The Next Advert

Crazy Goat posted on Jul 30 2006 at 02:47 AM said:
Magnulus posted on Jul 29 2006 at 06:45 PM said:
So what you're saying is "Thanks for your commentaries, but you're being silly"?

For the most part - this is how Craig liked it - he has schedules to meet, and we needed to submit it to RetroGamer ASAP. There are a lot of the functions of the GP2X that were not mentioned... as I wish we could mention it all, there are limitations on space, convenience, time constraints, and sheer legality.

I'm happy how it came out - it should at least interest some people to visit the site... we left a lot to the imagination because of the problems arrise when you're using someone elses product to advertise yours. It was intended to get the gist of it - and if they liked what they saw, look further into it... and I think it captures that quite well.
That's fine, but I think some of the useful comments have mentioned that the English is either vague or hideously misleading.

As nem said the "No need to re-encode" isn't entirely true and as I said, "up to 8GB SD cards and beyond"... is that true?
Obviously, it's none of our business, but I'd hate to see people being put off of this thing because some of the specs were lied about *coughs* WMV *coughs* ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I realise that having a homebrew advert is very much in the spirit of the console but would it not be prudent to employ a professional to promote our beloved GP2X ? Considering the moment when I first saw this, I wanted the perpetrator to kill themselves in the most gory fashion possible I think you should seriously consider it.

Wite Noiz suggested :

a black page with a pic of the 2X in the middle (top tilted away slightly, right-hand corner raised) with a very slight reflection and then 5 or 6 screenshots in a ring around it (asin, going behind and the ones in front being larger).

That would be a far more attention grabbing image. What you are going with is just not going to stop anyone as they flip straight past it looking for that PSP review.

Why go all minimalistic and stylised?? It's not an i-pod, or indeed a PSP.

Jam-pack the page with screenshots and jargon!! Definitely the way to go! In fact, point out why it's better than a PSP for emulators. Better ratio screen. Cheaper SD cards. No nasty homebrew-blocking firmwares.

Plus mention the fact that the joystick's better nowadays.

Fill that page!

I agree with ste 167. The screenshots will sell it and the text will appeal to the kind of people that the GP2X will suit i.e people that can read ;)
Minimalist teaser ads suit PSP/DS where your average user just wants to plug in a game and press buttons.

Also good work crazy goat! IMO this is a big improvement over the previous advert.

Before any one is going to read your jam-packed text and images you have to get their attention.

This layout fails miserably.

What is the advert for ?

The screen shots at the top make it look like an advert for games. The readers eye scans down and sees some unknown device at the bottom.

Conclusion : Advert for games for some device I have never heard of - Next Page.

It would be better to use Wite Noiz's suggestion for the top half of the page to grab attention and make clear it is about a hand-held. The bottom half would be used for text and further screen shots.

Currently there are three small images of the GP2X breaking up the available space and reducing the the usable area. Thank god it claims to only be a sample. (You are not worried someone is going to steal it, are you ?)

Where is the mention of it being open-source ?

If Linux is the primary operating system how many os does it have ? What is the secondry one ?

That image of the pile of books has to go. Unless you are limiting the appeal to Geeks-R-Us.

I don't think mentioning that the joystick is marginally better than in the first batches is going to inspire confidence in any potential purchaser. Why not mention there is a built in software patch to adjust the dodgy video hardware while you are about it ?

Mr.Jabberwocky posted on Aug 3 2006 at 08:29 AM said:
Considering the moment when I first saw this, I wanted the perpetrator to kill themselves in the most gory fashion possible....

Don't bother to mince your words will you. :blink:

Mr.Jabberwocky posted on Aug 3 2006 at 08:29 AM said:
What you are going with is just not going to stop anyone as they flip straight past it looking for that PSP review.

It will go on the back cover of retro gamer... not a magazine reknowned for PSP reviews.

I think all the debate just goes to show that design by committee is difficult. Those whose ideas aren't taken on board are understandably upset.

I personally think some of the text could be tightened up, but that its a vast improvement over the original and for that we should be pleased as its bound to bring more users to the system. I also agree that a forum designed advert is very in keeping with the homebrew theme of the machine. :D

a black page with a pic of the 2X in the middle (top tilted away slightly, right-hand corner raised) with a very slight reflection and then 5 or 6 screenshots in a ring around it (asin, going behind and the ones in front being larger).

How would you manage to incorporate the ring of screenshots in without blocking the striking GP2X photo?

Oh wait. We're not the first ones to have had this problem.. ;)

gpgpgpxg8.jpg
dsdsnb7.jpg

In fact, just how often has this idea been used before??

31368_L.jpg

I was about to mention that. :D
Actually, white surfaces draw the eye much more than black, so that coupled with the contrast of the black unit would probably work pretty well.

Payback, Vektar, Nethack, Quake, Star Control 2 and Beneath a Steel Sky. All legal (as far as I understand) and all good-looking games (if you use the high-res tilemaps with full zoom in Nethack.) that could work in coalition with this design.

We have already been running an advert with a large GP2X image for 6 months. It's time to move on to the next advert.

Yono posted on Jul 30 2006 at 03:52 AM said:
Crazy Goat posted on Jul 29 2006 at 09:47 PM said:
Magnulus posted on Jul 29 2006 at 06:45 PM said:
So what you're saying is "Thanks for your commentaries, but you're being silly"?

