The Caring Corner :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@FBnil I take your point, especially re someone who's picky and for experimenting. But I'm not you.

When I cook for myself I tend to cook large batches of something that will last a few days, as the alternative is spending an hour or more on something you will eat in no time. If it's not a large batch, then it will most likely be something simple and quick (pasta and sauce, rice and fish, etc), but for me it's cooking to live.

There is little incentive to cook side dishes or combinations of elements to a meal cooking for myself, but even if it takes time, there's so much satisfaction to do that for someone else (as long as they appreciate it), but for myself it's just time spent I could have been doing something else.

Incidentally I decided to cook myself okonomiyaki (Japanese cabbage/pancake) tonight, but that is a relatively simple dish that I may have left overs for tomorrow.
[doublepost=1567873971,1567873896][/doublepost]I'm also planning on making some scones this weekend, but again I wouldn't bother if it was just for me.

I decided to cook myself okonomiyaki
drooling.jpeg

Looks like you had to put more effort into making this to show us a photo :oops: or does it always look that good?

I disagree. When you cook also for somebody else, and that person is picky, you have few choices.
Now, when alone, you can experiment with food and try stuff. And if it fails (yup, sometimes even inedible) you don't have to say sorry, just try again.
Some things are nice, like wraps with broccoli or spaghetti with spinach.
If you cook for others you probably pay some attention to what you make. If it would be for myself it would usually be the fastest easiest available thing I have in my house. I do experiment with new meals, or if I only have some odd combination of ingredients left.
Same for cleaning, if I don't make it dirty I'll probably not clean it all the time. Even if I wanted to I probably wouldn't, only I care and I can also do something more fun.
When I was a student I just used only one pan, one mug, one fork and one knife. If they were dirty I cleaned them. Even though I had a full kitchen and multiple items those were only used those for guests. That worked really well against procrastination, as it didn't cost much time to clean only a single item.

If you don't want to clean, just invite somebody over that you mind seeing an uncleaned house. That is usually motivating enough.

Looks like you had to put more effort into making this to show us a photo :oops: or does it always look that good?

xD You got me there! Actually I decided to take a photo to motivate me to be less lazy about it. I feel (one of) the best way to avoid procrastination or laziness is to put yourself to task, and make a promise to share or do something with someone else.

I made chili con carne yesterday, and still have some left for tomorrow, but that tastes better than it looks ;)

I thought that since I've posted what I look like, I might as well go the whole hog and post what Dahlia (currently) looks like as well. It's going to be in photo form because I can't draw for shit.

She looks pretty much like the following person,

but with Venom's teeth and tongue.

So probably not to everyone's taste. ;)

Odd dream time again. I was a Catholic priest who hit it off with a nun, this eventually led to a (secret) romantic relationship. Everything was going well until she died in a car accident, I then lost my love for life and ended up committing suicide, after everything went black I woke up standing in a field of flowers that stretched as far as I could see and I also felt a hand slip into mine. Cue end of dream.

Here's one that I had last night, I was fighting a statue of Buddha in my backyard.

I've been practicing remembering my dreams as of late, I'd also like to have more lucid dreams.

I can never remember my dreams. If I try to recall the last one on waking, I can feel the memories being discarded as nonsense in my head. I can only write down a few lines of outline if I have a pad ready, and even then it's only really the final state of the dream, without any of the plot that might have led there. Plus my last dream is I suspect often a little more freaky as it's disturbed more by morning traffic and the heating coming on.

Scientists reckon you only dream in REM sleep, and I think the bulk of my night is probably spent in deep sleep, only starting to dream towards the end. I still probably spend an hour or two in REM sleep, dreaming up shit, but I normally only have an impression of the last thing when I wake due to an alarm clock. If I wake naturally I was often not actually dreaming when I wake.

I tried lucid dreaming when I was younger. You can end up in a state of semi-consciousness that leaves you in control of dreams which can help prevent nightmares (e.g. turn falling off a cliff to flying).

