The Caring Corner :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, nomatter the situation - repeat to yourself in your mind: "All is as it should be. I am exactly where I need to be. Only this present moment is important. I accept whatever happens - I will always be given whatever experience I need to grow. All is as it should be. I am here, now."
You're into stoicism muchly? ;)

Also, nomatter the situation - repeat to yourself in your mind: "All is as it should be. I am exactly where I need to be. Only this present moment is important. I accept whatever happens - I will always be given whatever experience I need to grow. All is as it should be. I am here, now."
You're into stoicism muchly? ;)
Oh wow! Thanks for introducing me to that subject, I never knew!

Reading through it, I believe I must be a natural born Stoic without even knowing it. How cool. ^_^

Constantly regard the universe as one living being, having one substance and one soul; and observe how all things have reference to one perception, the perception of this one living being; and how all things act with one movement; and how all things are the cooperating causes of all things that exist; observe too the continuous spinning of the thread and the structure of the web.—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, iv. 40.
and

The ancient Stoics are often misunderstood because the terms they used pertained to different concepts in the past than they do today. The word 'stoic' has come to mean 'unemotional' or indifferent to pain, because Stoic ethics taught freedom from 'passion' by following 'reason.' The Stoics did not seek to extinguish emotions; rather, they sought to transform them by a resolute 'askēsis' that enables a person to develop clear judgment and inner calm.[19] Logic, reflection, and concentration were the methods of such self-discipline.Borrowing from the Cynics, the foundation of Stoic ethics is that good lies in the state of the soulitself; in wisdom and self-control. Stoic ethics stressed the rule: "Follow where reason leads." One must therefore strive to be free of the passions, bearing in mind that the ancient meaning of 'passion' was "anguish" or "suffering",[20] that is, "passively" reacting to external events—somewhat different from the modern use of the word. A distinction was made between pathos (plural pathe) which is normally translated as passion, propathos or instinctive reaction (e.g., turning pale and trembling when confronted by physical danger) and eupathos, which is the mark of the Stoic sage (sophos). The eupatheia are feelings that result from correct judgment in the same way as passions result from incorrect judgment.The idea was to be free of suffering through apatheia (Greek: ἀπάθεια) or peace of mind (literally, 'without passion'),[21] where peace of mind was understood in the ancient sense—being objective or having "clear judgment" and the maintenance of equanimity in the face of life's highs and lows.For the Stoics, 'reason' meant not only using logic, but also understanding the processes of nature—the logos, or universal reason, inherent in all things. Living according to reason and virtue, they held, is to live in harmony with the divine order of the universe, in recognition of the common reason and essential value of all people. The four cardinal virtues of the Stoic philosophy are wisdom (Sophia),courage (Andreia), justice (Dikaiosyne), and temperance (Sophrosyne), a classification derived from the teachings of Plato.

Constantly regard the universe as one living being, having one substance and one soul; and observe how all things have reference to one perception, the perception of this one living being; and how all things act with one movement; and how all things are the cooperating causes of all things that exist; observe too the continuous spinning of the thread and the structure of the web.—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, iv. 40.
Translations of these are free at "Project Gutenberg", here is the English one:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2680

I've read the German translation of it on my Kindle a while ago, because I cannot comprehend ancient Greek. ;)

But mind, that Marc Aurel was a late neo-stoic and the older ones are a bit more extreme in some aspects.

He managed to become emperor although he was a philosopher. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Constantly regard the universe as one living being, having one substance and one soul; and observe how all things have reference to one perception, the perception of this one living being; and how all things act with one movement; and how all things are the cooperating causes of all things that exist; observe too the continuous spinning of the thread and the structure of the web.—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, iv. 40.
Translations of these are free at "Project Gutenberg", here is the English one:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2680

I've read the German translation of it on my Kindle a while ago, because I cannot comprehend ancient Greek. ;)

But mind, that Marc Aurel was a late neo-stoic and the older ones are a bit more extreme in some aspects.

He managed to become emperor although he was a philosopher. :)
Awesome. Thanks for that. :)

Interesting ... in the end it always boils down to having faith. Either faith in some god(s), faith in fate or the universe or even  just yourself ... whatever works for you.

