The Next Advert

Mr.Jabberwocky posted on Aug 3 2006 at 04:12 AM said:
What is the advert for ?

The GP2X - you know, the think that is shown all over the page.

The screen shots at the top make it look like an advert for games. The readers eye scans down and sees some unknown device at the bottom.

Conclusion : Advert for games for some device I have never heard of - Next Page.

Thank you for your indepth analysis. Because we all know that advertisements are not to inform or introduce people to a product, but to tell them something they already knew. This advertisement is suppose to show them what the GP2X is - because they probably wouldn't know otherwise. If you show this "unknown device" with the same text we came up with, and even less screenshots - that will only make it more "unknown" to the reader - and as such, defies your entire arguement as to why the advertisement "fails miserably." If they can relate with any of the game screenshots, after reading the header "The GP2X can play your Classic Games [etc]", I am quite sure they are not as self centered as you to say "BUT THE HANDHELD WAS NOT AT THE TOP!?!!? I DO NOT KNOW AS TO WHAT THIS IS BECAUSE THE SCREENSHOTS ARE SO TINY!?!!?"

Currently there are three small images of the GP2X breaking up the available space and reducing the the usable area. Thank god it claims to only be a sample. (You are not worried someone is going to steal it, are you ?)

Three "small" images eh? Just because they don't take up half the page, doesn't mean they're small. :rolleyes: And as for the SAMPLE across the page, yes - it is to protect my work. I've had things stolen from me in the past.

Now, if you'd like - you can make your own advertisement. Instead, you'd rather insult those who can actually design something. It boggles the mind when someone looking for attention can only find it when they insult and stir the nest.

I am not a professional, no surprise there. I do this on my free time, when and where I feel like doing it. If you would like to do your own - go ahead. I highly doubt you could make anything which would classify as "publishing-worthy."

Is this the best advert ever made? No. Does it get the point across? Yes.

I consider that to be an accomplishment.

-Goat

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy Goat posted on Aug 3 2006 at 09:05 PM said:
That is an interesting perspective on an advertisement - but it seems hokey, and downright strange to do it in that manor.
Hahah! It's like when you cook something terrible for your guests, and they make sort of a nauseous face and then go "That's... interesting."
Anyway, I was just putting into action what I saw in my head when the other made their suggestions. Also: the text bit isn't part of the "design", I just threw it in there to show the full page.

And even though you might find it contrived and weird (from your hokey comment), I made a new versions with more screens. Keep in mind I don't intend for this to be a professional advert. I don't hold any illusions of grandieur as far as my design skills go.

gp2x-moons2.jpg

EDIT: If you are afraid of people stealing your work, just don't put full-size pictures in public fora.

Magnulus posted on Aug 3 2006 at 12:31 PM said:
And even though you might find it contrived and weird (from your hokey comment), I made a new versions with more screens. Keep in mind I don't intend for this to be a professional advert. I don't hold any illusions of grandieur as far as my design skills go.

That looks very cool - and if I were to do it, I would put a 3D ring around the GP2X, and super-impose those screenshots as textures on it.

Though I could probably manage it - it would be work none the less.

Nice job!

Magnulus posted on Aug 3 2006 at 12:44 PM said:
Dzz posted on Aug 3 2006 at 09:33 PM said:
It's like a golden egg nestled in a basket of fun!
Best feedback ever! Should be the slogan at the bottom, really.

GP2X
THE GOLDEN EGG IN A BASKET OF FUN!

Then the forum would be swamped with girls stating "IT WAS SO CUTE, HOW DO I GET BARBEY HOURSE ADVENTEURS ONTO IT!?"

:lol:

I'm mainly sad that you advertising types couldn't fit "Best Partner For Life Style" into your ads.

Korenglish is my favorite.

"This small-sized system in from the Nintendo ranging the game which is various it does phul Rae thu it supports the groove at Sony Sega. Motion picture, game and music the GP2X your life style is the hazard first companion because of description below,! The GP2X you the different portable electronic system all it will can transfer."

Magnulus posted on Aug 3 2006 at 06:19 PM said:
Right, and here's an example... The text, I just threw in there.
I'm not much of a designer, but it gets the point across in case anyone wants to embellish on it. I have the photoshop file with layers and all if anybody wants to improve it.

gp2x-moons1.jpg
Blimey, that's almost exactly what I was thinking!

Edit: And the second one is even better! Good work!

Seriously, I think both types of advert are good. One is chock-a-block with information, the other has just enough to make you wonder.
The kind of people to buy this system will do their own research, anyway.

Magnulus posted on Aug 3 2006 at 08:31 PM said:
I made a new versions with more screens.
That's excellent ! Nice job. Your point about the screen showing the functionality is a good one. But I suspect your real reason is because it is orange.

Nice concept Wite_Noiz. We must not forget it was your idea.

Yep, Noiz was the one who put the image in my head. As always, I am but a tool to Noiz's evil and delicious whims. Truly. ^_^

Oh, and *giggles* You used orange text! I think I love you! *giggles more*

ooh! New slogan!
"Put that in your trousers and play it!"
Or!
"The most fun you'll ever have in your trousers!"

that looks pretty neat. are we going to see craigs final design anyway? i dont wanna buy retrogamer or whatever it is it's going into

Paradox posted on Aug 3 2006 at 04:56 PM said:
that looks pretty neat. are we going to see craigs final design anyway? i dont wanna buy retrogamer or whatever it is it's going into

The last copy I posted here is the one going into Retrogamer.

D'oh! I see a screenshot of Keen 4. Is the dos emu that good now or is that a mistake?

Magnulus posted on Aug 3 2006 at 02:31 PM said:
Crazy Goat posted on Aug 3 2006 at 09:05 PM said:
That is an interesting perspective on an advertisement - but it seems hokey, and downright strange to do it in that manor.
Hahah! It's like when you cook something terrible for your guests, and they make sort of a nauseous face and then go "That's... interesting."
Anyway, I was just putting into action what I saw in my head when the other made their suggestions. Also: the text bit isn't part of the "design", I just threw it in there to show the full page.

gp2x-moons2.jpg

EDIT: If you are afraid of people stealing your work, just don't put full-size pictures in public fora.
That's awesome! I like it, nice job guys! God, the default skin is fugly. They should ship them with the Candy skin. ;)

I love the default skin, and think the Candy Skin looks amateurish..! This design lark is all about opinions!! :)

Magnulus posted on Aug 4 2006 at 12:30 AM said:
Yep, Noiz was the one who put the image in my head. As always, I am but a tool to Noiz's evil and delicious whims. Truly. ^_^

Oh, and *giggles* You used orange text! I think I love you! *giggles more*
You ol' flatterer you!

Magnulus posted on Aug 4 2006 at 12:30 AM said:
ooh! New slogan!
"Put that in your trousers and play it!"
I think that should be the GP2X slogan :D

If you'd like Craig or 'Goat, I will stick a copy of the ad into the next issue of GPJunkies magazine...

Back