The Communication Cube

Last edited:
@matzesu Just for fun, you should get some distribution's live CD image, "burn" it on a usb stick, and boot from that. Ever more powerful hardware is just to keep up with the feature creep, or triple A games.

wow, Robert Taylor wanting to not discuss politics... if we get Lambda to denounce talking about how to eat/live healthily, we get a hell-freezes-over bingo.

obligatory: attempted coups are bad, please use your vote and peaceful protests to make changes, not terrorism.

• Haha
Reactions: rSl
Well, everything is Politics, even if there are only 2, they need politics to live whit each other, ..
Strange, i dont reconice us as unfriendly, shure some Topics have the Potencial to be quite unpleasant because whe are a lot of different peaple, and some are mask refusors, some are fanboys/ or girls of Trump, and there maybe also fans of Putin and Kim Jong Un..
Lots of Different Opinions, but as long as i dont have to meet some of them Personaly, i wouldnd care that much..

I would say, allone for the Multicultural Background of this Boards, its quite amazing..

Exactly. The Pyra/Pandora are what they are because of the amazing community, and while we might not all agree politically, that should matter not when it comes to (tech) interests and passions. I just see a passionate community with a shared belief in the Pyra.

If it's seen as unfriendly, then perhaps there's something there to be addressed, but I haven't seen that myself.

@RobertTaylor is not saying the community is unfriendly, he's saying someone else said so. I think he refers to this comment in Liliputing. (2020-12-30)
These days this thing is really only a fan’s only machine for people who frequent the Pyra forums (which are honestly hosting a somewhat unfriendly atmosphere nowadays) and people with more money than sense.
I think he might have been referring to racist comments or so (that were later stronger moderated IIRC). I can see how that may be unwelcoming to some. It's not nice to hear to me either. But I guess something of what I say is not nice to others sometimes, so I try to bear with it. Still human rights are human rights and opinions are opinions. But opinions on religion, spirituality, politics or economy, even those not justifying or promoting abuses against human rights, is still maybe not what people expect to find in such a forum. I think it's right to have them, at least contained in avoidable threads, but I can understand it's surprising to some.

It may also be referring to another trait that isn't really unfriendly but niche. I remember to have also felt it at the start. The community can seem somewhat closed and strange to strangers. Not everybody out there had a Pandora, or loves retro games, or is into Linux... And many many people outside this forum don't have an idea of the constraints of designing hardware for small production batches and with limited development budget. So they initially compare the Pyra offer with particular features of other devices in the market and might find it lacking. Then they see the forums full of people that value the combination of Pyra features, are aware of the drawbacks of others devices that might beat the Pyra in one of those features, but lack in others, and read that criticism is quite often frowned upon (I resented that a long time ago but now I'm doing it myself, because time being exposed to quite transparent information on the development process make one empathic with the developers), and lastly the general public is not used to have faith that any software problem will likely be resolved by the community some time after hardware release, that is very logical to free software people but quite arcane to the general consumer, which is used to be lied before buying and deceived after it when it gets software not only lacking but never really improved (sometimes incuding antifeatures in updates if any). Here they are told the nacked truth before buying and told to expect improving software with time. They may think "dear God if that's what they're selling me, how will be what I'd finally get?". To such a consumer the attitude here must look like blind faith. Considering it all together the external observer may honestly think this is a fan club that doesn't tolerate nonbelievers. Even if I don't believe the observer is right at all.

We can maybe fix something about being more respectful of human rights, considering more whether more political opinions are on topic or not (but @matzesu is right, everything is political, and it's usualy wiser to be tolerant than to strictly cut dialogue, specially when dialogue keeps people together between moments when they have something constructive to do together, and this is probably going to change now with the shippings, we'll all have more relevant stuff to talk about than politics, mystics, pandemics, etc.). Being friendly is always good, but requiring every interaction to be exquisitely positive and all including because anything less is considered intended to be abusive, that would also be unfriendly to me, I prefer to be able to asume people is not extremly thin skinned and is able to treat me also as somewhat thick skinned. And I find the balance in this forum quite right and enjoyable.

But I don't think we can fix the niche part so much, so there is going to be people who might find the place just for fans, or somehow elitist, or even not friendly to the general public. It's a little like with free software user groups, there's always the possibility that newcomers find the shared values from the existing members somewhat strange. And then it depends on why. If the group happen to work like, I don't know, women don't belong there, then the group has something to fix. But if the problem is that a free software group is not terribly interested in having some free program 100% compatible to some nonfree software that happens to be very popular but is in a situation to break compatibility whatever the free software community does, then some newcomer may consider their concerns legitimate and the group unreasonable, uncaring or unfriendly, but it's maybe a wontfix issue anyway.

In any case I think even external people will find the site more friendly when more people have their Pyras, contribute software, patches, fixes, advice or experiences, and keep improving the experience. It might be always niche, but it'll look more creative and constructive.

Last edited:
A single comment isn't necessarily representative of a general concensus. To me (our "friendliness"), it's how we welcome anyone new to the Pyra, Linux or the open source/hardware ethos - respectfully and helpfully. Otherwise all we need to do is shout about why we love the Pyra and what makes it worth waiting years for.

• Love
Otherwise all we need to do is shout about why we love the Pyra and what makes it worth waiting years for.

wUL4DE5V.jpg

I have read the recent liliputing article and there are for sure a lot of FUD comments around :(

I think that we need to present the advantages of the Pyra better (Actually NOT so slow CPU, upgradability, Ports, open-source hardware...). Most people just seem skim over the basic specs on the front page (CPU, RAM, Memory) and jump to the conclusion, that the Pyra is underpowered and overpriced.

The average consumer won't "get" the Pyra though.

The only thing to resolve those kinds of concerns re specs and usability (for that "average" user) would be more mature software and killer apps (e.g. slick emulators). Most people want to spend money on something that already does cool stuff.

The difference with us is that we're more willing to pay money to become a part of something that will develop and grow with us.

The forum seems to be undergoing something of an awakening, with more on-topic content and more active members, some new. As a result, we do need to be careful not to be too defensive and cliquey.

Quite frequently, new members ask "Why should I buy a Pyra when it costs lots of money and doesn't even have <feature>." Such people are far more likely to be won over by an explanation of why that feature wasn't included than by identity-driven dismissal. Even when the initial question seems accusatory, we can do better than that.

Could we put together a front page that better explains some of those choices? It needs an update anyway. In my mind, the international community is a better selling point than the CPU clock rate.

Oh, and regarding political world events, I think the important thing is to avoid becoming divisive. Such discussions should be truthful and respectful. Personally, I hope they take a back seat to discussion of the hardware and software we have to play with.

Does anyone here think after reading that review they will be ordering one?
You guys have only 30 seconds to make a good impression.

Perhaps not, but it's not going to be a snap decision for most people anyway - I deliberated for months before not buying (regrettably) a Pandora, and that was also down to the price. The community, and determination of EvilDragon, sold me on the Pyra, but it's going to be a very different decision for each individual. I don't think we need to rush to gain support from the general public - the Pyra is still maturing as we speak, and it has not fulfilled its full potential by a long shot.

How about after they come to a thread like this and sees politics all over the place when they are surrounded by politics all day, every day everywhere?
This is an off-topic discussion, and not really representative of the community at large - most users won't frequent these areas. Not sure why I'm here atm, to be honest... it is Pyra-related though :)

Back