The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

@SONY: Does the game require you to be signed into Steam to play or can you still play offline after you've done the initial authentication?
No, I'm the PS3 version.

Guess I'll find out when I finally get my computer set up to play it. Why PS3 though? Your going to miss out on all the community mods when they start making them. Just curious.

Works under Wine. Bit boring at times, character creation is still awful. It's a OK game however, much better than oblivion was at least.

Hopefully mods will spice it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
@SONY: Does the game require you to be signed into Steam to play or can you still play offline after you've done the initial authentication?
No, I'm the PS3 version.

Guess I'll find out when I finally get my computer set up to play it. Why PS3 though? Your going to miss out on all the community mods when they start making them. Just curious.
I don't have a rig, brah~

or can you still play offline after you've done the initial authentication?

What is this "offline" of which you speak? It sounds scary... isn't that the computer equivalent of death? Please don't speak of it again, you make me nervous.

I picked up Skyrim via Steam and haven't attempted to play it disconnected, presumably it should work like anything else does? Although certain games from a certain group of cretinous bastard scum publishers have proved the exception to that rule *COUGH* EA *COUGH*

What is this "offline" of which you speak? It sounds scary... isn't that the computer equivalent of death? Please don't speak of it again, you make me nervous.

I picked up Skyrim via Steam and haven't attempted to play it disconnected, presumably it should work like anything else does? Although certain games from a certain group of cretinous bastard scum publishers have proved the exception to that rule *COUGH* EA *COUGH*
bought it via steam as well. There is an offline patch you can find from some razor group if you look hard enough that will let you play it offline given you have already have the files on your computer.

I like the content distribution of steam but I find it a pain in the ass sometimes to make sure the computer I'm useing is online.... I do a lot of traveling

I just received a US PS3 version of the game here in Austria, my best friend mailed it out to me from cali (nice to know i havent pissed everyone off yet)

Playing the game for 1 hour at this point, I don't have much to say really except I loved how green the world of Oblivion was compared to Skyrim. The death of winter is all around and it is a major depressor for me. Not nearly as barren as Fall Out 3 but certainly not a cheerful as oblivion. Maybe I just haven't been around enough yet but if the whole map has the same environment as the intro area it will be a let down when oblivion had different environments.

Sorry to only compare it to Oblivion but i don't know what else would be fair. I am digging it but it doesn't seem like I can level up my acrobatics, I want to be able to jump over people again!!

Well it may sound paranoid but I have a personal policy of not allowing any Windows machine to connect to the net except for unavoidable things. Like online authentication and the like. My main desktop is a FreeBSD system with all network services jailed. So yeah color me paranoid. If it requires a constant connection then I guess I'll be missing out unless I can jail/sandbox it.

Skyrim reportedly is very Wine friendly. You should be able to run it on your FreeBSD system, no?

Yes wine is a good option but I'm not adverse to using Windows to play games.

well as mentioned above, as illegal as it may be, Razor1911 did release a crack that lets you play offline

Skyrim reportedly is very Wine friendly. You should be able to run it on your FreeBSD system, no?
Very Wine friendly is a bit of an overstatement in my opinion. It works fine, most of the time, but lately I have been getting an increasing amount of crashes and occasional rendering errors. It also requires installation of several native DLLs via winetricks which, in the ideal case, should not be required either.

I'm not going to buy it through Steam, only retail box copy. To clear up my original question, as a comparison, Half-Life 2 required the Steam client to be installed and the game authenticated when installing but after that you did not need to log into your Steam account to play (i.e. offline). Though the Steam client still had to be running. I don't mind the client running, I just don't want to have to log in just to play.

Anyone with a steam copy want to do an experiment? Close Steam, pull the ethernet cord, restart Steam in offline mode and see if Skyrim will run.

Anyone with a steam copy want to do an experiment? Close Steam, pull the ethernet cord, restart Steam in offline mode and see if Skyrim will run.
Don't you have to log in to Steam to play any game downloaded from them?

If one goes offline and restarts then one is not logged in?

No. For most games you have to either download them through steam, or go online once after installing from disc; but once they're all serial-numbered, activated and that sort of rubbish, you have to launch them through the steam client, but don't need to be online to do that.

I guess there are games that demand a net connection to run every time, but that's a bug in the game, not in steam.

Edit -- I'm treating your "log in to Steam" as "connect your steam client to the steam servers by logging into your user account". You do start everything through the local steam client, but I think that's simply tied to the computer's user account and doesn't require an explicit login.

No. For most games you have to either download them through steam, or go online once after installing from disc; but once they're all serial-numbered, activated and that sort of rubbish, you have to launch them through the steam client, but don't need to be online to do that.

That's more or less what I mean.

Edit -- I'm treating your "log in to Steam" as "connect your steam client to the steam servers by logging into your user account".

Is there any other way of logging into Steam besides the client and their website? The only Steam game I own is Half-Life 2. I don't like Steam and avoid it as much as possible unless I really want the game and there is no other alternative. So I'm not very savvy with Steam but I get the idea behind it. The only digital service I use is GOG.com.

Is there any other way of logging into Steam besides the client and their website?
I can see someone using "log in" to simply mean "start the client" because it still requires a username and password. If it can't connect to the Steam servers, however, it lets you play in offline mode which still gives you access to (most of?) your games, you just can't buy, download, or activate any new ones.

Got to love GOG.com, but I must admit that I like Steam.

It's a noble effort, and the only thing I can criticise them for is not pushing hard against the likes of EA to drop their stupid additional DRM layers.

They've promised to un-encumber purchased games if they ever go broke, and until they make or break that promise we really don't know if they're good or not.

The ability to buy games with Paypal, and get them installed and running usually inside of an hour cannot be overstated. I know GOG.com does this too, but until GOG.com have the likes of Skyrim from day 1 then they're only really any use for obsessively hoarding all the classic games you loved to play.

( Yes I know GOG have The Witcher 2, and admire them for that, too )

I just finished Bleak Falls Barrow in Skyerim. It was so, goddamned, beautiful. I want moar!

If you create a desktop shortcut to a Steam game, wont that just launch the game without even needing the client? Can't say I've ever needed to do it.

Back