The case of the case.

Far left button conflicts with the nub on your version, and the button combo problem I saw with Yoyobuae's is even more exaggerated on yours.
It's the same distance as the original position of the 2 buttons. In fact, it's the same, if not more, distance away form the nub as yours. I need some physical imaginary because from what I can tell, it seems alright for combos.

Plus if you're a considerate person, you would use headphones in public not turn on your speakers.
It's the public. 9/10 it will be too loud for anyone to care about your speakers. :lol:
Exactly.  So you would need your headphone to be able to hear stuff from your PYRA properly.  Therefore, speakers facing toward you or away from you doesn't mean anything.  So put them on the back of the lid to save some space for action buttons and other more important stuff :p

Therefore, speakers facing toward you or away from you doesn't mean anything.
Putting it towards you means you can hear it without turning it up as loud.When I said too loud,I meant other people around you wouldn't be able to hear or hear enough to be bothered. Not too loud as in you can't hear it yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's worth noting the existing speakers for the Pandora fill almost the entire thickness of its lid as is.  Unless far, far thinner speakers can be found (or a much thinner LCD) putting them behind the LCD means the lid has to be thicker.

Can any of you give a use case for such combinations?  Only use case for such chording I can think of is Super Mario's run and jump for the flag, but that's not a cross-the-pad combo, but two adjacent buttons.  Are there any games where you need cross-the-pad combos?
 There are a lot of games where I've pressed the buttons at the same time, or in rapid succession so that I could execute the actions at the same time or as fast as possible. (Ex: Attacking in YYH: Makyou to Issen with B while doing a backflip or dash w/ X or Z)

Did you test the Pandora speakers facing away from you?  I found no problem.  Plus if you're a considerate person, you would use headphones in public not turn on your speakers.
That's not true, there are acceptable volumes that you can hear that are not loud enough to be a bother to other people, when the source of the sound is pointed towards you.

-God Ginrai

It's worth noting the existing speakers for the Pandora fill almost the entire thickness of its lid as is.  Unless far, far thinner speakers can be found (or a much thinner LCD) putting them behind the LCD means the lid has to be thicker.
iPhone 5S, cough cough, speakers are pretty flat  (Yeah I know :) )

Okay.. I'm probably going to sound like an idiot.. but why not move the speaker over a tad then slightly raise the buttons up just enough to fit the proposed layout. Even if the nub had to move over a mm that combined with slight speaker placement change could work. Even if the other side had to be raised a tiny bit if the level is minute enough to work it might give the overall space required. Any reason to why this can't happen?

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

You can't move the speakers, there's no space.
I think he means move the speakers inward, towards the top button row. I can see why he says there is room. There looks to be room as far as the case is concerned. However, I don't know what the speakers look like on the circuit board, so I don't know if some other part of them extends under that plastic to the left of the speaker grill.

-God Ginrai

There is always room for speakers!  :D

original-game-boy-speakers-300x222.jpg

Discreetly and subtile. ;)

I think he means move the speakers inward, towards the top button row. I can see why he says there is room. There looks to be room as far as the case is concerned. However, I don't know what the speakers look like on the circuit board, so I don't know if some other part of them extends under that plastic to the left of the speaker grill.
There is a specific and detailed guide to setup the speakers properly. They need a hollow surrounding in a special size and that space needs to be completely closed off.

There is a specific and detailed guide to setup the speakers properly. They need a hollow surrounding in a special size and that space needs to be completely closed off.
So that space is being used for the hollow surrounding? Could you make a diagram like you did with the nub showing what area under the case the speakers actually take up?

-God Ginrai

So that space is being used for the hollow surrounding? Could you make a diagram like you did with the nub showing what area under the case the speakers actually take up?
It's standard speaker design.  You find out where your speaker's frequency range drops off and tune the case to that frequency.  With a high-fi speaker it's usually tuned to the bottom end to extend the bass a bit, but with portable speakers it may be tuned anywhere if there's a specific missing frequency in the speaker's footprint.  Theoretically there's also reflections to worry about, as out-of-phase reflections can knock out certain frequencies, and doubled up relfections will boost that frequency, which is why most speakers are filled with foam to soak up direct reflections, but still allow the box to resonate.

I'm stoked that this is being considered for the Pyra's in-built audio.  I get the impression that the Pandora's speakers were just stuck there next to the screen with little consideration of their enclosure (that the front side of said enclosure isn't screwed down means it's a leaky enclosure at best). The Pyra's going to sound AWESOME!

It's standard speaker design.  You find out where your speaker's frequency range drops off and tune the case to that frequency.  With a high-fi speaker it's usually tuned to the bottom end to extend the bass a bit, but with portable speakers it may be tuned anywhere if there's a specific missing frequency in the speaker's footprint.  Theoretically there's also reflections to worry about, as out-of-phase reflections can knock out certain frequencies, and doubled up relfections will boost that frequency, which is why most speakers are filled with foam to soak up direct reflections, but still allow the box to resonate.
I realize this. I am simply wishing to see how much room that is actually taking up.

-God Ginrai

It's standard speaker design. You find out where your speaker's frequency range drops off and tune the case to that frequency. With a high-fi speaker it's usually tuned to the bottom end to extend the bass a bit, but with portable speakers it may be tuned anywhere if there's a specific missing frequency in the speaker's footprint. Theoretically there's also reflections to worry about, as out-of-phase reflections can knock out certain frequencies, and doubled up relfections will boost that frequency, which is why most speakers are filled with foam to soak up direct reflections, but still allow the box to resonate.
I realize this. I am simply wishing to see how much room that is actually taking up.

-God Ginrai
if we know that then we can see if there is space. :)

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

That's why we just let ED handle all this stuff and don't confuse him with all this crazy discussions.  He sees the big picture that we don't. :)

That's why we just let ED handle all this stuff and don't confuse him with all this crazy discussions.  He sees the big picture that we don't. :)
These discussions are hardly crazy. Through discussion, we have a chance to come up with ideas that EvilDragon may not have thought about. Just because he can see the big picture doesn't mean he is able to come up with all the different ideas that are possible. One thing may seem obvious to one person that might never cross the mind of another. This is why it's best to have multiple people coming up with ideas.

-God Ginrai

Back