expected for the amount of ammo I used).

fusion_power said:
Cube 1 is boring. No Level-Interactivity I recommend the good old BUILD Engine. There is no "room over room to but with BUILD you can do so much more cool Stuff than with Cube 1.

Sauerbraten is nice because the Ingame-Editor is very clever, you also can do Level Editing in Multi-Player. :D Well, the Interactivity with the Levels isn't that great, maybe a Door or Jumppads but still no comparison to BUILD or the modern Game engines.

Until then we maybe get the Quake Editors run onto the Pandora to if someone will do the Quake Game ports?
no level-interactivity? did you even play it? also, the ingame level editor and co-op edit exists in cube 1 where it started out... Sauerbraten is cube 2 and hence the latest version. cube 1 hasn't been updated since 2005.

don't diss and advertise in threads. go make a new one for your BUILD engine or whatever.

CC_machine said:
Jaxartes said:
CronoTriggerfan said:

I've never tried Cube.

yeah, the main issue would most likely be the memory usage for storing content (128mb is a bit little). the shader effects can always be disabled.

P.S. just get a fairly recent graphic card, sauer runs well on pretty much anything modern. you don't need a fancy 8600GT or what have you, even with the shader effects ^^

8600gt is a crap card it only has 128-bit memory bus width, not enough memory bandwidth to let all those pixel shaders do any work, it is not worth the money. You can buy an 8800GS for $80, no reason to be stuck on an old system. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=300248801331

If you don't have pci-express a pci-e motherboard and a celeron 430 (core2 single core) are about $40 and $35 respectively. Or there is usually a reasonable kit, this one is $69.95 and $16.75 shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=170245940402

I ran one of these for the last 6 months at 1066mhz fsb for 2.4ghz, and it didn't even get warm! (I used the stock cooler off of a C2Duo with the copper core though.)

DDR2 ram is the cheapest stuff around $31 for 2GB 800mhz http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=160267945296

This is cheaper than the Pandora by a large margin. You can bump the specs with a Core2 e4400 at ~$100, or an AMD HD4850 video card (faster than a 9800GTX!!!) for $165, but I think you would be plenty happy with the system upgrade above for $200.

I would just stick with porting stuff that it can play, no need for shaders etc. ANYTHING is better than 3D on the DS ;) , that junk makes me want to puke. Ditto for the PSP's horrid screen. (If you don't believe me see this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HhIt8A-d34 even the GP2X has a better screen, and it is pretty poor compared to the Pandora :D )

Tripmonkey_uk said:
ashdjones said:
Why the hell are the recommended specs so high?
All that for a mario clone? It boggles my mind, seriously.
It's not just a Mario clone It's basically a framework for platform games. Not just that, but it's quite an advanced one too.

It includes a level editor that lets you create and test levels on the fly (which will be a lot of fun on the Pandora's touch screen :D).
The graphics are easily replaceable for completely different styles of games and the levels themselves can be built horizontally or vertically.
Add on to that all the code implemented for weather effects that varies the gameplay and things like slippy blocks, hidden rooms, tons of power ups, end of level bosses and the soon to be built under water levels, and you have a great foundations for building new games on :)

Now that is cool - it sounds like it's exactly what I've been looking for for a while to experiment with some ideas I've had.

Prometheus said:
Now that is cool - it sounds like it's exactly what I've been looking for for a while to experiment with some ideas I've had.
Good luck with that.
It will be nice to see the excellent work that FluXy and the rest of the devs put into the framework getting some attention for once. Having people just comparing it to Mario World is getting really old ;)

Thanks much. I just hope I get somewhere with it in between dealing with life in general. :lol:

Your description put me in mind of the rather good level creation application included with Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (actually, it sounds like it's a bit easier to use - tileset editing with Jazz Jackrabbit 2 was a bit confusing initially), which is what's gotten my attention about it - from the sound of the official Secret Maryo Chronicles website, the SMC editor seems similar in concept. :D I do hope this gets a port.

Now I'm going to grab it from the Kubuntu repositories and have a play around, I think. :D

Prometheus said:
Now I'm going to grab it from the Kubuntu repositories and have a play around, I think. :D
I haven't managed to get the newest version working right on Ubuntu yet. It loads up and everything but is running way too slow to play :(

1.4 is still the version in the repo I think? that should be good enough for you to get to grips with anyway though. Press the F8 key to start the editor :)

nubie said:
CC_machine said:
Jaxartes said:
CronoTriggerfan said:

I've never tried Cube.

