The Caring Corner :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TV commercials always seem to be either a black couple, an old guy in his 80's with a twenty year gold wife, and a guy with brown hair with a black wife with an afro... That's the current trends, oh and old white lawyers trying to get you to sue everything.

I hardly watch TV. I prefer to keep my IQ above room temperature, and most of the time when I watch a tv show I feel stupidity flow over me and my intelligence being sucked out of my skull with a spiral straw.

Idk, I seldom watch tv.

I hardly watch TV. I prefer to keep my IQ above room temperature, and most of the time when I watch a tv show I feel stupidity flow over me and my intelligence being sucked out of my skull with a spiral straw.

i watch Netflix, to avoid the ads. despite avoiding those brain dimmers, most shows are pretty dumb (i watch those to unwind sometimes), but i recognize that and try to make fun of the stupid things people do (and decisions which wouldn't fly in real life, conversations which would damage relationships more than help). there are some shows with a bit more thought behind them (Continuum, for example, seems a little bit more thought-provoking than most).

i was raised in ND, so MN isn't too far away. i know there's crap everywhere, but i thought midwest crap "could be worse". sorry to hear about the stuff you're going through and had to deal with.

(Continuum, for example, seems a little bit more thought-provoking than most).
Once I found out about it I kept up with it. It is kinda fun, although I did find myself irritated by some things. Usually if I enjoy a show for one reason and can point out the flaws (and appreciate the consistency, either real world or in universe) it becomes a favorite, however I doubt I will go back and watch Continuum again. I got bored while watching an episode or two a second time, and I suspect the same will be true if I started over again.

I hate venting,

But I feel stuck in a rut. I forced into my career path by my parents and I am truly, with all my heart and soul, starting to resent it.

Maybe it's the fact I could be making more money at a bleedin' Walmart.

Maybe it's because my biggest fear has come true. I loved welding, but all of these companies have sucked my enjoyment right out of it.

I am starting to think my entire mindset isn't good for this line of work. I like thinking, and I am getting sick of 110 degree rooms, every place not having AC, and sweating out a gallon of fluid every day.

I feel like I am starving, and once again it is affecting my life. I want to do something else, but I have no idea what I can or even realistically do. This is infuriating.

Perhaps working at a Walmart for a while might make options clearer. A friend of mine ended up as a translator and novelist after several very different (mostly low paying) jobs.

I've struggled with suicidal thoughts for longer than I should have, starting at an age they shouldn't have (around 15). The core of the issue kept changing over time, starting with a lack of belonging. What would I do if people I cared about just left my life? What about the things I care about? What if those things don't lead into bigger things and I fail? The issue was never addressed; I sort of just pushed it to the back of my head, cared less, and eventually forgot. Guess I must've grown out of it because of that apathy, seeing as how I don't care much for "belonging" to part of a whole. Except for work. That's kind of important. And certain social settings such that I'm not the odd one out. Or a wallflower.

Then came the phase of floating through college, not knowing what to do and constantly fearing failure (which is a horrible thing to do) because of it. I wasn't prepared at all, and those thoughts of just disappearing kept creeping up. Well, if you want a respite from daily stresses and fears, then...y'know. It IS college, after all. I should point out, at this juncture, that no bottle, substance or form of escape will cause problems to go away; those problems will still be there after the fun's done. That's the #1 thing I learned during those experiences. At least I got that first-hand experience early.

But after I dropped out though? Man...it's like my worst fears just hit me at once. I felt like nothing but a failure. Just another statistic. I came to the conclusion that I just wasn't much of a go-getter (at the time; I refuse to be thought of as anything else now), and that was the core issue of all my problems. I wanted to make the change (I eventually did), but I felt as if it was too late. Even my dad told me, the day I left the campus, that the expression on my face made me look like I wanted to off myself. Well...I'm not a very hard read anyway (except that, when I think I have a blank look on my face, people sometimes tell me I look mad or angry, even though I'm not). I felt like coming to terms with that AFTER I failed miserably was too late, and there was no hope for me.

Outside of a lack of initiative, I had deeper-rooted problems with myself. I'm not going to go into detail as to what the problems were or how I confronted those issues and how I made the change, but I eventually did. Getting a job and working hard at it certainly helped, but only with my work ethic.

Even now, as I'm moving forward with my life, as I'm presented opportunities to upgrade my life, I sometimes wonder if maybe I should just check out. However, I'm stronger now. Rather than have those thoughts hover over me like a knife on a string, I acknowledge that they exist in my head and focus on things I couldn't accomplish if my head stops working for good. The Devil and I seem to have some similar interests, but since he's not real, I suppose killing myself would be a terrible way to try meeting such a character.

...this is the kind of shit that shouldn't even be on a tech forum. I blame the Europeans. The forum's reason for existing, the person who created this thread, and many of the spirits I like led to this.

...this is the kind of shit that shouldn't even be on a tech forum. I blame the Europeans. The forum's reason for existing, the person who created this thread, and many of the spirits I like led to this.

