The Gp2x Is Dead!

craigix said:
And let us all hope it isn't going to be $30-$40 more expensive than the GP2X.
GPH isn't that stupid. They wouldn't do that they would be dead, smaller screen but bigger price? Impossible...although this IS GPH we are talking about ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking for a sub-$100 price tag, even if it's $99.99. If it's more than that - there's no way. And, I really - really - really hope they replace the second D-Pad with 4 buttons.

DaveC said:
craigix said:
GPH isn't that stupid. They wouldn't do that they would be dead, smaller screen but bigger price? Impossible...although this IS GPH we are talking about ;)

Ahh, but better hardware. If the screen is smaller; as long as the resolution has not decreased then I will be fine with it and I imagine many people will. Especially if the entire system in miniaturised with respect to the smaller screen size.

Of course it won't perform as well as Pandora, but I honestly don't think it's trying to.

craigix said:
Not to worry. Whatever GPH decides to charge on its next handheld, Pandora will beat that hands down. :lol:

DisgruntleElf said:
craigix said:
Not to worry. Whatever GPH decides to charge on its next handheld, Pandora will beat that hands down. :lol:

I really really hope that is true.

DaveC said:
quadomatic said:
Given GPH's track record, they will at least TRY to fix these problems commented on by us, but they won't do a very good job of it.
If their "track record" is anything to go by GPH will take our comments, then do nothing or the exact opposite. We begged and begged for a d-pad to replace that dodgy stick. What did they do? They gave us 4 buttons. ED complained to them about the throw distance being too big on the F200 Psuedo d-pad, what did GPH do? Nothing. They took a system that was almost exclusively used for indie development and ripped out the net chip and put in a card reader in the F200 :rolleyes:

They seem to have a "tin ear" to what the community wants. Now they give us a China PMP MP4 player clone with two d-pads and a small screen. I hate to say it but I would bet that is exactly how it will be released. I hope I am wrong but their track record...

well like I said before a lot of the gp2x's specs came from user comments. it was originally gonna have 32mb ram but they made it 64mb due to user request.

things like the stick I guess are a bit more open to interpretation. they did try though. they made sure the mk2 stick was rotated right. with the f200 while 4 buttons doesn't equal dpad they tried to give us somewhat of a dpad and its almost as good for most gaming.

the removal of the net chip in the f200 was stupid though. we probably would have had more touch screen software if not for that. that one came out of nowhere and wasn't til after devs tried the f200 that there complaints. stupid move on gph part but i guess they were trying to save money or something.

I really hope they listen to the community with this new product. I thought the pic was fake but if GPH asked for removal of pics would seem there is truth to it. they could have 2 dpads but they still need 4 actual buttons too. the 3.5 gp2x screen is perfect size shouldn't go smaller.

@chad78: You make valid points. Its probably more my personal bias toward the GP brand name. gp2x doesn't make any real sense but I've grown to love the name.

craigix said:
DisgruntleElf said:
craigix said:

I really really hope that is true.

I would assume that GPH is aware (or at least hope it is) that it cannot compete with the Pandora head-to-head, and so hopefully it is designing a device to be produced for a certain price point (under $100) and performance at which it can coexist alongside the Pandora.

it could compete with the pandora, in that its a open source reasonably cheap gaming handheld. however i would think it would be a good idea if they sticked to SNES/neo geo/maybe ps1 emulating power.
if it was durable and did that i would go for one.

wonderswan-shmup.jpg

Wonderswan had tho similar hat switches (or 4 dir pads)

Pandora haters on GP32 spain kind of made me LOL. While it's possible, because zodtdd a close friend of GP32X and the pandora makers posted them, and then they got mysteriously taken down, it doesn't really make sense why they would do that, it's just generating more press for a future GPH handheld. Theres no such thing as bad publicity if you are as down on your luck as pandora. It does make me wonder why Engadget didn't take it down but hando and zodtdd did, eh?

Anyway, If the GP3X is anything like that, they would have done better to compete with the Pandora than the 200 other chinese PMP's.

Also, wonderswan was amazing

PoisonedV said:
Pandora haters on GP32 spain kind of made me LOL. While it's possible, because zodtdd a close friend of GP32X and the pandora makers posted them, and then they got mysteriously taken down, it doesn't really make sense why they would do that, it's just generating more press for a future GPH handheld. Theres no such thing as bad publicity if you are as down on your luck as pandora. It does make me wonder why Engadget didn't take it down but hando and zodtdd did, eh?

Anyway, If the GP3X is anything like that, they would have done better to compete with the Pandora than the 200 other chinese PMP's.

Also, wonderswan was amazing
I remember I always wanted a Wonderswan Color rly badly, but they never brought it over to the USA. Pretty disappointing.

quadomatic said:
I would assume that GPH is aware (or at least hope it is) that it cannot compete with the Pandora head-to-head, and so hopefully it is designing a device to be produced for a certain price point (under $100) and performance at which it can coexist alongside the Pandora.
If GPH beats Pandora to the punch they can do quite well. If everything else is complete and they are just working out a final design, it may just be possible. The JXD 301 created a buzz among developers without a bells and whistles CPU and GPH could do the very same.

I don't know, I seriously doubt that GPH will be able to compete with the Pandora, simply due to how community-oriented the device is. Like others have said, their track record with following up on community requested features or fixes is quite less than optimal.

Besides, by comparison it is underpowered (assuming they're sticking with the MagicEyes successor SoC) and just freakin looks weird. At this point I say too little, too late.

If it ends up coming out and is successful, I'll develop for it. But anything I do will likely be a port from the Pandora versions.

I'm pretty sure there's room for both the Wiz and Pandora in the market, I don't see them competing against each other at all. If you want a (hopefully) cheap replacement/alternative to the GP2X, buy a Wiz, if you want an all singing, all dancing "portable computer" with gaming controls, buy a Pandora.

DisgruntleElf said:
quadomatic said:
If GPH beats Pandora to the punch they can do quite well. If everything else is complete and they are just working out a final design, it may just be possible. The JXD 301 created a buzz among developers without a bells and whistles CPU and GPH could do the very same.

If by buzz you mean a bunch of people saying they're vaguely interested then doing nothing >_>

Exophase said:
DisgruntleElf said:
quadomatic said:

If by buzz you mean a bunch of people saying they're vaguely interested then doing nothing >_>

A "bunch"? Wasn't there only about 2 or 3?

Exophase said:
DisgruntleElf said:

Actually the libraries were never finished. Orkie is still attempting to obtain files to complete them. I would say there were about 5 or 6 developers at that time. The reason the JXD 301 got any attention was because the "Craiginator"(not officially named yet) wasn't available(December) and the native were restless to tinker with something. Well guess what? Pandora still ain't ready yet(8 months later) and GPH has the same opportunity the JXD 301 did.

Back