For the most part - this is how Craig liked it - he has schedules to meet, and we needed to submit it to RetroGamer ASAP. There are a lot of the functions of the GP2X that were not mentioned... as I wish we could mention it all, there are limitations on space, convenience, time constraints, and sheer legality.

I'm happy how it came out - it should at least interest some people to visit the site... we left a lot to the imagination because of the problems arrise when you're using someone elses product to advertise yours. It was intended to get the gist of it - and if they liked what they saw, look further into it... and I think it captures that quite well.
You are right, the ad should just be a summary of sorts. If craig wanted to go in depth he would have sent a gp2x to Retro Gamer (preferably with a SD card preloaded with the best emulators/interpreters/homebrew) and asked for a full review. Of course, this might not be a bad idea to do anyway, since I think the retro gamer readers would be very interested in the device and not spam the forums with silly xbox360 requests.

Retrogamer have already reviewed the GP2X - Twice.

Just about every computer mag on the market in the UK has now reviwed the GP2X - we are moving into the second stage of adverts now.

I'm going to scan in and put all the press on gp2x.co.uk - I think some of you will be amazed how much there has been.

We have already been running an advert with a large GP2X image for 6 months. It's time to move on to the next advert.

Agreed. Or at the very least a photo of a GP2X with cloth covers over the speakers...!

What month of Retrogamer was the review? I must have missed it, I saw the GP32 one.

ste_167 posted on Aug 3 2006 at 02:39 PM said:
It is hard to see black things against a black background.
Magnulus posted on Aug 3 2006 at 03:11 PM said:
Actually, white surfaces draw the eye much more than black, so that coupled with the contrast of the black unit would probably work pretty well.
Well that was a tough one. Thank goodness at least one of has a full brain cell count.

How would you manage to incorporate the ring of screenshots in without blocking the striking GP2X photo?

Transparency ?

Considering the increase in users over the last 6 months it seems to have been pretty effective. But, hey, its old now. How about no pictures of it at all. More room for screenshots and baffling geek speak specs to impress our mates with.

Transparency would work if the ring rotated round it, which is probably where you've seen the idea used in the past? It would would work if you could increase and decrease the opacity of the screenshots at different points in the rotation, so as to give clarity to them without completely blocking the GP2X image.

It doesn't work when it's a static image (see half-attempt) as you then have a choice: make the screenshots clear and block out the GP2X, or make them more transparent and lose their impact.

testrr9.jpg

Mr.Jabberwocky posted on Aug 3 2006 at 04:54 PM said:
Well that was a tough one. Thank goodness at least one of has a full brain cell count.

Who are you lashing out against here? It's hard to tell. I may have been stating the obvious, but someone needed to say it, and in any case, the argument of the white still stands.

Magnulus posted on Aug 3 2006 at 04:55 PM said:
Mr.Jabberwocky posted on Aug 3 2006 at 04:54 PM said:

Who are you lashing out against here? It's hard to tell. I may have been stating the obvious, but someone needed to say it, and in any case, the argument of the white still stands.
Myself - for failing to realise Wite Noiz's idea of black on black would make it hard to distinguish. After ste_167 pointed it out you brilliantly provided the solution - obvious or not. I am not sure if I would go with white but the use of a lighter background is all that is needed.
I still think his idea is good. Someone with paint package skills could easily put together a ring of screen shots around it without obscuring the GP2X. It is just a matter scale and viewing angle.

Oh, right! I'd forgotten you were the one who suggested the black. Sorry about the snarky response. ^_^
I know!!! ORANGE! I love orange. ^_^
Now, that's a colour that says POW! Hee hee!

I was more thinking of the screenshots being pretty much undistorted, but arranged in a "3D" ring around the GP2X, partly overlapping in the front and partly hidden behind it in the back... Like a ring of moons. I'll provide a sample.

Right, and here's an example... The text, I just threw in there.
I'm not much of a designer, but it gets the point across in case anyone wants to embellish on it. I have the photoshop file with layers and all if anybody wants to improve it.

gp2x-moons1.jpg

I like that. Maybe a couple more screenshots to make it less bare in the middle. Poor old GPH. They don't even get a mention.
You could use the screen to throw in another screenshot. How about having the effect of screens peeling off the display before joining in the dance around the unit. Too tricky ?

Well, you could always add six more in the gaps between the six that are there.
Also, I kind of liked the screen of the menu, as it clearly shows (well, in a print-size version, it would) that it can do games, movies, music, photos and e-books without ever making any actual text about it.

Crazy Goat posted on Aug 2 2006 at 09:55 PM said:
...and considering the moment when I first saw this, I wanted to kill myself in the most gory fashion possible...

Mr.Jabberwocky posted on Aug 3 2006 at 12:29 AM said:
Considering the moment when I first saw this, I wanted the perpetrator to kill themselves in the most gory fashion possible I think you should seriously consider it.

Personally - I really do not care if you dislike it. I worked hard on it - I am happy with the outcome, and it is going into the magazines.

You're entitled to your opinion, but since you have no other way of conveying your thoughts and ideas without bashing the author - they tend not to take you seriously.

...and as such - considers you an attention-whoring child.

Magnulus posted on Aug 3 2006 at 10:19 AM said:
Right, and here's an example... The text, I just threw in there.
I'm not much of a designer, but it gets the point across in case anyone wants to embellish on it. I have the photoshop file with layers and all if anybody wants to improve it.

gp2x-moons1.jpg

That is an interesting perspective on an advertisement - but it seems hokey, and downright strange to do it in that manor.

Back