SuperZaxxon v1.71 (final major release) released!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, finally, after some issues we had with v1.70, we can release v1.71.
Not much has been changed since v1.70 - mostly the bug that caused us to remove the download for 1.70 has been fixed.

This will be the last major release. Future upgrades will only be bugfixes and Pandora-specific package updates (i.e. if Fussili gets an update), but won't add new features anymore.

Note: if you are going to install the update through "Upgrade Pandora OS", from v1.61 or lower, you need to make sure to run the update to completion. If the update fails for some reason, like Internet connection problems, please run the update again and let if finish. After it successfully finishes (but not earlier), you need to reboot as the system may be unstable until restart due to updated libs.
(It is suggested to run it at least twice, to make sure all packages are installed properly!)

However, since a LOT has changed, be prepared that the update fails and you might need to do a full flash!

Here are the fixes since v1.70:

• FIX: broken SGX driver on rebirth units (collateral damage from changed default driver for 1GHz)
  • FIX:  pndnotifyd not detecting PND changes after SD card reinsert (long standing bug)
  • NEW: added ca-certificates (to make git, wget, browsers work with https)
DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
Upgrading from a previous SuperZaxxon version (1.5x or newer):

Use the "Upgrade Pandora OS"-Version (PLEASE READ NOTE ABOVE!)
Please note:
User-Modified configs will not not be overwritten with the new version.

Be sure to backup any important data you might have in your NAND for the above reasons.
It is recommended to do a full flash in case you are encountering any issues.

Upgrade instructions using the Full-Flash-Image:

Download SuperZaxxon Final v1.71 

Please note: Flashing the new firmware will put your unit back into a default state. All your settings and users will be lost. Of course, this does not apply to PNDs which save their stuff on the SD-Card.

To install it, simply extract the archive onto the root of your SD Card.
Insert the SD Card into the left slot. Keep R (shoulder) pressed while switching on your Pandora and select "Boot from SD1"
It will then flash the firmware onto the NAND. After it's finished, reboot your Pandora and patiently wait until the First Boot Wizard appears on the screen.

If "Boot from SD1" doesn't appear, try to reformat the SD Card using Panasonic SD Formatter, recopy the files and retry.

Enjoy  :)

Awesome. I am upgrading right now! Now I can't wait for the Pyra. Excellent job on finding that SD PNG problem.

I've just downloaded this, and extracted it to my SD card, booting from SD1 it says

reading boot.scr

5136008 bytes read
## Executing script at 82000000
Wrong image format for "source" command
script failed

Edit 1: Urh, just downloaded 1.61, and that does the same! What do I do now?

Edit 2: Oh, it seems you can only fullflash from an SD card with only one partition (or at least, it wouldn't run from my Applications SD which has 1x FAT32 and 1x EXT2 partitions; should have checked my other card first which has 2x FAT32 partitions). I found a spare SD card that only had one FAT32 partition

Edit 3: My battery says it's at zero %, despite it being fully charged last night. I'm "charging" it again, hope this isn't going to be a problem :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks notaz as always for keeping the kernel up to date. Sad to here this will be the last major update though. Oh well, everything has to slowly come to an end I guess :)

Has zram been disabled on this release?

No problems otherwise - thanks!

[edit] whoops - just noticed I have NAND read errors, guess it's time for a full reflash...

[edit2] ok, zram is still gone after reflashing...

Strange... Just had it show up on the second reboot after reflashing. On the first reboot, there wasn't even a mention of zram in the dmesg...

just upgraded from 1.70 to 1.71 using the 'Upgrade Pandora OS' option,   seems to have worked fine and no problems in initial post upgrade testing.

Hmmm - I just get "Updating package lists..." when I use the "Upgrade Pandora OS" option...

UPDATE: Took ages but worked in the end - probably network issues. Seems to be working fine though!

just updated from sd card, all my pnds working. Only my wifi connection doesn't accepting my password, i see the access point, but coud not connecting. Strange.

Nice that the install script (Update Pandora OS) retries if the wget fails - mine always fails the first time. This is the only time I've been able to update the OS without having to do it twice :)

D.

Updated successfully with the menu option "Upgrade Pandora OS" with no glitches apparent after an hour of playing with it .. Seems pretty solid.  Nice work team!

Update was seamless on both my NAND and SD installs. Thanks, notaz!

Back