Unfortunately the other side of that is what is sometimes called sleep paralysis where again youre semi-conscious: dreaming yet aware of your surroundings, but also entirely paralyzed. Have a bad dream with sleep paralysis and you never have problems remembering it (often the dream "manifestation" is of a shadowy figure that evokes inexplicable and uncontrollable terror in the sleeping individual)

(often the dream "manifestation" is of a shadowy figure that evokes inexplicable and uncontrollable terror in the sleeping individual)

This will make me sound terribly edgy but I doubt something like that would bother me. The reason why is because one night I woke up to discover that my depression et al had worked out how to do visual imposition, and the sight of the things that have bothered me for most of my life manifested in the flesh (so to speak) is I feel slightly worse than a shadow shaped like a person. They've only tried something like that once because since then Dahlia and I have been pretty successful at keeping them in check.

I used to have dreams where I was running around, then learned to jump and to jump really high soon. The next step was jumping and staying afloat. I had to practice that, got better at sustaining and controlling the flight. Felt bloody awesome to go around tree tops and roofs really fast. When losing concentration I would fall down at high speed, giving me that feeling in the stomach. Hitting the ground would mean waking up. Exhilarating and immensely pleasurable. Damn, it's been a long time since I've dreamed that.

If you haven't seen it, here's a movie suggestion: Waking Life

I used to have dreams where I was running around, then learned to jump and to jump really high soon. The next step was jumping and staying afloat. I had to practice that, got better at sustaining and controlling the flight. Felt bloody awesome to go around tree tops and roofs really fast. When losing concentration I would fall down at high speed, giving me that feeling in the stomach. Hitting the ground would mean waking up. Exhilarating and immensely pleasurable. Damn, it's been a long time since I've dreamed that.

If you haven't seen it, here's a movie suggestion: Waking Life
It's a little different for me, but I have had dreams of being able to float if I concentrate really hard since I was a toddler (so long before Matrix or seeing any anime or superhero stuff) and still have one of those once or twice a year (more frequently in the past). The height in which I float always depends on how much I am able to concentrate. Sometimes I only manage a meter, sometimes 30 and everything in between, only a few times about 100m though.

Last edited:
When I was younger I was pretty successful at lucid dreaming. It started when I was having recurring nightmares and discovered that I could change them if I focused enough and forced me to think of what I wanted to happen. Then I was able to steer my dreams in some directions, as long as I realized I was in a dream.
I remember one night where I got bored with my dream and decided to go to sleep within the dream. I created a small room with a comfy bed and climbed in, it felt soo comfortable, I woke up feeling completely rested.

But for the last few years I rarely remember my dreams.

One of my weird dreams is where I saw this shoeless guy running.
And he was being chased by "them", ruling class synthetic humans, indistinguishable from humans but for the brainwaves. They have patterns and real humans had white noise due to random thoughts (something a few humans could actually "pick up", but kept quiet about it). I really wanted to give him my shoes, but we both knew all property was RFID'ed at cellular level and thus, traceable. There was no cash money, so all I could give him was an apple. Which came an hour ago from my dispenser fridge that also counts calories and auto-refills with underground tubes, but dosed so you can not over-eat (one sweet snack a week, for example). The fridge was full of boxes that moved around presenting you the one you requested. Preferences on the fridge captured cheap food of the day, so you could get home, and because the fish was cheap that day, your fridge would have stored fish, already deducted your credit. Houses were small and not comfortable.
There were many rules in that society, all enforced and fined. Very few humans left. Very few people on the street. The guy then kept running, and I felt sadness that I could not help.

@ElPoco: Will try that: sleeping inside a dream...

One of my weird dreams is where I saw this shoeless guy running.
And he was being chased by "them", ruling class synthetic humans, indistinguishable from humans but for the brainwaves. They have patterns and real humans had white noise due to random thoughts (something a few humans could actually "pick up", but kept quiet about it). I really wanted to give him my shoes, but we both knew all property was RFID'ed at cellular level and thus, traceable. There was no cash money, so all I could give him was an apple. Which came an hour ago from my dispenser fridge that also counts calories and auto-refills with underground tubes, but dosed so you can not over-eat (one sweet snack a week, for example). The fridge was full of boxes that moved around presenting you the one you requested. Preferences on the fridge captured cheap food of the day, so you could get home, and because the fish was cheap that day, your fridge would have stored fish, already deducted your credit. Houses were small and not comfortable.
There were many rules in that society, all enforced and fined. Very few humans left. Very few people on the street. The guy then kept running, and I felt sadness that I could not help.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back