The Communication Cube

the second apparently just parrots the first one

It adds extra info, also I like to post multiple sources because people bitch at you if you don't.

talks about it as if it's a proven fact, it's actually just a theory peddled by a single guy so I would not change your Bibles yet without looking a bit more into it.

So 616 it is.

** COMBO BREAKER **

Did you know that the Norwegian word for TOP SPEED is TOPPFART?

100% true.
You might like German words like the following then:
Abfahrt; pronounced |up-fart|
Anfahrt; |un-fart|
Autofahrt
Ballonfahrt
Fahrtwind
Feindfahrt
Floßfahrt
Hamsterfahrt
Herfahrt
Pistenfahrt; |piston-fart|
Probefahrt
Seefahrt
Suchfahrt
Trampfahrt; |trump-fart|

Do you actually know those off the top of your head or is this that german language thing where you can just smash random words together to make new ones?
a) Not my head but wiktionary's. ;)
b) Indeed.
Can I just make shit up like LEDERHOSENFAHRT and sound respectable?
Yes and depends where you are/who you're talking to. Lederhosen are mostly associated with bavarians. So talking in Berlin about you're Lederhosenfahrt you might sound less respectable. It's tradition there to not like those Weißwurstfresser, though not everyone is traditionalist.

I have to admit: some of the stereotypes you know from germany are just missunderstanding from tourism: actually, when i was vacations in Bavaria some years ago, nobody dit wear a "Lederhosen" they only wear these maybe on something like the "Oktoberfest " in Munich, or when they make traditionell things..
The "Lederhosen" where quite in practical: pretty hot in direkt Sunshine, pretty cold in winter, therefore they also invented thougt wool clooths like loden

Every country in Germany got his own traditionell cloths, but the Bavarian Lederhosen and Dirndl where most famous, because you get that much bear on Oktoberfest..

Did you know that the Norwegian word for TOP SPEED is TOPPFART?

topkek.png

We just write Gefängnisverwalter, where you'd write prison manager.

Prison administrator.

Guess which language is less confusing in writing, when there's a sequence of nouns. ;)

It adds extra info, also I like to post multiple sources because people bitch at you if you don't.
Your ultimate source is David Parker. The first news article just parrots David Parker and the second news article just parrots the first news article and adds a bit of useless background information.

A theory is just a set of ideas used to explain phenomena. This definition is consistent with the etymology of the word. It's also the definition that I'm using so when I call something a theory then I'm making no claims about how reliable or truthful it is.
Post automatically merged:

Every country in Germany got his own traditionell cloths, but the Bavarian Lederhosen and Dirndl where most famous, because you get that much bear on Oktoberfest..
How many countries are there in Germany?

Whitespace is easy to program with if you use a good text editor that can display whitespace as characters. Like always, a good editor solves everything. And there is no better editor that the standard editor.

Your ultimate source is David Parker.

Suits me. :p

A theory is just a set of ideas used to explain phenomena.

A set of ideas backed up by strong evidence vs a hypothesis where there is no or little evidence.

It's also the definition that I'm using so when I call something a theory then I'm making no claims about how reliable or truthful it is.

So a layman's definition then rather than a scientific one.

How many countries are there in Germany?

A set of ideas backed up by strong evidence
That is a "fact".

So a layman's definition then rather than a scientific one.
In science the definition of theory that I'm using is also more common. Even theories that are generally considered to be pseudo-scientific, not backed by strong evidence, or debunked are still referred to as "theories".

As another example take "theoretical physics" which is contrasted to "experimental physics". Going by your definition experimental physics would be more theoretical than theoretical physics because experimental physics has more evidence. But mainstream science does not go by that definition. Theoretical physics is theoretical because it lacks practical evidence and is thus entirely based on theory i.e. thoughts i.e. math.

That is a "fact".

Article said:
Facts and theories are two different things. In the scientific method, there is a clear distinction between facts, which can be observed and/or measured, and theories, which are scientists' explanations and interpretations of the facts.

In science the definition of theory that I'm using is also more common. Even theories that are generally considered to be pseudo-scientific, not backed by strong evidence, or debunked are still referred to as "theories".

aaa.jpg

Edit: Sorry almost forgot, 616.

Facts and theories are two different things. In the scientific method, there is a clear distinction between facts, which can be observed and/or measured, and theories, which are scientists' explanations and interpretations of the facts.
Indeed. Facts are backed by strong evidence, and theories may not be.

Not all theories are scientific.

A theory without strong evidence backing it up you say. I've just thought of what we could call such a thing, a hypothesis.
Not if you do not know that it is not backed by evidence. Never had the need to refer to a theory without making a judgement about it's credibility? I guess you're quick to make up your mind.

They also exist in mathematics which as we all know is sciences Kutiyā. :)
Or in pseudo-sciences.

Not if you do not know that it is not backed by evidence.

Researching things is a valid way of life.

Never had the need to refer to a theory without making a judgement about it's credibility? I guess you're quick to make up your mind.

It's more like "why bother", if something isn't credible there's nothing I can do about it.

Or in pseudo-sciences.

I already mentioned mathematics. ;)

This is how much I (don't) use my mobile phone. I topped up my account with £35 last March/April time (£30 credit + £5 referral credit) and as of the current date/time of this post have £32.70 remaining.

Also in other news, snow.

Reactions: rSl

I've been watching quite a few digital art/painting videos as of late. I don't know why because I don't view myself as being arty or creative. I do take photos of stuff, but that's more for documenting occurrences than for artistic purposes due to my memory not being the best. I also don't edit the photos I take or apply filters (you can probably tell ;)) because then I wouldn't be recording things accurately.

Reactions: rSl
Back