The Next Advert

Wasn't Elsewhere supposed to be out in July? Also it is in Korean, which is probably not the native language of the advertisement readers and will probably not be a selling point for them.

the subtitle "Play games from dozens of classic platforms, totaling thousands of games" is a little repetitive. Maybe "totaling thousands of titles"?

Otherwise superb ad, I love it :)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 22 2006 at 05:50 PM said:
the subtitle "Play games from dozens of classic platforms, totaling thousands of games" is a little repetitive. Maybe "totaling thousands of titles"?

Otherwise superb ad, I love it :)

Very good point - thank you!

As for the GPengu - I will try to get him in there, somewhere!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's.. fantastic... I'm speechless.

But, how much does it cost? (the price is missing)...

And if Metal Slug can be shown, I'm sure you can fit the words 'Mega Drive' in there somewhere... Possibly SNES, too.

And after another reviewing, MP3 playback is missing, it says 'plays music', but the format is definitely something that people will want to hear, people see "MP3" in an ad and and figure it's closer to units like an Ipod.

And, if you were to include Mega Drive and SNES, replace the screens at the bottom and the text, don't even officially mention it, sort of like it's an afterthought... Like, "Oh, yeah, it can also play these, forgot to mention..."

Another boo boo is that the GP2Xs at the bottom are MKI s and you want the thing up-to-date, right?

I almost want to buy another one, that's a sweet advert. You got me all excited, now I want to play my GP2X ;)

Include MP3 and OGG in the music playing formats. Also, are you sure you want to put in games that are yet to be released?

Regardless of minor changes, the info is right, the ad is very eye-catching, and it's a definite pro job. I'm impressed.

It never occurred to me that the picture said 'sample'... I think in the final (if this gets pulled for print like it should) you can replace the word 'sample' with GP2X or something catchy.

(naw)mcx posted on Jul 23 2006 at 03:45 AM said:
For snes and Mega Drive just put the logos of the Emulators. Would that work? And I love the ad!

I don't know if people who see the ad will know what DrMDx is. If it's 'SEGA' and 'Nintendo' that you're worried about, you can use different character, equally recognizeable per platform, for instance Earthworm Jim and Megaman. Megaman's Capcom, and you already used a Street Fighter screen, and I'm sure Shiny Interactive or Playmates IEI would mind you using Earthworm Jim. I don't know who owns the rights to him now, but... IF that's dodgy, the use a screen of Gunstar. That'll turn heads.

Vimacs posted on Jul 23 2006 at 12:37 PM said:
I like it at though isnt neogeo writen together?

It's written as "NeoGeo" actualy.

I find the ad a little too grey actualy. And as a customer i personaly don't like very much text being used in an ad. I just want to see plain pictures, and the functions named in a listing. I don't like the long sentences and stuff like that. All i want to see is a list with things the product can do, and a price. But then again, it's a personal thing.

Also the GP2X isn't limited to 4 GB SD cards. SD cards can hold 32 GB at max. And, if the firmware supports it, they can be used. I suggest you change this in the ad.

Another little thingy I made just for fun.
Note: The pudgy, hand-drawn GP2X design was something I did with the intention of using it for t-shirt designs to put on cafepress, but I couldn't really figure out any cool and/or funny t-shirt slogans, so I haven't used it for anything. If you have a killer idea and want to use this t-shirt, maybe we could cut eachother a deal. I have a cafepress shop, so if you have any awesome ideas, give me a ring-ting-ting and we'll split 50-50 on the slim earnings.

gp2xplumb.jpg

Here is the latest scoop. I have a new and improved copy. There are NO names listed for the games, and the games have smaller profiles. This is so that we can avoid copyright issues. The emulation screens are all from the PC. The title "from DOZENS of classic platforms" emplies that you can emulate a ton of stuff - leaving it to the consumer to check it out.

The only real platform we agreed to mention was MAME. As for the commercial games, and their availability - I don't find this to be a problem. At the very least, it shows what the console is capable of doing. Homebrew is usually much more impressive, visually, than just emulators.

I fixed some typos - added the GPenguin, added a GamePark Holdings logo - created some more shtuff to spice it up a bit... and we will see. I am in the final process of talking to Craig... I will post it a little bit later.

[edit] As for the MK1 vs MK2, I couldn't find a stock image of the MK2 unit which gave me the proper angle of viewing for the simulated image... so I just stuck with it.

[edit 2] as for the pricing - I'll speak with craig about it. Because we may link directly to his site - instead of gp2x.com. The only reason I put that is there might be readers from other countries, and they could find a retailer on the official site, rather than just Craigs - and the pricing would be in a different currency.

[edit 3] This current version that I am sitting on, is miles ahead of the old one. I'm really diggin' it.

Crazy Goat posted on Jul 23 2006 at 02:07 PM said:
Here is the latest scoop. I have a new and improved copy. There are NO names listed for the games, and the games have smaller profiles. This is so that we can avoid copyright issues. The emulation screens are all from the PC. The title "from DOZENS of classic platforms" emplies that you can emulate a ton of stuff - leaving it to the consumer to check it out.

The only real platform we agreed to mention was MAME. As for the commercial games, and their availability - I don't find this to be a problem. At the very least, it shows what the console is capable of doing. Homebrew is usually much more impressive, visually, than just emulators.

I fixed some typos - added the GPenguin, added a GamePark Holdings logo - created some more shtuff to spice it up a bit... and we will see. I am in the final process of talking to Craig... I will post it a little bit later.

[edit] As for the MK1 vs MK2, I couldn't find a stock image of the MK2 unit which gave me the proper angle of viewing for the simulated image... so I just stuck with it.

[edit 2] as for the pricing - I'll speak with craig about it. Because we may link directly to his site - instead of gp2x.com. The only reason I put that is there might be readers from other countries, and they could find a retailer on the official site, rather than just Craigs - and the pricing would be in a different currency.

[edit 3] This current version that I am sitting on, is miles ahead of the old one. I'm really diggin' it.
Sounds great, can't wait to check it out!

Craig and I have already nailed down the final version. We are just meeting the requirements of Retrogamer currently.

I will post it in a minute.

Blah posted on Jul 23 2006 at 09:26 PM said:
Photoshop is nice and all, but for all my gfx design stuff, I use Inkscape. :)

I love you. :lol:

Very nice ad! It would grab more attention if you could mention emulation of the neogeo, the genesis and the nintendo systems. Maybe you could do it like you've did it with mame, just show the title screen of the emu. Should be the only legal way to do this.

Edit: Just to say it again, if I wouldn't own one, I'd buy one as soon as I would have seen this ad. Fantastic!

Back