The Next Advert

I like the whole GP2X tilted center with game pics around it idea, very professional. Plus you need a nice snappy caption, something like 'Powered By OpenSource, Driven By Community' although, better obviously - but you get my point.

I would think that it would be the most important to emphasize that many high-quality games are available for free. You would need a catchy phrase though like "Why Pay For Games?" or other such variations.

Free is good, yes you definately have to big up the whole free aspect. The trouble is you also have to big up the fact that there are commercial games, or people don't take you seriously.

It's a crazy world.

Wite_Noiz posted on Jul 20 2006 at 12:40 PM said:
Nemesis/112 posted on Jul 20 2006 at 11:49 AM said:
you also have to big up the fact that there are commercial games
There are? :unsure:

Sort of, Vektar and Payback

Magnulus posted on Jul 20 2006 at 12:49 PM said:
I don't think there's much of a point in advertising games that right now don't exist on the market.

You mean like other companies don't :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to have screenshots of games on the advert, may I suggest putting a screenshot of one of the Monkey Island games on it with something staying that its easier to get Monkey Island on the GP2X than other handhelds.

The use of scummVM games on the GP2X was one of the main reasons why I got it in the first place. I think that would attract a lot of gamers from my generation, so to speak.

It has been said half a brajillion times that you just CAN'T use emulated games (ScummVM is sort of an emulator... in a way.) or games ported like Quake in an ad. The games in the ad will HAVE to be either homebrew games or one of the commercial GP2X releases.

You can tell your friends and people in general about the emulation, but you can't slap a picture of Sam&Max on an actual ad for the GP2X.

Magnulus posted on Jul 20 2006 at 07:15 AM said:
It has been said half a brajillion times that you just CAN'T use emulated games (ScummVM is sort of an emulator... in a way.) or games ported like Quake in an ad. The games in the ad will HAVE to be either homebrew games or one of the commercial GP2X releases.

You can tell your friends and people in general about the emulation, but you can't slap a picture of Sam&Max on an actual ad for the GP2X.

You can say that it emulates dozens of platforms. That way - you are not saying anything other than the fact. Not saying names, not emplying pirates. Emulation is a large part of the console - but you want to show that it is a well rounded community.

I got a broken PC dumped on me last night - and now I need to troubleshoot some of hardware - I will try to get to this as soon as I can.

Thanks everyone for the ideas - it will really help.

Magnulus posted on Jul 20 2006 at 09:15 AM said:

Why? Showing screenshots of games that the system actually runs is perfectly legal. You *BEGIN* to enter a slightly gray area with console emus where there is no common way for people to rip their own ROM files, but with ported games, disc-based emulators, and emulated engines there are millions of owners of legimitate copies of the data files (and theres always the demo files too!).

I would have no qualms about advertising Quake, Duke3D, PRBoom, ScummVM, OpenTTD.

I would be only very slightly worried about advertising console emulation features. Bleem won that court battle for us already. Sony tried to sue them for using game screenshots to compare low-res psx tv output to high-res bleem-on-pc output. details here: http://laws.lp.findlaw.com/getcase/9th/cas...7v2&exact=1

Some thigns that should get mentioned ( like a small list of games down there ) :

"Plays Nethack, SuperTux, SuperMethaneBrothers, Transport Tycoon, Ultima VII ( if that's legal ). " Just to get some linux guys to freak out.

And somehow you'll have to put emulation in. Like 'Emulates dozens (Edit: Thanks jmetal88. Still learning english ) of systems.'

Oh, and for the boys show a LadyKiller screenshot. That's how to get their attention.

Oh, I forgot. You should definately add a picture of Beat2x or Step2x. That would appeal to the many many DDR fans.

Back