Find what your faith is, it will help you through any situation you may encounter. Because it helps you not letting yourself down, which usually is the main problem. Sure, there's always what's around you that causes you trouble, but getting though there is always a matter of making yourself do it.

Hey maybe we should send some love and care to craig rothwell!! OR NOT!!!

We should send a bunch of evil care bears around to his house. They can knock the stuffing out of him.

evil_care_bear_by_jisthefox-d4at58r.png

a-cute-hq-animals-4.jpg

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
If you guessed this one is not like the others,
Then you're absolutely...right!

Hey buddies :)

One of my friend (a woman) have been literally flushed out by her ex-boy-friend last week. Since then she feels useless and rubbish. I tried hard to drive her selfesteem higher, but so far I failed. She is very depressed.

I know time will help, but I would like to see a smile on her face... like now.

Any idea how to reach my goal ?

Any idea how to reach my goal ?
I would try getting her involved in something totally different. Take all focus away from the depression, esteem, ex-boyfriend etc. and just concentrate on the new activity.
Pick something that's easy to get into, but have scope for improvement - ie, bicycle rides, where you can do a short trip in the countryside (or something), then do longer and longer rides, adding hills etc.

You (might) find that as she improves, she'll get more confident with the activity, then with herself...

Everyone I know seems to be broken inside.
Everybody hurting just from being alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw2_XUyBXx8

I've walked this road so many years
I've worn down all my boots, I've cried all tears
So many crossroads left behind
So many choices burned into my mind

Maybe it's not enough
Maybe this time it's just too much
Maybe I'm not that tough
Maybe this time the road is just too rough
To take me home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URPfzUmEA4k

The thunderbird began to cry
The music died away
The thunderbird began to cry
And smoke was slowly drifting by

Where do you go, fantastic dreambird?
Answer to my yearning
Take me away from here

Where do you go, fantastic dreambird?
Take me away somewhere
Take me away from here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKB2x0DyS9A

That sounds good advice, longer term regular new activities to occupy her mind and hopefully, like if cycling in a local group, will meet some nice new people and perhaps a new bloke will swoon her even.

Maybe treat her to a nice day out too, bit of shopping, an exhibition, then some dinner and a stand up comedy show followed by a drink in a nice bar afterwards... Make a whole day and night of it. So she knows she can have a nice time still with other friends that care for her, like you.

Best advice I got really, I'm not good at those sort of things myself

Yeah... me either.

I'm likely to congratulate a person when they experience a break up.... and tell them that all they ever needed was themselves and now they have the wonderful opportunity to be on their own...

To make sure they musn't try to fill the gap... to sit with themselves and the pain and dig through it for as long as they need to until they no longer desire companionship from others... etc. etc.

I would try to console her by telling her it wasn't real... a symbiotic fantasy that has now thankfully shattered... now she has the opportunity to discover truth within herself and be truly happy, instead of the illusion of happiness that has been taken from her (as a blessing).

Yeah... from experience, people just don't want to hear it. They want to be miserable and they want to be attached. I think it's insane, but hey... i'm not really human so...

Disclaimer: I have no issue with companionship, just so long as there is no attachment / need / dependency / expectation or desire/wanting (other than to share/reflect the Truth within).

One's relationship should be entirely focused on the Truth within yourself, and any outer relationship should serve only as a mirror for the relationship within. As soon as your focus becomes the other person, then you have 'Fallen' inlove, and Fallen into miasma and delusion.

Edit: Disclaimer: Loving someone and falling inlove with someone are two entirely different things and should not be confused. Falling inlove is only recommended for those who still have a lot to learn and need to learn it in a hurry.

@Garrett: *huggles* :( . How are you feeling now, hun?
Hey, thanks for that! ^_^ .. getting on quite well with the service users (which is more than I can say for the majority of my colleagues) & am feeling a little more confident with the protocols/procedures etc.

Not really looking forward to the Xmas holidays though, as I'm working the majority of them with all of my least favorite colleagues..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back