Test-Run of the 1GHz Pandoras happens today (2012-07-05)

So what was the final analysis of the initial four runs of 20? When will the remaining 1ghz units be produced? (Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I've been watching this thread and don't remember seeing answers to these Important Questions.)

GC are trying to get the fail rate to below 5%.

The 1Ghz chip does not like high heat - it bends, which is kind of awkward when populating a board.

Ed has spoken to them and they are speaking the best possible engineer who consults on these chips, so we're pretty confident it will work out well.

Good news.Im sure G.C will get the process down smooth for the 1ghz units.Im sure its hard to foresee such stuff in advance.Roll on 1ghz pandoras next week!

The 1Ghz chip does not like high heat - it bends, which is kind of awkward when populating a board.

Ed has spoken to them and they are speaking the best possible engineer who consults on these chips, so we're pretty confident it will work out well.
Would that be the guru in München ED?

Gosh i cant wait to get my hands on the 1ghz pandy.It should arrive by thurs/fri. Uae 2.o here i come/android etc.

I will do an unboxing/review video at first. then i will tinker with it for a while and make some mental miggy movies.

Gosh i cant wait to get my hands on the 1ghz pandy.It should arrive by thurs/fri. Uae 2.o here i come/android etc.

I will do an unboxing/review video at first. then i will tinker with it for a while and make some mental miggy movies.

Wonder if itl arrive in Ireland faster then it does in the Netherlands :)

Il make sure to post a screenie in the general section :)

After i put some emulators in it, il try and see what dosgames run nicely on the 1ghz panda and post my findings.

Maybe we can start a 1ghz dosbox/Qemu tread and post our test results in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is the 1ghz soc a drop in replacement that still uses the same pcb as the older pandora's?

Not that it matters much, just curiosity.

Id hope it will get to ireland faster.Lol. yeah we could do a dosbox/qemu thread.I hope it's not too tricky to get qemu up and running.

And yes it's the same pcb and just a drop in replacement soc.It would be costly to change the pcb at this stage.

Id hope it will get to ireland faster.Lol. yeah we could do a dosbox/qemu thread.I hope it's not too tricky to get qemu up and running.

And yes it's the same pcb and just a drop in replacement soc.It would be costly to change the pcb at this stage.

K, cool , i was thinking that with the socs being more flexible, that the pcb would have to be more flexible too.

Qemu should be ok to do if you configured virtual machines before.

Besides, theres pre installed dos images on the Pandora Qemu wiki, you can run them and install a game into them.

Just need some Dos knowledge to get the games installed.

Lets hope UPS does their job, if Craig send them out today, people living in country's close to England should get their unit this week :) :)

Yes, you may start a dozen possible threads!

Uhm? Why..? o_o

Feedback :) , Craig wants to see results, if we post our findings it will help the team to make an even better product.

The more information we give, the better.

But not only problems, also feedback on how software runs, i am gonna try and install windows 98 in Qemu, just for the heck of it, never hurts to tell people how it runs.

From what i read off the Qemu wiki, Age of empires is playable on Windows 95 on the Pandora.

So il try Diablo, Starcraft, etch in win95, and post results.

hmm i have a few questions.let's start from the fact that i always wanted a pandora,but i refraiend for a reason(cost,mainly)or another..now that's a new one and more powerful coming out i'm really intrerested but i have a few questions

1)if it supports android,will supprots also all the emulators made for android?i have samsung galaxy s2 phone,and the emulators i got for it,psx,snes and even n64 are really amazing,(especially in terms of speed)so i was wondering if they will work the same on the new pandora

2)if i buy this test version,will i have some downsides comapred to the final version or its basically the same?

3)more like of a wishful thinking..since we have now a more powerful system....any dreamcast emulator on the horizon???

hmm i have a few questions.let's start from the fact that i always wanted a pandora,but i refraiend for a reason(cost,mainly)or another..now that's a new one and more powerful coming out i'm really intrerested but i have a few questions

1)if it supports android,will supprots also all the emulators made for android?i have samsung galaxy s2 phone,and the emulators i got for it,psx,snes and even n64 are really amazing,(especially in terms of speed)so i was wondering if they will work the same on the new pandora

2)if i buy this test version,will i have some downsides comapred to the final version or its basically the same?

3)more like of a wishful thinking..since we have now a more powerful system....any dreamcast emulator on the horizon???

1-It should be able launch most stuff, some games dont launch tho, but for example they tried the android n64 emulator and it works, however, the pandora got its own versions of emulators available, and those are just as good.

2-i think hardware wise itl remain final, but there might be some firmware revisions required and other future software updates to get the most out of the 1ghz unit.

3-I think someone might try DC emulation, but i dont expect it to be full speed on the 1ghz unit.

On the beagleboard (600 mzh, 128mb ram, older sgx) it runs about 3/4 frames per second, the 1ghz unit might push around 10 fps out of it, thats not fast enough.

3-I think someone might try DC emulation, but i dont expect it to be full speed on the 1ghz unit.

On the beagleboard (600 mzh, 128mb ram, older sgx) it runs about 3/4 frames per second, the 1ghz unit might push around 10 fps out of it, thats not fast enough.

You know about this video, don't you?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vXJ0WtWGRLE?feature=oembed

Yep, seen that one too, its why i dont expect much more then 10 fps on an overclocked 1ghz unit.

This runs already at around 7fps and more on a devboard, a bit more should be possible :) .

Back