The Communication Cube

probably the unfriendliness, as others have mentioned, is due to our reactions when new people don't think the Pyra is as cool as we do, and we snap back at them...

Not a single user (that isn't from here) posted anything positive. The only users that posted anything positive to balance out the conversation are a couple of people from here, done out of love for the project, the work ED has put in to complete the project and to balance out the negative feedback loop in neutral but positive way. Not a single outsider recognized a single positive feature of the project or the community.
Well, I don't know who in that comment thread is from round here. I can make some guesses, but I don't know. So, ignoring that there seems to be about the same number of posts in favour of the device as those against as I read it. Seems to be about the best we can expect in that respect.

That one near death experiencer I follow, Sandi, posts on r/exchristian a bunch. Being universalist, I have some problems with Christianity too. I was reminded of one, mankind's first sin. It's not just that the rule we broke was dumb, it's the fact that we had a 100% chance of breaking it. Given an event with any non-zero probability, and an infinite timeline, the event's probability of happening goes up to 100%. And we know the probability was non-zero, because it ended up happening. What really gets me is that Adam and Eve might've abstained for over a billion years, but still got punished anyway.

I complain about sex being impossible in Heaven sometimes, but I do hope there are things that are impossible there, because we'll be there forever. Basically, if we were given free will and an infinite timeline, Heaven would turn into a really freaky, nasty place eventually. This could also be solved by the fact that most near death experiencers say there's no time at all in Heaven, but as much as the freaky, nasty infinite timeline Heaven freaks me out, the idea of time ending freaks me out a bit more. That's essentially the same thing as what scientists think death is right now.

Sandi said that God was unlimited, but wanted to limit himself to good and loving, and that was only possible by creating places like the Earth. She said most worlds aren't like Earth though, that they're free of suffering. I've mentioned this before, but I'm repeating it because I'm trying to stay sane right now. The infinite timeline thing made me wonder if Earth is part of Heaven, just a really old part that we turned awful because we got bored. That might even be what Genesis was mentioning.

See, being unlimited means limits are possible, but once you impose limits, the place where you imposed them is no longer unlimited. You know how they wonder if God can create a rock so heavy that even he cannot lift it? He already did, and called it Earth. Fortunately, like Sandi said, he made very few Earths.

Okay, I had a few more thoughts, based on what Sandi said in her NDE testimony. When God started, before he knew what he was doing, he had created a bunch of worlds, to see which were good, and which were bad. After seeing which were bad, he stopped making bad worlds, and probably destroyed as many of the bad worlds as he could, but unfortunately had made some of them indestructible by him. Earth is one of these. I imagine he spends his days now making as many good worlds as he can, to lower the percentage of bad worlds in existence, but he still can't get rid of the bad ones that were indestructible by him. One last fortunate thing though, according to our science, our Sun and the Earth should destroy themselves eventually. God just can't do anything to speed up the process.

That's what Sandi meant when she said suffering doesn't grow, but love does. More and more good worlds keep being born now, and we'll be able to visit them when we die. No more bad worlds are being made.

You know, there's evidence that the laws of physics vary throughout the universe, specifically gravity. Some people chalk it up to dark matter, but that's creating one more entity than is necessary. I was just thinking about this, because if what Sandi says is true, most of Earth's physics don't apply to most other worlds. Shame we aren't investing more in space travel, it would be pretty cool if we got far outside our solar system and suddenly discovered the laws of physics had changed.

Given an event with any non-zero probability, and an infinite timeline, the event's probability of happening goes up to 100%. And we know the probability was non-zero, because it ended up happening.
Do you apply this kind of reasoning also to other situations or just to situations from the Bible? E.g. if a criminal chooses to murder someone do you then say that the criminal should not be punished because he just got unlucky when he made the decision to kill?

The Bible is based on a model where real free will exists and is thus not a random variable. In that model the probability that Adam and Eve sinned could have been 0. The fact that it was greater than that was their sin.

Besides, it's not even known whether God would have had the tree there for an infinite amount of time. The garden was only a small part of the Earth and the plan was to have people spread over the Earth so it's almost certain God would have changed things around later on. The tree could be one of those changes. Or maybe the tree was just a normal tree that would have died eventually and would not have been replaced.

You know, there's evidence that the laws of physics vary throughout the universe, specifically gravity. Some people chalk it up to dark matter, but that's creating one more entity than is necessary. I was just thinking about this, because if what Sandi says is true, most of Earth's physics don't apply to most other worlds. Shame we aren't investing more in space travel, it would be pretty cool if we got far outside our solar system and suddenly discovered the laws of physics had changed.
The evidence behind dark matter is this:
- If dark matter does not exist then prominent scientists were wrong
- Prominent scientists cannot be wrong
∴ It is not the case that dark matter does not exist (modus tollens)
∴ dark matter exists (double-negation)

The evidence behind dark matter is this:
- If dark matter does not exist then prominent scientists were wrong
- Prominent scientists cannot be wrong
∴ It is not the case that dark matter does not exist (modus tollens)
∴ dark matter exists (double-negation)

that's not how science works -- it's based on evidence. there are some dark-matter-free theories at the moment, and some are looking promising, but the evidence is not conclusive yet either way. prominent scientists can be wrong, but the good ones adjust their outlook based on the evidence...