It isn't just a Euro thing. The general open vibe in the project attracts a generally open community. I have argued it out online and agreed to disagree with a bus load of people here on many technical topics. But, though we generally argue like most other more or less functional families, I would rather walk with them through dark and unfamiliar streets than without them. Cheers mon.

Well i lost my oldest friend the other day. Still can't believe he took things as far as he did and their really is not way for us to patch what has happened.

Basically he was annoyed I was still friends with an ex of his, I had work paying for my flights to the state she was in and I was going to catch up with her along with some other friends. She told me she got into an argument with him and she blocked him as she was just over the drama and then all of a sudden I get him messaging me demanding I cancel my flights so we can spend the weekend together to patch our relationship.

I tell him no that's ridiculous and calm down as he seems obsessed as he gave a laundry list of things that this girl has been up to since they broke up not realizing how creepy stalkery it seemed. He only went out with this girl for like a month and it was 9 months ago. He just flips his shit and then starts trying to fuck me over with everyone. Messages my fiance and pretty much tells her I am cheating on her with this girl. Messages my sister and other family members doing the same all out of concern. Makes Facebook posts messages everyone who is a mutual friend doing the same. It was kinda funny on facebook I replied to him just going ffs nothing is going on and calm down and he posted all our private communication not realizing how bad it made him look.

Anyways things are fine between my fiancee and I and well everyone. Everyone can see exactly how it is. The funny thing is I was crashing at this girls new boyfriends house and it was pretty funny when he messaged this guy saying all this shit after he found out I was crashing there a few days and he was like dude I was there I can guarantee nothing happened between them (They hooked up the last time I was in town partly due to my introduction) Anyways this is the really cut down version, so much other stuff happened but yeah I am not writing a novel :p

Anyways good riddance I suppose, I lost contact with this guy years ago because of shit like this but we always figured it was the booze and shitty wife which caused it. Now he has cleaned up his act and left the wife I guess that is just him. I can't be friends with someone who will use my family against me.

Anyways anyone who feels sad about their situation work out. It triggers happy things in the brain and builds self confidence. Just do it :D

I'm relatively new here but.... @DrHAX knows that he needs to VENT. It's way too hot for him. @tigerroast has been depressed for a LONG time. His family/friends know. He needs a relationship with God or a fistful of meds. DON'T "off" yourself. There are a lot of people that you may not even realize, that would be grief-stricken by your untimely death. Fight for LIFE. @kasp, you're probably better off. It sucks losing your oldest friend, but you know that you can't trust him. Just give him good advice as you cut that boat loose from the dock...

@FlapJack I know that such a train of thought is relatively rare among ex-Christians, but my former relationship with God certainly wasn't helping with those thoughts. I already made it a bad habit stressing over trivial BS at the time, making big deals over small things that didn't matter, and feeling like an ass over what could and couldn't be interpreted as sin did the opposite of make me a good person. I went to a Catholic high school, but I grew closer with my more-religious Baptist friends because of their stricter interpretation of the Bible (no Purgatory, dying without sin on you is the only way to get to Heaven, baptism starts a life-long commitment to God and is therefore a choice, etc.) and because most of my peers were hypocrites in my eyes. How can you call yourself a Christian when you fail to hold up the pillars of our faith?!

Then I tested the pillars of my faith, my faith wavered, and a long road of re-programming my mind to live in a world without God released the burden of having to deal with pleasing God and led to the current, happier me. Releasing said burden helped a lot with those thoughts as well.

Not wanting to be at God's right hand because He doesn't exist disincentivized dying for me.

Also, changing the tone, I was cleaning my room and found the old, empty bottle of Bulleit bourbon my dad shared with me, and the part of your response talking about who'd be grief-stricken reminded me of that just now. Way to make me feel like an ass, bro XD

I was told of these events from yesterday: Someone I know was out running errands and stopped at a drug store near an intersection. Her attention was drawn to what seemed to be a leaf that was blown into the street that turned out to be a frog. Since the location is a very busy intersection on a multilane road she wanted to run out there to pick up the frog and move it, however due to the traffic being a risk to her life, she decided against it and tried not to watch. She was surprised to see that the frog seemed to know what it was doing, and she said it was like watching real life Frogger. It would stop in a safe place when cars were approaching, and moved around to expertly navigate the traffic. The frog made it safely across the street.

^ Mad skills!

I guess natural selection and a long time of human traffic has brought us real frogs which are able to play Frogger in real life. oO

BTW: The Postal games actually have quite a therapeutic effect as I've discovered, especcially Postal 2. :D
Runs perfectly via PlayOnLinux/WINE too.

I guess there aren't too many roads that run only a single carriageway of 5 lanes that run next to a river that regularly carries logs and turtles, next to some caves where crocodiles live, for frogs to evolve to play real-life full frogger though ;)

Good point. Aside from the caves and crocs this frog seems to be from the perfect place for real life Frogger. Since we had some flooding here recently the roads were also like rivers last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back