Port Request

richiz

http://www.pygame.org/project-Rose+Ninja-1120-.html

Can someone port this please? Also Tempel ported Bubb man 2 which is another pygame (on Openhandhelds) but it could do with optimization.

Is anyone willing to pick this up?

Also there's a lot of Pygames I want to port so if someone could detail the porting method that'd be fantastish.

http://www.pygame.org/project-Rose+Ninja-1120-.html

Can someone port this please? Also Tempel ported Bubb man 2 which is another pygame (on Openhandhelds) but it could do with optimization.

Is anyone willing to pick this up?

Also there's a lot of Pygames I want to port so if someone could detail the porting method that'd be fantastish.
It's python, most things will just run out the box, might need an extra package/module (whatever python calls libraries) but its certainly not hard, POP by inc if you really need help :p

Yar but how would you config buttons and changed screen res correctly?

It is all in the source.

As it is interpreted and not precompiled, you should be able to find it relatively easily.

Yar but how would you config buttons and changed screen res correctly?

learn python :p

though keybindings don't necesarrily need to be changed, as there's a full keyboard, screen res would be specified in whatever the graphics subsystem functions are, assuming the developer has some sense, all depends on what the program (script in the case of python :p ) has been written like

I don't think that port requests thread gets looked at very much and I wanted to play the Rose Ninja game today.

Yeah I'm learning Python but it's a total ball ache. I was hoping for someone to look through the source and go "instead of cursor up for this you change it to "DPAD_UP" and pandora will know it's the dpad then.

I'll have a look at the source and see if I can figure myself later tonight butttt it'd be nice to have a heads up of things that need to be changed.

Yeah I'm learning Python but it's a total ball ache. I was hoping for someone to look through the source and go "instead of cursor up for this you change it to "DPAD_UP" and pandora will know it's the dpad then.

I'll have a look at the source and see if I can figure myself later tonight butttt it'd be nice to have a heads up of things that need to be changed.

1: yes python is a pain in the balls, truly

2: the dpad is bound to up, down, left, right arrows, no changes needed for that specific case, but that is the general idea for most portages (abxy are home end pagedown and pageup, not in that order)

3: usually it'll be things like screen resolution, button mappings, maybe need a scaler on the graphics aswell before sending them to the screen, the real pain is getting it all tweaked to be completely working properly, then packaging it up so it'll run on a stock console (extra libraries/etc)

Thanks ok I'll see what I can do. I dont want to have to run it as a py file though I want to run it as a PND file.

If I'm successful (which I doubt I will be) I'll be back tonight with a ton of Pygames ported.

If not I may just write a simple program that puts a pic to a 800 600 display that exits on any keypress asking for step by step instructions on how to pnd it.

seriously? you had trouble porting this game?

no offense but this is one of the best programmed pygames i've ever seen for porting. It even uses a camera and everything. All you have to do is change line 104 in main.py to be 800x480 and fullscreen,

Code:
screen = pygame.display.set_mode((800,480),SRCALPHA|HWSURFACE|FULLSCREEN,32)

and all the key handling is line 160 to 174, just change to whatever values you want.

Don't hate on python/pygame just because you're inexperienced at it. It is not a pain in the balls. Try porting a C++ game to Pandora and then come back and say bad things about python.

I dont want to have to run it as a py file though I want to run it as a PND file.

<program command="./run.sh">

#!/bin/bash

python foo.py

(luke, python is a pain in the balls, but it's also nicer than c++ in a lot of ways, all personal preference :p certainly much easier to get a pygame running though)

seriously? you had trouble porting this game?

no offense but this is one of the best programmed pygames i've ever seen for porting. It even uses a camera and everything. All you have to do is change line 104 in main.py to be 800x480 and fullscreen,

Code:
screen = pygame.display.set_mode((800,480),SRCALPHA|HWSURFACE|FULLSCREEN,32)

and all the key handling is line 160 to 174, just change to whatever values you want.

Don't hate on python/pygame just because you're inexperienced at it. It is not a pain in the balls. Try porting a C++ game to Pandora and then come back and say bad things about python.
No need to bash old chap I'm here to learn.

If you re-read my sentence I said "I'm learning Python and it's a ball ache". As in learning programming is a ball ache and I'm referencing my poor ability at programming.

Was noway saying Python itself was a ballache (I've done a few classes in C++) and I find Python lovely in comparison...but I don't program as a living and I already sit in front of a screen 8 hours a day and I'm social so programming kinda takes a back seat in my life most days when I have some free time.

If it is really easy then, do you mind letting me know how you would then turn it into a PND executable, that way I can attempt to port tonight along with a rather large selection of my fave pygames

EDIT** Thanks Francis. It may be my 5am start but how would the above command turn a collection of .py files along with the source pics into a complete PND. Actually forget it I'll stop being lazy and have a proper read through of distpnd utils tonight done by Tempel. I'm sure I'll have more Q's. My brain takes to programming like a fish out of water

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a look too and could make a pnd in notime. Runs a bit choppy on pandora though. But if richiz wants to make his first porting experiences, he should port this.

There is a lot of info about pnd creation on the pandorawiki.

If you need help, post here!

I learned it also trough packaging up some interpreted games and programs in java and python first.

Edit: And you don't have to learn one command in python to change the resolution and the keybindings. It is really sinmple as stated before, just give it a try.

Edit2: here you go!:

http://pandorawiki.org/PND_quickstart

The easiest way is to do it on the pandora, as you don't need any extra librarys.

No need to bash old chap I'm here to learn.

If you re-read my sentence I said "I'm learning Python and it's a ball ache". As in learning programming is a ball ache and I'm referencing my poor ability at programming.
you're right, I misread your sentence. my badness.

If it is really easy then, do you mind letting me know how you would then turn it into a PND executable, that way I can attempt to port tonight along with a rather large selection of my fave pygames
already been answered - but I don't have a pandora myself yet. It's on the way, should have it by end of next week. I'll be much more prolific w/ the apps & PNDs then.

I think i might have to write a PND GUI toolset once I get my pandora -- unless one's been written already? The wiki doesn't mention one. I'll have access to Win / Linux / Mac / Pandy so it'll be cross-platform.

1: yes python is a pain in the balls, truly

Huh, I found Python was one of the easiest languages I picked up. Outside of some quirks that I though was less annoying than say C / C++, in general it was pretty easy to deal with.

Edit: Well C and Python are bad comparison. Interpreted vs compiled.. I'm more comparing ease of use and how easy is it to learn.

Huh, I found Python was one of the easiest languages I picked up. Outside of some quirks that I though was less annoying than say C / C++, in general it was pretty easy to deal with.

Edit: Well C and Python are bad comparison. Interpreted vs compiled.. I'm more comparing ease of use and how easy is it to learn.

I learnt with basic...then c, so it's the forced indentation that gets me, and lack of brackets making it so unreadable

(that and once you've had to use a build of 90,000+ files, all done using SCons and munged with pythin scripts at the end it kind of puts you off for life)

Back