Reactions: rSl
I want to die, because my life's not normal, but I don't want to go to the afterlife as described by either the Bible or NDEs, because it's not normal either.

Maybe I'll get lucky like some of the suicides on paranormal subreddits, and just wake up on an alternate timeline. Not that I plan on trying anything, but um, I'm not exactly taking care of my health either. There's no point.

and just wake up on an alternate timeline.

There's no guarantee that it would be any better than this one. I mean just imagine how much worse things would be if Hitler hadn't won WW2.. :(

Meh, normality's overrated anyway ;)

DB89-PUq-Xk-AABEy-G.jpg

• Haha
I want to die, because my life's not normal, but I don't want to go to the afterlife as described by either the Bible or NDEs, because it's not normal either.
Ecclesiastes 9
4Anyone who is among the living has hope --even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!
5For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten.
6Their love, their hate and their jealousy have long since vanished; never again will they have a part in anything that happens under the sun.

IMO the biblical "afterlife" is pretty boring. You just cease to exist. Though of course that does mean you cannot get bored of it either.

I assume the biblical position must agree with the chrtistian or jewish position, and I thought the christian position taught us about heaven and hell. Sure your body decomposes and is returned by bacteria and fungi to the earth, but your soul is meant to go on. It's not at all clear whether your soul can learn anything new, or have any kind of corporeal fun times, or experience real beauty, the things I enjoy myself, but it at least promises your consciousness won't disappear.

Of course, I personally believe that's all mumbo jumbo designed to pacify the masses, and I'm not expecting anything when I pass, but would be pleasantly surprised I guess.

I want to die,
Don't worry. I don't want to die, but the only thing I'm sure about is that we will all die.
because my life's not normal, but I don't want to go to the afterlife as described by either the Bible or NDEs, because it's not normal either.
Then write your own Bible and make it as normal as you want. Your fiction can be as good as any other. There are no evidences to build anything more than fiction, so each one can write their own,
and they've often done so in order to further more mundane agendas, not in order to match some reality that even if it existed couldn't be known.
I don't know how's your life or what a normal life would be. I'd suggest try to do whatever you can to have a more normal life, if that's what you want (why?), don't worry if it's 100% normal,
and don't worry whether afterlife, if any, is normal. Whatever you do you know you'll die someday, and you don't know what comes then (I know there's nothing more, but you don't seem to agree or be sure).
So try to survive, make the most of this life, and if you ever get to another life, replan there.
If what comes after this life depends on what you do on this, then it's an unfair game anyway, because you can't be sure of the exact rules, so just don't play and focus on this life.
You can decide what you find important in this life and derive moral rules from that, try to do whatever you think it's important and possible.
That might be better or worse in your next life if any, but at least you'll know why you did it. You won't regret so much acting from the knowledge that you had when acting as believing something that turns out to be wrong.
If this life doesn't influence afterlife, then what's the hurry to understand it ? If there's anything we'll find out some day and we aren't able to alter it anyway, so trying to get a non actuable knowledge that we'll get later anyway is wasted effort.
Maybe I'll get lucky like some of the suicides on paranormal subreddits, and just wake up on an alternate timeline. Not that I plan on trying anything, but um, I'm not exactly taking care of my health either. There's no point.
I'd say the trick is to take care of your health in ways that don't ruin the fun in life. Inform yourself as best as possible on what should you be doing to care perfectly of your health, but instead of doing all that,
start by things that can be fun or at least indifferent, then see how it goes and whether you're comfortable trying more healthy things. Bad health isn't fun anyway.
Now I'll see if I can follow any of my own advice. High time.

I'm a bit mystified by this suicide subreddit stuff. If the suiciders were successful, how are they posting on reddit, even if they're in a separate timeline? Reddit's only been around 15 years, so if they woke up in our continuity but in the 1920s or something they wouldn't be around to post on it. If they woke up in a completely different continuity, why would the internet servers that run reddit even be compatible with the ones in our continuity, and connected?

I'm a bit mystified by this suicide subreddit stuff. If the suiciders were successful, how are they posting on reddit, even if they're in a separate timeline? Reddit's only been around 15 years, so if they woke up in our continuity but in the 1920s or something they wouldn't be around to post on it. If they woke up in a completely different continuity, why would the internet servers that run reddit even be compatible with the ones in our continuity, and connected?
As someone once said: "If you commit suicide, you'll regret it for the rest of your life!". I find harder to believe that people who successfully suicided do anything at all than that they can login on any reddit. If I'd take the leap to believe people suicide and then do more things, believing their reddit and ours have some gateway would be peanuts.

Back