8600gt is a crap card it only has 128-bit memory bus width, not enough memory bandwidth to let all those pixel shaders do any work, it is not worth the money. You can buy an 8800GS for $80, no reason to be stuck on an old system. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=300248801331

If you don't have pci-express a pci-e motherboard and a celeron 430 (core2 single core) are about $40 and $35 respectively. Or there is usually a reasonable kit, this one is $69.95 and $16.75 shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=170245940402

I ran one of these for the last 6 months at 1066mhz fsb for 2.4ghz, and it didn't even get warm! (I used the stock cooler off of a C2Duo with the copper core though.)

DDR2 ram is the cheapest stuff around $31 for 2GB 800mhz http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=160267945296

This is cheaper than the Pandora by a large margin. You can bump the specs with a Core2 e4400 at ~$100, or an AMD HD4850 video card (faster than a 9800GTX!!!) for $165, but I think you would be plenty happy with the system upgrade above for $200.

I would just stick with porting stuff that it can play, no need for shaders etc. ANYTHING is better than 3D on the DS ;) , that junk makes me want to puke. Ditto for the PSP's horrid screen. (If you don't believe me see this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HhIt8A-d34 even the GP2X has a better screen, and it is pretty poor compared to the Pandora :D )

uh huh. this guy wants a card to play _sauerbraten_. a 8600GT is more than enough for his needs. more ram is useful too.

anyway, back on-topic: i might try to port it as i've recently started some gp2x development with sdl and c++, but it looks way over my head. anyone else want to try?

Tripmonkey_uk said:
I haven't managed to get the newest version working right on Ubuntu yet. It loads up and everything but is running way too slow to play :(
Sounds like you don't have acceleration capable drivers for your graphics card installed.

desowin said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
Sounds like you don't have acceleration capable drivers for your graphics card installed.

well GLXgears seems to work ok? here's the result..
3731 frames in 5.0 seconds = 746.031 fps
Compiz works fine too.

I think it could be dependency related as 1.4 works fine??

Jaxartes said:
fusion_power said:
Huh. Sauerbraten has "DMSP mode" in which you play on a multiplayer-intended level, against computer-generated monsters. I find it entertaining, it's what I usually play. Although the monsters are kind of dumb. I usually run to a high point overlooking a low point, wait until a crowd of monsters accumulates below, and start tossing grenades. Do it right, and my "percent missed" goes negative (i.e., I dealt more actual damage than would be nominally expected for the amount of ammo I used).

I know. But I meant Bots like Player-replacements. Bots that act like real players and not just dumb AI Monsters. ;) Bots like the UT Bots for Example.

CC_machine said:
no level-interactivity? did you even play it? also, the ingame level editor and co-op edit exists in cube 1 where it started out... Sauerbraten is cube 2 and hence the latest version. cube 1 hasn't been updated since 2005.

don't diss and advertise in threads. go make a new one for your BUILD engine or whatever.
Aye! I never "diss". ;) I only say my private opinion. With "Interactivity" I meant such gimmics like destructable walls or Movers in every form or "real" decals, animated Level Decoration objects etc. I never tested the Editor Function of Cube 1 (Only the Yeti3D Editor a while ago, which is not to far from Cube1 afaik) but I spend alot time with the Sauerbraten 2 Editor and I like the possibilities.

I had the same issues when I tried to run it a long time ago. I just assumed it was because I am using an eeepc, and that my lappy isn't powerful enough.

CC_machine said:
fusion_power said:

Hey, it could have been worse, he could have made a post telling you to use the search function, seeing as how both Cube and Sauerbraten have both been discussed in numerous topics on this forum.

Also, his post was more a comparison between 3 games, whereas yours was an attack on the user.

-God Ginrai

cube 1 is great cause its not too cpu intensive and level editing is extremely simple compared to other engines. saurbraten seems like it would be too demanding for the pandora. My desktop pc has some trouble running it so I think the pandora would have even more trouble.

Runs fine on my 6-year-old Dell with a dog-old 1.8 GHz P4 processor, 768 MB of RAM (upgraded), and 16-32 MB of shared RAM for the Intel "82845G Chipset Integrated Graphics Device".

Can you feel the breeze? ;)

Back